Norwegian Gratuities

AuTiger7

The poster is... If you remove the daily surcharge those you tip see less than a penny of any dollar tip you give them...

Imagine expecting to see a dollar tip and getting a penny...

The room stewards are given lists of those who removed the surcharge. The waiters know when they slide your card...

Its best to leave the daily surcharge effective and tip above that. They can then keep the full extra tip...

And this is why, imo, the DSC should be included in your cruise fare and not removable at all.

If somebody really did have bad service, and asked for an adjustment to the DSC, then all the staff would know that. What an uncomfortable position for the person adjusting the DSC and for the staff.

And this is why, imo, the DSC should be included in your cruise fare and not removable at all.

If somebody really did have bad service, and asked for an adjustment to the DSC, then all the staff would know that. What an uncomfortable position for the person adjusting the DSC and for the staff.

I agree to a degree, but if they include it, they have to pay commission to Travel Agents on that part as well as the fare. I can see why they do not.

Nita

And you'll also have to pay sales taxes on the $12 a day per person service charge, which would be around another $1 per day per person more...

But there is another alternative, pre-pay your daily service charge... Easy as pie...

I ask again, why rock the boat? NCL and the other cruise lines have found an easy, effective way to pay the charge...

I can't believe anyone would prefer searching the ship for hours to pay them with stuffed envelopes. In the age of electronic transactions, doing your own delivery snail mail service is obsolete. Praise the cruise lines for eliminating the old method and joining the 21st century...

nope, it is not and I hope you do realize when you had them taken off, the person who recieved the tips you gave still had to share them with the pool?

Oh, I shouldn't say "no you can't" you can, but you have to have a good reason and if it has to do with service, you will have to indicate, you tried to aliviate the problems but were not successful.

Nita

Actually Nita on Carnival (which the OP said was their past cruises) does not pool the tips.

i am not sure the poster is correct on this--where did you get that information??? you have only been on NCL once in four years???

Bg

I am on this board nearly every day and I what I said has been well documented and discussed on here over and over as tipping threads are nearly a weekly occurance on here.

IF you were on this board more than occassionaly you would know both of these things. It appears that you spend most of your time on the Roll Call boards.

Don, Nita, Johnql, Planer's Edge, GaryCarla, myself, amongst others, are regulars over here. These type of threads cycle through often and usually with the same questions, answers and discussions. (how many times have we had to explain why adding the DSC to the cruise fare is not a good idea for example) Not complaining about that because new people find their way here every day and the main purpose of these boards is to share information.

I agree to a degree, but if they include it, they have to pay commission to Travel Agents on that part as well as the fare. I can see why they do not.

They could probably separate it like they do with the port charges & taxes. If it's indeed used to pay part of the salaries to some of the crew members then it shouldn't be removable at all.

I see it as a way for the cruise lines (not just NCL) to make the fare look lower than it actually is. Most 1st time cruisers don't budget for the service charge or tips (or whatever they're calling it today) because they don't realize that it's "almost" a mandatory thing. I think it should just be included in the fare upfront if it's paying for salaries.

But there is another alternative, pre-pay your daily service charge... Easy as pie...

I always do :)

Most 1st time cruisers don't budget for the service charge or tips (or whatever they're calling it today) because they don't realize that it's "almost" a mandatory thing. I think it should just be included in the fare upfront if it's paying for salaries.

So...you're saying people book a cruise and don't expect to tip the crew that cleans their room and serves their meals? Are you serious? Do these people go into a restaurant not expecting to tip the servers?

Sorry, but I don't buy your logic for a minute. The only way someone should be surprised by a service charge is if they were otherwise planning to stiff the crew.

The only reaction one should have to the service charge is gratitude that they aren't expected to run around with dollar bills all day long to express appreciation to their servers at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and to their room steward who cleans their room every day. Anyone "surprised" by it simply has no clue about the ways of travel, dining out, and so on.

Cruise lines no more use a service charge to make their fare look lower than a restaurant does by printing menus without including the cost of a usual tip. Your argument is bogus, and I'm tired of hearing people whine over it on this board. Anyone not expecting to tip on a cruise is either cheap or a knucklehead.

Anyone not expecting to tip on a cruise is either cheap or a knucklehead.

Or they come from a country where tipping isn't necessarily part of their culture, i.e., parts of Europe, and Australia, among others. If they've never cruised before and aren't used to tipping, I can understand their asking questions.

--Michael

Or they come from a country where tipping isn't necessarily part of their culture, i.e., parts of Europe, and Australia, among others. --Michael

All tourists are expected to study what are the local customs and culture, that's why tourists have really bad reputations globally. It doesn't matter what your customs are, you're expected to follow the local customs in the countries you're visiting. Like buying your table a round of drinks in Australia, not kissing in public in India, not criticizing Castro in public in Cuba, nor drinking alcohol in public in Arabia.

Why is it so impossible for many to accept that on NCL and many other brands' cruise ships you're expected to pay a service charge?

Why is it so impossible for many to accept that on NCL and many other brands' cruise ships you're expected to pay a service charge?

I don't have an issue with paying the service charge. I just think it should be included in the price of the cruise. That's my opinion.

I don't have an issue with paying the service charge. I just think it should be included in the price of the cruise. That's my opinion.

And you're welcome to have it. The reason it isn't is simply tax laws. I prefer paying less overall....

Despite having been told numerous times why this would make absolutely no sense. Not surprising, however.

Just curious as to 'why'?

So let's imagine this:

- the $799 fare + tax + commission + $84 service charge is now 1 single $883 fare + tax + commission, wihch needs to be prepaid before the cruise instead of afterwards, and has cost you an extra $17 in taxes & commissions.

Now.....should you tip, or not?

Part of the reason it is separate is to discretely let people know that tipping is taken care of, in the DSC.

This is no different than a fine resort. We had a meeting at this place http://www.lacosta.com/ (Britney Spears was pregnant & hanging out by the pool)... so whenever that was.... and they charged a $22 daily 'resort charge', mandatory.

Just curious as to 'why'?

So let's imagine this:

- the $799 fare + tax + commission + $84 service charge is now 1 single $883 fare + tax + commission, wihch needs to be prepaid before the cruise instead of afterwards, and has cost you an extra $17 in taxes & commissions.

Now.....should you tip, or not?

How about $799 fare + tax + commission + tips. Then they can advertise that gratuties are included in the cost of the cruise with a blurb that any additional gratuties are optional.

It really isn't a big deal for me but it seems like a marketing tactic to make the cruise fare appear lower than it actually is.

..... Anyone not expecting to tip on a cruise is either cheap or a knucklehead.

Hi

As a proud member of the "cheap or a knucklehead" society, or in other words, a not acostumed to tip persons for a job they are paid to do, or in other words, someone who has a different culture then yours, or manners (if you have some), I will allow myself to explain my view.

When I budget my family of 6 holidays, I try to look at the bottom line and add a few percentage for "unexpected".

Our tipping bill in a cruise of 7 nights, is 500 dollars. Its not a sum to disregard. It was definitely not a sum we calculated, because tipping someone $500 is not something I do on an everyday basis.

I dont get a tip in my job for a task well done. I get a monthly salary.

If I tipp someone, is because he did more than what was required by his job description. A waiter is supposed to bring me the food. A room maid is supposed to clean my room. If they just do that, fine by me. They get paid for it.

But if a waiter, does more than he was just paid for, I will tip him according to my judgement, with no limits.

The conception of tipping ahead, stand in contradiction to the tipping concept and its simply a way of the cruise lines to pay the wages of the employees.

Personally, I have no problem with that, because at the end of the day, it all adds up to the amount I am paying for my holiday.

The thing that bothers me, is that this cost is a hidden cost and does not form part of the formula.

That's it, I hope I was understood.

And if you choose to reply without coursing or offending, I promise I will tipp you generously

How about $799 fare + tax + commission + tips. Then they can advertise that gratuties are included in the cost of the cruise with a blurb that any additional gratuties are optional.

It really isn't a big deal for me but it seems like a marketing tactic to make the cruise fare appear lower than it actually is.

You say Potatoe I day Potato, Tomatoe, Tomato..

What difference does it make? It's the choice of the cruiseline to handle it as they chose. Either way you will "know" that you have to pay gratuities.

You may prefer this way, but you don't own the cruiseline. If you ever did own one then you can handle it your way. This is making a big to do about nothing!

The cruiselines are not sneaking on the gratuities at the end of the cruise and saying" By the way..you have to pay this extra charge." They are letting you know, up front, that there is a $12.00 per day, per person charge. I just dont get what the big deal is. Lets call the whole thing off!!:D

Hi

As a proud member of the "cheap or a knucklehead" society, or in other words, a not acostumed to tip persons for a job they are paid to do, or in other words, someone who has a different culture then yours, or manners (if you have some), I will allow myself to explain my view.

When I budget my family of 6 holidays, I try to look at the bottom line and add a few percentage for "unexpected".

Our tipping bill in a cruise of 7 nights, is 500 dollars. Its not a sum to disregard. It was definitely not a sum we calculated, because tipping someone $500 is not something I do on an everyday basis.

If I tipp someone, is because he did more than what was required by his job description. A waiter is supposed to bring me the food. A room maid is supposed to clean my room. If they just do that, fine by me. They get paid for it.

But if a waiter, does more than he was just paid for, I will tip him according to my judgement, with no limits.

The conception of tipping ahead, stand in contradiction to the tipping concept and its simply a way of the cruise lines to pay the wages of the employees.

Personally, I have no problem with that, because at the end of the day, it all adds up to the amount I am paying for my holiday.

The thing that bothers me, is that this cost is a hidden cost and does not form part of the formula.

And if you choose to reply without coursing or offending, I promise I will tipp you generously

Are you from Austrailia? (not a cut, just a simple question). From what I understand, the culture of Austrailia is that tipping is not done.

If you are from a society that does not practice tipping then I can see why many people have a hard time understanding the "American" system of tipping. (again, not a cut but an observation.)

In the American system, most service employees (especially waiters/waitresses) are paid just over half the minimum hourly wage. It is up to them to make up the other half in tips based on how good a service that they perform.

This practice of paying less than minimum wage (allowed under US laws for certain positions that get tips) is supposed to serve two purposes: 1.) encourage workers to work harder and provide good service in order to get the tips and 2.) help keep the costs of the meals down. Without tipping, dining out in even the cheapest restaurants like Denny's would be 50% higher or more!

Yes, it is deceiving...you are really paying more for your meal than the price on the menu but the extra cost is "hidden" as a tip. It is just the way Americans are raised.

Since the vast majority of cruisers on most of the mainstream lines are Americans, that is how the cruise ships operate. The employees on board receive a wage below what they deserve and the rest is made up from the gratuity pool.

Granted cruise lines could drop the DSC, raise fares and pay all crew the proper hourly rate BUT... then some people would go ahead and continue to tip at that old rate and the cycle would just repeat.

It is the American way of doing it and, right or wrong, it is not going to change. The DSC added to your bill is a much easier way of doing it than having to run around with envelopes and making sure you have the cash for the tips. The DSC also ensures that those who provide services that you don't see (those who clean public areas or the dish washers or the cooks), get properly taken care of as well.

Hi

I don't see how anyone (especially if they are budget conscious) can book a cruise and expect that after they make a "final" payment that there will be no more cost involved :confused: If these cost are a surprise to you, then shame on you!(not you in particular,but people in general, not to offend) They don't hide it!

Between the DSC, excursions, dinning and ent, my OBA is already over $700 for a 7 day cruise with 3 people, and I won't step on the ship for another month! But I won't be surprised when I get my invoice! (unless my wife decides she wants some jewelry and pictures) just takes a little do diligence pre booking!!!!

I can see some tax departments still trying to add sales tax to the tips because they are being collected at the point of sale. We are talking about the IRS and the states tax departments here... they will do whatever they can to get every last cent.

As long as you don't add the tips/DSC to the overall cost of the trip, you can avoid the tax man. That is why people can buy OBC in advance to pay those things and not have to be subject to taxes... it is something not charged until you board.

It is no different than what the airlines are doing... the airfare may appear very nice, but then you add "airport charges," "baggage fees" and "food" and that nice price of airfare is greatly higher.

It may not be right, but it is the way things are in the business world right now.

Archived