What do you think is an appropriate age for leaving children in the room along?

mom22tinks

I agree with this one! Sometimes I get the heeby jeebys walking back by myself.......isn't it weird that there are like 3,000 people on the ship and when you walk back to your room.....there is nobody around in the hallways:cool: It has nothing to do with maturity or trusting your children.....it has everything to do with not trusting others......

why agree with me? maybe, because my thinking makes sense:D just sayin'

• 3 months later...

I have a story from my last cruise that I've been hesitant to mention. It was an incident that has firmed up my decision to not let my 2 DD-11 walk to/from the cabin by themselves or stay in the cabin by themselves (since they may go in the hallway at some point while they're alone) or walk down ANY cabin hallways by themselves. I was on a cruise in March with just my DH. We went into Nassau and walked around and had a couple drinks and bought some t-shirts. When we got back on the ship, we went to play bingo or see the marriage show or something. At some point DH and I went seperate ways and I eventually walked back to the cabin by myself. Our cabin was on the Upper deck and between midship and aft. I came up the bow stairs and walked down the long hallway towards the aft. Midway through I came up on 2 young (college age) men who were in the hallway. Their cabin door was open and they had music playing. One of the guys was following a female room steward and the other was in his underware and as I went to pass by him, he grabbed me and started to 'dirty dance' with me (or try to) and at that moment I realized they were drunk and the other guy was harassing the room steward who was walking real fast to get away from him. I pulled away from the guy and hustled down the hall toward my cabin. The guy said something like 'if you wanna -something or another- my cabin # is U1??'. So, I will never ever be comfortable with my girls walking around the cabin areas alone. What if instead of me(a 36 year old mom), it was someone's 16 year old daughter who walked by those drunk guys? (And BTW- we had the late dinner seating and were ready 30 minutes early that night, so we went to Cigar Bar(I think) to have a drink while we waited and there was a group of girls sitting around playing a kind of truth or dare without the dare. It turned out they were having a bachelorette party cruise and wouldn't you know it- the 2 drunk guys came up and joined them. They were part of the bachelor party that came with the bachelorettes. I wonder if one of those two guys was the actual groom.)

But, we will let our kids sign themselves out of the camp. They will have to come see us right away, so they will know where we are at all times. And if we want to see an adult show or have a couple drinks at a bar- they will be in the camp, not in the cabin. We are also divided into 2 cabins, but I'll be with the girls(twin DD-11) and DH with the boys(DS-13 and friend-13). It is a family vacation and we do want to maximize that family time, but also think that everyone should have their own space/time/fun a bit, as long as it's safe.

I am so glad you related your story - hesitant as you were. I know a lot people feel that children at 12 can babysit and be on their own etc there are times where things are unsafe. As much as I think a vacation is a time to let loose and have fun some go beyond as did those young men. They probably meant no harm and would never do anything you cannot be guaranteed of anything, some people loose all sense of common sense. I hope you reported the incident as the female steward and yourself were at risk, as you said what would have happened if you were a 16 year old girl. Walking down a long deserted hallway alone is creepy at the best of times but I have never had a problem - helps to be old and overweight at times. The girls would probably be safe in public areas but secluded areas are a little iffy.

It pretty much depends on how your children are. I know that my parents left my brother alone in the room for an hour and a half, when he was 10. They were gambling, he was sleeping, and they left a note that if he needed something, our aunt, uncle, and cousins were just across the hall (we had the back rooms, so it was 3 hallway widths). I was hanging out with my new friends when I was 13, at 2 am. They were 14, 16, and 18. But they had no problem as long as I called them (I had my cell phone, and I could call the room) every half hour or so. It pretty much depends on how responsible the children are.

Archived