Norwegian Gratuities

AuTiger7

Does Norwegian charge your account a certain amount per person per day gratuities? We will be on the Spirit in March. I know Carnival charges $10 per person per day.

NCL charges $12 per person per day (incl children) but if you contact your TA or PCC you can arrange to pre-pay this, it is not a problem.

From the NCL website (FAQs):

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Does Norwegian charge your account a certain amount per person per day gratuities? We will be on the Spirit in March. I know Carnival charges $10 per person per day.

yes, $12 a day. Carnival is the lowest of all the mass marketed lines. HAL is $11 and Princess is $10.50 or maybe $11.00.

Nita

Is it also 12/day for 3rd passanger (3yo) in a room?

Sinse its a 13 day cruise will they bill cc 2x or just once at end of cruise?

Sinse I plan to tip staff at Kids Camp should I do this at the end of the first week and then again at end of cruise or just once at end of cruise?

TIA for any responses

Is it also 12/day for 3rd passanger (3yo) in a room?

Sinse its a 13 day cruise will they bill cc 2x or just once at end of cruise?

Sinse I plan to tip staff at Kids Camp should I do this at the end of the first week and then again at end of cruise or just once at end of cruise?

TIA for any responses

Yes, $12 pp/pd for all passengers 3 yr old+.

The DSC is charged to your onboard account on a daily basis and payable in full at the end of the cruise.

Personally, I would tip the Kids Camp staff at the end of the cruise.

Yes, a 3rd person the cabin, whether a child (I think it's 2 and up) or adult, is billed the $12 per person per day. (It's not $12 per CABIN, but $12 PER PERSON.)

Usually you'd tip the kids camp at the end of the cruise, and based on how often you used it. Sometimes parents find that their kiddo really doesn't like it there, and won't stay...or the opposite, LOVES it and doesn't want to leave. So you'd tip accordingly. :)

NCL charges $12 per person per day (incl children) but if you contact your TA or PCC you can arrange to pre-pay this, it is not a problem.

Does anyone know if when you pre-pay they still print 12.00 per person, per day on your statement?

I have no complaints about paying but have never enjoyed reviewing my statement with those being individually listed.

Does anyone know if when you pre-pay they still print 12.00 per person, per day on your statement?

I have no complaints about paying but have never enjoyed reviewing my statement with those being individually listed.

If you prepay, the charges do not appear on your statement.

• 6 months later...
Can you choose to give this to crew on the last night, I mean Cabin crew???:)

The DSC covers more than the cabin crew and is always charged to your onboard account. You are always at liberty to give your steward more if you feel it was earned (but a S.T.Y.L.E. card is also appreciated).

If you prepay, the charges do not appear on your statement.

I'll have to check my last invoice, I thought I saw it itemized on there with a corresponding credit but it wouldn't be the first time I saw things that weren't there;).

Yes they do! It's $12. p/p per day! If you choose, you can always arrange for prepaid gratituties. We've done this for our 8/29 Dawn cruise to Bermuda! Just a little less on the seapass card for the week, to allow for extras to be charged.

Enjoy however you choose to do the tipping!

On past Carnival cruises, we have had the Gratuities taken off of our bill completely and just tipped in cash. Is this an option on NCL?

It will be impossible for you to tip all those who share in the service charge. You will likely have a different wait staff every day, and behind the scenes crew you will never see and can't possibly be tipped in cash who support the dining room staff and room stewards also share in the service charge pool. If you have the service charge removed you'll be cheating hard working crew out of their well deserved compensation.

Most lines have gone to the set charges. HAL was the first, followed by NCL, Disney, Princess and yes, Carnival. The price is $12 per day per person (over 2)

Nita

On past Carnival cruises, we have had the Gratuities taken off of our bill completely and just tipped in cash. Is this an option on NCL?

nope, it is not and I hope you do realize when you had them taken off, the person who recieved the tips you gave still had to share them with the pool?

Oh, I shouldn't say "no you can't" you can, but you have to have a good reason and if it has to do with service, you will have to indicate, you tried to aliviate the problems but were not successful.

Nita

I am amazed that this question comes up. Every guest confirmation I get when booking or modifying a cruise says:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

For general questions please contact a Personal Cruise Consultant at 1-877-416-9722.

Documentation:

As visa and documentation requirements vary by country and are subject to change, all guests are urged to contact their travel professional,

local immigration office, or the embassy or consulate for each country they will visit on their cruise to verify current entry requirements. It is the

guest's responsibility to obtain required visas and other documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases.

Additional information for booked guests is available on http://www.ncl.com.

Online Check-In:

Guests are requested to complete their Online Check-In form at http://www.ncl.com at least 24 hours prior to departure date. Guests who have

not completed their online Check-In form at least 24 hours prior to departure date are required to complete the Check-In process at the pier

2 hours prior to departure time noted on their cruise documents.

Final Boarding Time Policy:

Please be advised that on embarkation day, all guests must be onboard the ship no later than one (1) hour prior to the departure time noted

on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail. Additional information for booked guests is available on http://www.ncl.com.

Terms & Conditions:

Please refer to the applicable NCL brochure or http://www.ncl.com for additional terms and conditions that apply to your booking.

Booksafe Travel Protection:

Please refer to the applicable NCL brochure or http://www.ncl.com for our Payment and Cancellation policy. NCL highly recommends that every

guest purchase Travel Protection to include trip cancellation coverage.

Service Charges:

NCL now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests 3 years and older. Please

contact your travel professional to add to your reservation. See our brochure or http://www.ncl.com for details.

Shore Excursions:

Guests are encouraged to book their Shore Excursions through NCL for the widest selection of tours along with some important added

benefits – safe and reliable tour operators, easy pick-up and drop-off at the pier, and the ability to conveniently charge your onboard account.

For complete tour descriptions and to pre-book, please visit http://www.ncl.com/shorex or call 866.625.1167, Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm or

Saturday and Sunday 10am - 6pm EST."

Al

nope, it is not and I hope you do realize when you had them taken off, the person who recieved the tips you gave still had to share them with the pool?

Oh, I shouldn't say "no you can't" you can, but you have to have a good reason and if it has to do with service, you will have to indicate, you tried to aliviate the problems but were not successful.

Nita

Should also mention that if you do choose to have your daily service charges removed, then your cabin number is noted and they carefully check with your room stewards and anything you give them MUST be turned into the overall ships tip pool. (same is true of waiters that you tip individually.)

The best way to tip your room stewards extra is to leave the DSC on your bill and just give the stewards a little extra in cash. If you leave the DSC on, then they get to keep what you give them.

Should also be noted on this thread that Bar and Spa bills have an automatic 15% service charge added to each. That pays for the tips to the waiters, bartenders and spa personel. (and that cannot be removed.)

Why rock the boat? NCL has made it easier for everyone charging the daily surcharge to your sea card account every day automatically. There is no need to buy envelopes, carry extra cash, and chase crew members throughout the ship. Its being taken care of efficiently without even taking the effort to walk a step.

While some like to tip personally, there is NOT much personal contact with a ship of 3,000-4,000 passengers. A cruise ship is not your local restaurant where you develop personal relationships over years...

Should also mention that if you do choose to have your daily service charges removed, then your cabin number is noted and they carefully check with your room stewards and anything you give them MUST be turned into the overall ships tip pool. (same is true of waiters that you tip individually.)

The best way to tip your room stewards extra is to leave the DSC on your bill and just give the stewards a little extra in cash. If you leave the DSC on, then they get to keep what you give them.

Should also be noted on this thread that Bar and Spa bills have an automatic 15% service charge added to each. That pays for the tips to the waiters, bartenders and spa personel. (and that cannot be removed.)

Thanks and so true. I don't know why this has to come up every month or more. I know sometimes the poster doesn't realize they are opening a can of worms. I think many times they play dumb and do know.

NIta

i am not sure the poster is correct on this--where did you get that information??? you have only been on NCL once in four years???

Bg

i am not sure the poster is correct on this--where did you get that information??? you have only been on NCL once in four years???

Bg

The poster is... If you remove the daily surcharge those you tip see less than a penny of any dollar tip you give them...

Imagine expecting to see a dollar tip and getting a penny...

The room stewards are given lists of those who removed the surcharge. The waiters know when they slide your card...

Its best to leave the daily surcharge effective and tip above that. They can then keep the full extra tip...

Archived