Self-serv Kiosk for Checking Cabin Charges

Av8tor

Just got off the Sapphire and noticed something new at the Purser's desk. It might have been there before, but I don't recall seeing it...

Not only do they have a new line for Elites, they also have a self-serve kiosk that will "instantly" print out your current charges with just a swipe of your cruise card. It ties right in to the main computer so even if a charge was made a minute or two earlier (say just upstairs at Crooners), it will show up (speaking from actual experience ;)).

One thing to remember though, to get the entire total you'll need to swipe all the cruise cards on the account individually and get a printout for each card. When I swiped my card, the screen gave me an option to print either my account or my wife's. Mine worked OK, but whenever I tried to get my wife's account, it just wouldn't work. Worked fine if we used her card to get her charges.

No more waiting in long, slow lines just to get an account balance.

Just got off the Sapphire and noticed something new at the Purser's desk. It might have been there before, but I don't recall seeing it...

Not only do they have a new line for Elites, they also have a self-serve kiosk that will "instantly" print out your current charges with just a swipe of your cruise card. It ties right in to the main computer so even if a charge was made a minute or two earlier (say just upstairs at Crooners), it will show up (speaking from actual experience ;)).

One thing to remember though, to get the entire total you'll need to swipe all the cruise cards on the account individually and get a printout for each card. When I swiped my card, the screen gave me an option to print either my account or my wife's. Mine worked OK, but whenever I tried to get my wife's account, it just wouldn't work. Worked fine if we used her card to get her charges. No more waiting in long, slow lines just to get an account balance.

She had you blocked:eek::D

One thing to remember though, to get the entire total you'll need to swipe all the cruise cards on the account individually and get a printout for each card. When I swiped my card, the screen gave me an option to print either my account or my wife's. Mine worked OK, but whenever I tried to get my wife's account, it just wouldn't work. Worked fine if we used her card to get her charges.

No more waiting in long, slow lines just to get an account balance.

Yes this was posted a few weeks ago from someone who was on the Sapphire also.

One nice thing about our cruise on Celebrity last year is that the in room TV system had the ability to check your charges on the screen. Along with the ability to book shore excursions and resturant reservations. It was a very slick system and I would not be surprised to see it on all the new ships. Not sure the wiring on older ships would allow for it.

Mike

One nice thing about our cruise on Celebrity last year is that the in room TV system had the ability to check your charges on the screen. Along with the ability to book shore excursions and resturant reservations. It was a very slick system and I would not be surprised to see it on all the new ships. Not sure the wiring on older ships would allow for it.

They had it on Century (when I sailed two years ago), which is a 15-year-old ship. I sure wish Princess had a similar system.

Caro

Mike

Just about every line (except Princess):rolleyes: has this system in the cabin for years and years.

But Princess has the best Loyalty program, so no big deal just asking for a printout.
It can be a big deal though sometimes.....if it wasn't people would not be posting that it's such great news and no more waiting in line which, imo, can cause an inconvenience at times.

It can be a big deal though sometimes.....if it wasn't people would not be posting that it's such great news and no more waiting in line which, imo, can cause an inconvenience at times.

I've never found it inconvenient, and now I even get a special line. ;)

Just about every line (except Princess):rolleyes: has this system in the cabin for years and years.

In todays age of IT, there is no reason that Princess should not have this capability. It would save the Princess Guest Staff a lot of time and explanation. This is one area that Princess needs to improve now.

Totally agree with you.

I am a loyal RCL and Princess fan so let's not turn this into a bashing contest.

But Princess needs to automate several things .. onscreen account updates, there archaic photo process, etc .. think they need to hire somebody new to handle their computer systems.

Getting your printout is not the problem, unless you're waiting until the last minute/day. Getting mispostings resolved is the problem. Although seldom, they seem to take days to resolve. The few problems that we have had have always been resolved to our satisfaction, even tho somewhat slow. Whether or not your charges are listed on your room TV or you have to ask for them at the pursers desk, or you get them at a kisok; you still need to resolve any errors you find, and that is where the delay/problem really is. If receipts were still given on all transactions, without asking, reconciling your print-outs (if you check them early) when presenting/arguing your problem with the pursers desk would be easier. Even if your charges are listed on your room TV, it is only if you're active in checking your charges that resolving any problems will be easier. It's up to you to be in charge (no pun intented) of your on-board charges.

See you on the water,

Rex

Getting your printout is not the problem, unless you're waiting until the last minute/day. Getting mispostings resolved is the problem. Although seldom, they seem to take days to resolve. The few problems that we have had have always been resolved to our satisfaction, even tho somewhat slow. Whether or not your charges are listed on your room TV or you have to ask for them at the pursers desk, or you get them at a kisok; you still need to resolve any errors you find, and that is where the delay/problem really is. If receipts were still given on all transactions, without asking, reconciling your print-outs (if you check them early) when presenting/arguing your problem with the pursers desk would be easier. Even if your charges are listed on your room TV, it is only if you're active in checking your charges that resolving any problems will be easier. It's up to you to be in charge (no pun intented) of your on-board charges.

See you on the water,

Rex

I agree and think Princess have come up with a neat solution. Hopefully they will one day invest in upgrading their archaic passenger service computer systems but that is an enormous and expensive undertaking which will not happen overnight I doubt will happen in this economic climate.

I am a loyal RCL and Princess fan so let's not turn this into a bashing contest.

But Princess needs to automate several things .. onscreen account updates, there archaic photo process, etc .. think they need to hire somebody new to handle their computer systems.

Totally agree!! Princess is owned by Carnival. Carnival owns HAL, Costa, Princess, Cunard, Carnival, Seaborn, P & O, Ocean Village.

RCI owns only RCCL and Celebrity.

I don't believe it is a loyalty issue. It is just plain 'service.'

I agree and think Princess have come up with a neat solution. Hopefully they will one day invest in upgrading their archaic passenger service computer systems but that is an enormous and expensive undertaking which will not happen overnight I doubt will happen in this economic climate.

I'd agree with this... their system works and it'd be very expensive to upgrade those systems on all their ships.

It's interesting to note that Cunard and HAL now both use Princess' reservation system. So they must be doing something right... :p Of course the onboard systems are entirely different...

Archived