Celebration info needed march 2005

kathy2323

Welcome to cruising! I hope you and your son love it---our family sure does. My son was 9 on our 1st cruise, and 10 on our next 2 cruises. And he always wants to know when we're going on our next one. He LOVES cruises. :)

One little hint for you----1st of all you'll want to call it a "ship" (because of the size) and not a boat. :) Boats are smaller, and in fact the ship has many boats on it (life boats that is).

2nd: I don't think you'll have a chance to roll out of the bed, even if you were clear down at one end of the ship. But the middle of the ship usually is where you'll feel the movement the least. Also the lower decks on the ship seem to feel the least amount of movement. So, with you being on the Riviera deck and midship, you've got that covered! No worries! But I would love to hear if anyone here on the board has ever heard of a person rolling out of bed because of the ships' movement----that would really be something for that to happen!!! :p We stayed in 2 interior rooms when we were on the Celebration---they were fine although pretty dark, so bring a nightlight to help out. I know, your son probably says he is "too old" for a nightlight, but it sure is handy for finding your way to the bathroom at night or in the morning when you get up, since there is almost NO light in there without turning them on. Just tell him the nightlight is for you!

3rd: Sorry to break the news to your 12 yr old, but no play station in the rooms. There is, however, a small video arcade at the back of the GalaxZ disco that you can play until you can no longer afford it! (Takes tokens that you can buy with your sail-N-sign card) I believe there is a small amount of time in the kids clubs when they have access to video games such as nintendo or PS2, but it wasn't very often, if memory serves. It certainly didn't happen enough for my sons liking, hence the purchase of tokens from the video arcade a few times during the cruise! Hope this helps! Any more questions, ask away.

It sounds like alot of people who cruise are - how do you say? - more financially blessed than us. I was just wondering if us Carolina "rednecks" will have a good time. I mean we have all our own teeth and don't drink out of jugs or anything but this will be a big expense for us and I just wondered what kind of people are on these cruises.

Kathy,

If you're a redneck I don't know HOW to classify myself/family!! We're from Eastern Kentucky (Appalachian area) so . . . we've probably got you beat!!! :D

I've just upgraded to a suite in celebration of 3 STRENOUS years of working full-time (state social worker) . . . full-time Master's program participation while juggling :D my 13 yr old DD's active schedule while my DH has been working in Wisconsin!!!!! So . . . this cruise is a MUCH NEEDED relaxing, enjoyable family excursion . . . I just hope my born and bred eastern Kentucky DH won't feel too out of place!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Thanks for your help. My son has decided to pack batteries and his game boy, I'm hoping he can make some friends to run around with on the "ship"... I've never seen anything bigger then a barge, I live near the Ohio River. I can't imagine the size of this ship.

thanks again for your help

That remark about having all your teeth....I busted out laughing. I am a NC redneck also. This will be my 4th cruise and I am a very proud wal-mart worker. I can rub elbows with the best and slum with the rest. Don't worry..you will have a great time. I know I will. I will be on the Celebration April 23rd and I can't hardly wait.

"You know it girl", "I'm right with ya"......I'm a school bus driver.....LOL the kids on the bus all think I live in a trailer...and are suprised to see me living in a 150,000.00 brick home....I think its funny. But I'm with you, I can rub elbows with the best and slum with the rest.

Thanks for your help. My son has decided to pack batteries and his game boy, I'm hoping he can make some friends to run around with on the "ship"... I've never seen anything bigger then a barge, I live near the Ohio River. I can't imagine the size of this ship.

thanks again for your help

Great idea----my son did this as well. Brought his gameboy advance and I brought the charger along. He ended up making friends and preferred hanging out at the arcade with them....even when he was out of tokens he still had fun hanging out there with the other boys! I don't think we ended up having to even charge the gameboy once! I bet you son will have a great time and hook up with other boys also. You guys will have a blast. Just an idea---let him order a room service snack for you both sometime. They have nice brownies/cookies and milk you can share as a fun treat in the room. We've done this each cruise and it's a nice memory maker in the evening after we've been out and about. It's free (actually, not free but included in your cruise costs so no extra fees involved) but it is customary to give the delivery person $1-2 for bringing it. If I remember right, you'll find the menu in the Carnival "book" that is in your stateroom. Just look around inside it and you'll find the "somewhat limited" menu. And we were in the same "boat" as you guys until our 1st cruise a year and a half ago----we'd just been on ski-boats on our local lakes here in Nebraska! :D Happy sails to you and your son :)

We took our first cruise on the Celebration this month. The seas were treacherous and the weather was cold - even the staff were getting seasick during the several hours of bad seas on nights 1 and 3. Despite all of this, the crew was incredibly courageous and helpfull. My family of four (two kids - 6 and 8) all had a great time and came back from our cruise eager for our next!

It is pretty hard not to have good time on your first cruise. We discovered that even with a few rocky nights, our cruise experience aboard this older ship sold us! We are ready, willing and able to book our next cruise!!!

Hilltopfamily: So where do you suggest we go from here?!!

We plan on booking a cruise for 2006 and are looking at the Carnival Triumph since it sails out of Charleston (only 3.5 hours from home). But we are open to anything!!!

Should we go for a bigger, newer ship as is our inclination?

Hilltopfamily: So where do you suggest we go from here?!!

We plan on booking a cruise for 2006 and are looking at the Carnival Triumph since it sails out of Charleston (only 3.5 hours from home). But we are open to anything!!!

Should we go for a bigger, newer ship as is our inclination?

Duncanmaria: I just looked at Cruisecritics review of the Triumph and it looks like a great ship to go on! I think with it being so close for embarkation, that might be a great choice for you. We always drive to the port, so that has always been a big thing to us----how close the homeport is to us. If I were you, I'd really look at all the posts/threads I could find about the Triumph, then I'd probably book it in a second if I had the money! That is, if Carnival was a "right fit" for you and your family. I know it really is a great cruiseline for us.

Yes, I do think many of us think about going on the newer, bigger ships if we're looking for more amenities, bigger choices in things to do both for ourselves and our kids/families, and increasingly "grand" experiences. (I'm next booked on a Voyager-class ship!) But I do read here on the board sometimes that "bigger" isn't always "better" if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing cruise with smaller crowds. So, I guess it is all in what you're looking for on your cruise. Our 1st cruise was on our largest ship (Disney Magic) then we went down in size to Carnival's Celebration, then up in size to Carnival's Elation which was not quite (but closer) to the size of our Disney ship. We really, really, really enjoyed all 3 cruises, but our kids did like having more amenities/places to go, and my hubbie & I did enjoy having a grand atrium, and more places to explore on the larger ship as well as an overall "smoother sailing" movement-wise on the bigger ships. I'd still go on any size ship as long as it was a cruiseship. :) And as I said earlier, we've had the best service on the smallest ship we've sailed!

We took our first cruise on the Celebration this month. The seas were treacherous and the weather was cold - even the staff were getting seasick during the several hours of bad seas on nights 1 and 3. Despite all of this, the crew was incredibly courageous and helpfull. My family of four (two kids - 6 and 8) all had a great time and came back from our cruise eager for our next!

It is pretty hard not to have good time on your first cruise. We discovered that even with a few rocky nights, our cruise experience aboard this older ship sold us! We are ready, willing and able to book our next cruise!!!

We did our first cruise on the Celebration and had an absolutely fabulous time. :) For our second cruise, we wanted something bigger and newer. We chose the Triumph (was like a year or so old when we sailed on her). The Triumph is a beautiful ship. It offers so much to do. We loved her. I would sail on her again in a heart beat. From the Triumph we graduated to even bigger ships. Now we're booked on something a little smaller than the Triumph. I don't know if the ship will feel small to us (after our last two cruises), or we will appreciate the smaller passenger size. After all, there's only one way on and off the ship.

Nessi__________________________________

Carnival Celebration 06/00

Carnival Triumph 04/01

Star Princess 04/02

Golden Princess 12/03

Norwegian Spirit 02/18/05 (20 days to go :D)

Are there any 'hidden' places on board that are good to check out? Is there a room to play games? For adults, not Camp Carnival. I'm glad to hear all these good things about Celebration from people that have been on her recently. I was getting a bit worried at having so few reviews to read from Jacksonville.

I'll be on the five night cruise in September. Does anyone know how much the parking is at the terminal? I know it's $10 a day but don't know if you pay for 5 or 6 days since you get back so early on the last day.

Are there any 'hidden' places on board that are good to check out? Is there a room to play games? For adults, not Camp Carnival.

While not really "hidden", we found the ships library to be a nice quiet place that wasn't often populated by many others. We sometimes saw people in there playing cards or board games quietly. If I remember correctly, the ceiling in the library is beautiful---something like a stained-glass effect with 2 ships sailing. You shouldn't miss at least taking a walk-through of this area.

Not sure about hidden locations but the ship does have lots of quiet out of the way places to sit and read or play games. My teens reported they found empty tables and chairs almost everwhere to play games or electronic video games. Since there are several lounges on board that are used mostly at night they are empty during the day and several times we noticed passengers enjoying the peace and quiet.

If my memory is correct we paid $ 40 for the cruise which left on Thursday and came back on Monday. Plenty of parking. Have a photo ID ready when you get to the first check point, which is half way from turn off to terminal. Tell them you want to drop luggage and they will direct you to the terminal and someone to take your luggage ( if it is tagged already) then go to the parking area and pay for the entire trip in advance. Short walk back to waiting area and checkin.

Once you return you can tote, drag or otherwise get your luugae to the curb and then go get your vehicle. Last cruise we took was sold out and that part of coming and going was painless.

You should really enjoy the Celebration.

:) we are traveling on the celebration as a birthday gift for myself, my daughter and best friend...my daughter will be 12 on 3/12...she is looking for other teen girls to hang with...this is our third cruise...we are very excited to visit the altantis...anyone know if you have to pay to visit atlantis

:) we are traveling on the celebration as a birthday gift for myself, my daughter and best friend...my daughter will be 12 on 3/12...she is looking for other teen girls to hang with...this is our third cruise...we are very excited to visit the altantis...anyone know if you have to pay to visit atlantis

Birthday Cruising,

Come on over to the port of call (Bahama) boards . . . you'll find out ALL KINDS of info about nassau and Atlantis!! That's were I learned about Comfort Inn and getting access to Atlantis since we'll be there 16 or 17 hrs!!!!!!!!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like alot of people who cruise are - how do you say? - more financially blessed than us. I was just wondering if us Carolina "rednecks" will have a good time. I mean we have all our own teeth and don't drink out of jugs or anything but this will be a big expense for us and I just wondered what kind of people are on these cruises.

Kathy,

Most would consider me a redneck also. After hearing me speak some would use the term hick. (For the record, between high school and college I did learn to speak properly; however, I see no need at pretending to be something that I'm not). Add to this, the fact that I'm pretty withdrawn (or shy) and don't like people much. I'd rather just be alone some place quiet most of the time. I guess that would make me a hermit/hick/redneck. :)

Anyway, I booked a cruise on the Celebration because my wife and I live close to Jax, and I simply needed to get away from my business for a few days. I was leery of the crowds, the noise, and having to say "am not" instead of "ain't".

Much to my surprise when I stepped onto the ship it somehow changed me. Before we had even left the dock an older couple sat down at our table, and we carried on a conversation like we had always known each other. Something I usually would have never done. By the end of the first day I was laughing with the passengers and the crew. I was enjoying the crowds. And I was saying "ain't" with no qualms whatsoever. Then in the afternoon, if my wife and I wanted a little bit of quietness to the relax, there was never a problem finding someplace alone along one of the rails.

We cruised in October and liked it so much that we were on another cruise in January. From my two experiences I've come to the conclusion that if you go only expecting to get your money's worth, you will most probably end up with a million dollar vacation. However, if you go expecting a million dollar vacation, you probably won't get your money's worth. Does that make any sense?

Archived