custom cake?

Mollypuss

Is it possible to order a custom cake, not just the generic birthday cake for the MDR? Our daughter will be turning 6 while on the cruise and we really want to make it special for her. Disney has a really neat cake 'hot line' you can call and order amazing cakes. I've seen where people have spent over $100 for a themed cake. They are quite a work of art and was just curious if RCCL had the same service? I've never seen one while on board, but the pastry chefs sure have the ability.

My son's birthday is during our upcoming cruise, and I called to ask about this. They said that they just don't have time to do any kind of custom cakes, but that if you order the blank cake you can bring along decorator icing to give to the head waiter along with what you'd like written on the cake. (I'm also bringing a couple of candles.) They said that you need to give the items and the directions to the head waiter no later than noon, two days before hand. (If I'm remembering that part correctly.)

You might want to call the gear & gifts department and verify all that, because I've learned I get different answers when I call RCCL!

Hope this helps...

Is it possible to order a custom cake, not just the generic birthday cake for the MDR? Our daughter will be turning 6 while on the cruise and we really want to make it special for her. Disney has a really neat cake 'hot line' you can call and order amazing cakes. I've seen where people have spent over $100 for a themed cake. They are quite a work of art and was just curious if RCCL had the same service? I've never seen one while on board, but the pastry chefs sure have the ability.

From the RCCL website

Q: Are Special Occasion Cakes available?

A: We offer Birthday, Anniversary and Special Occasion Cakes fleet-wide for a nominal fee.

There are two types of cakes available: chocolate sponge cake with chocolate butter cream or vanilla sponge cake with vanilla butter cream, both are decorated with flowers on the left side of the cake. These cakes are 6" round and serve 2-10people. The name (or names) will be written on the cake with a candle placed on top. A minimum of 6 hours advance notice is required. All cakes that are ordered by 12 noon will be served that evening in the main dining room.

The cake will be charged to your Seapass card or credit card upon request at time of ordering the cake onboard the ship.

If you don't want to purchase a whole cake, just tell your Main Dining Room waiter about the special occasion and who it's for. Our waiters will sing a birthday / anniversary song - with a slice of cake (based on the daily cake offerings for that evening) and a candle prior to serving you the dinner dessert, free of charge.

Here is a picture of the cakes from RCCL. It also can be made with all chocolate, as I saw someone at the next table get one.

The second picture is from the Gifts and Gear Cards. The cake is the top right. They also decorate cabins at Gifts and Gear.

Click on them to enlarge them. ;)

BDay-cake_vanilla.jpg.ed292ed6c4e514b00e7d4537a6f7a862.jpg

img096.jpg.8453051d153f9be7270412cf03cb1cc7.jpg

My son's birthday is during our upcoming cruise, and I called to ask about this. They said that they just don't have time to do any kind of custom cakes, but that if you order the blank cake you can bring along decorator icing to give to the head waiter along with what you'd like written on the cake. (I'm also bringing a couple of candles.) They said that you need to give the items and the directions to the head waiter no later than noon, two days before hand. (If I'm remembering that part correctly.)

You might want to call the gear & gifts department and verify all that, because I've learned I get different answers when I call RCCL!

Hope this helps...

Just wanted to let you know that they wrote a birthday message on my DDs cake (she turned 10 on our Freedom cruise). Also, they provided candles. :) Hope this helps.

We've had RCI's "generic" cake, and it's delicious! There's no real need to do more than that! This cake was so moist, and the icing was like a "7 Mountain" frosting...creamy, yet light...almost like a marshmallow cream, but not sticky or too sweet...just perfect!

This is seriously starting to tick me off. I just called AGAIN, and this time was told that the cakes are generic, there is NO time for anyone to do any sort of personalizing, even and especially if I brought along my own icing. WTH? She said that the cakes just have "Happy Birthday" on them, which makes less sense -- if they have no time for such things, how do they have time to make this cake a birthday cake, and that cake an anniversary cake, and whatnot. Yet other passengers obviously have had different experiences. WHY can't I get a definitive - and consistent - answer out of RCCL??

I just don't want some boring blank cake set in front of my son on his birthday!

This is seriously starting to tick me off. I just called AGAIN, and this time was told that the cakes are generic, there is NO time for anyone to do any sort of personalizing, even and especially if I brought along my own icing. WTH? She said that the cakes just have "Happy Birthday" on them, which makes less sense -- if they have no time for such things, how do they have time to make this cake a birthday cake, and that cake an anniversary cake, and whatnot. Yet other passengers obviously have had different experiences. WHY can't I get a definitive - and consistent - answer out of RCCL??

I just don't want some boring blank cake set in front of my son on his birthday!

Although this too is not a difinitive answer, I'd just suggest you talk to the Head Waiter and he/she will make sure you're cake is personalized in the dining room (just tell them a day or two ahead if possible).

And as a back up, of course bring icing, but I doubt they'll need it.

Although this too is not a difinitive answer, I'd just suggest you talk to the Head Waiter and he/she will make sure you're cake is personalized in the dining room (just tell them a day or two ahead if possible).

And as a back up, of course bring icing, but I doubt they'll need it.

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to do that. It's irritating, though, that there isn't a set answer for something that simple, you know?

Sorry you are getting the runaround from RCCL. Here is my experience. We sailed in Dec on Explorer of Seas and celebrated a birthday on board. I ordered the cake at guest relations on board a few days prior to the actual birthday. It was custom with flavour (a couple of choices) icing (again a couple of choices) and saying (Happy Birthday) and Name. The evening of the birthday I told our waiter which person it was for and at the appropriate time he and a few staff came over presented the cake and sang happy birthday.

I would go directly through the ship and forget about going through the cruise line.

I too was hoping for a "Custom" cake not just one of the ones you can order from gifts and gears. We are cruising with my mother in April, she will celebrate her 80th on the ship. I really want something special. I was wondering about having a cake delivered, has anyone done that?

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to do that. It's irritating, though, that there isn't a set answer for something that simple, you know?

You would think it would be simple, but I'm guessing that offering custom option on a ships that hold thousands of people isn't all that "simple" in the scheme of things. :o As you've been advised, I'd just order it through gifts and gear, then talk to your head waiter the first day of the cruise. Good luck! :)

At risk of being booed off the stage-

Your daughter will be 6. If they bring any cake to the table and sing "Happy Birthday", she will be tickled pink.

In a few years, she might even remember it. In 20 years, she probably won't-

even if she remembers the cruise.

I don't think this deserves a boo. In fact, I was thinking the same thing. Kids love the fun stuff and spending time with loved ones. I think, more often than not, that it's the adults that put so much pressure on ourselves to "perform" for our children. I'm guilty of that! :p We all forget that the important things in life aren't material things, but sometimes it's nice to "have our cake and eat it too." :D

Archived