Cruise to Panama Canal

Murphy&Bailey

In 2011 we are planning to cruise to the Panama Canal for our 20th Anniversary. Should we take the Island Princess or the Coral Princess. Our dates are pretty flexible so we can go on either ship. Would love to hear what everyone thinks about each ship.

I seem to remember hearing/reading that the Island Princess has seen better days....maybe someone here can confirm this

In which case I would choose the Coral Princess

I was on the Island in December for a partial transit of the canal. I saw nothing wrong with the Island.

We sailed the Island Princess in Jan. 2010 doing the FLL-FLL Panama Canal cruise. Saw absolutely nothing wrong with the IP. Anyway, the IP is scheduled for a 2 week drydock/retrofit in late Sept-early Oct. in Vancouver, BC.

All the things that have a couple years wear on them will be brought up to spanking new condition.

Was a beautiful ship for our sailing. Had a great time.

I seem to remember hearing/reading that the Island Princess has seen better days....maybe someone here can confirm this

In which case I would choose the Coral Princess

Ha... the Coral Princess is older than the Island Princess by 6 months or so... :p

In 2011 we are planning to cruise to the Panama Canal for our 20th Anniversary. Should we take the Island Princess or the Coral Princess. Our dates are pretty flexible so we can go on either ship. Would love to hear what everyone thinks about each ship.

Since the Island & Coral are sister ships they are probably very similiar.

We did the Coral at Xmas and the Island we will on the Island to Alaska

in May . Will have a better answer in June.

Yes - the ships are pretty much the same so for me it would probably come down to being able to book one of the bump out cabins (our favorite) or if we could get a good deal. Also a good price on airfare but since you live in Florida I am guessing that is not an issue.

Ha... the Coral Princess is older than the Island Princess by 6 months or so... :p

We are on the Island in April. Primary reason for us is that it is a 10 day round trip. Would have liked the full transit, but time did not allow. From what I have been reading on these boards, the Island Princess is due to go into dry dock later this year for some upgrading (MUTS, international cafe???)

We sailed on the Island full Transit at New Years. FLL ACA

The only thing I think that needed to be fixed on the ship was the Lido deck furniture. there wasnt enough and some of the little tables were broken other than that all was great.

It's the other way round; that is the Coral is the newer ship by at least a year. Having said that they are both very nice vessels. I personally favour the Coral and will be sailing on her for a full transit in April. However, as another poster stated, take the sailing and cabin availability etc. that is most suitable to you.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah...but they are not identical right now. They will be again soon. The Coral was in dry dock in October and received a MUTS screen and Sanctuary. The Island is scheduled to received these two features when she goes into dry dock this fall sometime I believe?

Full transit of the Panama Canal is a wonderful trip - makes one proud of American ingenuity and perserverance.

I still think Jimmy Carter was wrong to give it back - we stole it fair and square!

lol, that is funny.

If you haven't already booked your stateroom and are going for a balcony, one of our CC members has a website with some photos of the Coral and Island that will help you see how the balconies are configured. Some have no overhang and some have no privacy. That sort of info is not available from Princess.com.

I found it quite by chance and it saved us from making a big mistake on selecting a balcony stateroom.:)

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

I sent the guy an email of thanks.

Archived