What do you think is an appropriate age for leaving children in the room along?

mom22tinks

I was on a Disney Cruise in December and our tablemates let their kids sign in and out of kids clubs and come and go from the room. At night, their kids would stay in the room while the parents hung out at the bar, etc. The kids were 8 and 13 and they had an inside stateroom.

I am just wondering what other people do and if this seems appropriate or not.

Jess

Upcoming Carnival Splendor Easter Break March 2010

I think it very much depends on YOUR children. We sat next to a 3 and 7 year old who came to the theater early every night to save seats for their parents. very mature kids who had cruised a lot.

If your kids are the type to run up and down the halls, my answer is they are not ready.

It is absolutely not about age. Maturity is the important thing. I would be (and was) fine with my 11 year old staying in the cabin alone for a while. Never for more than an hour, though.

However, I know a few 15 year olds who I wouldn't let out of my sight for any length of time. :rolleyes:

I think it partially depends on the kids. I would possibly leave my kids home alone at 13 as I remember babysitting at 13. On a cruise ship, I think I'd be more hesitant. Right now my kids are only 4 and 1 though, so it's had to say how DD will be at 13. If she's anything like I was, then I'd have no problem leaving her and her brother in the room while I went to a show with DH. I would probably be a little more comfortable leaving her in the kids camp, but since she'd be old enough to check herself in and out there's no guarantee she would stay in the kids camp anyways.

At 13, I was babysitting a lot during the summer. I was a good student, VERY active in competitive sports, and was a goody-goody that always made the choices my parents would have liked. So, if DD is like that at 13, I'd leave her in the room. If she's like DH was, she'll be chained to me at ALL times. LOL

My daughter is 13 now, but we started cruising when she was 11. We invested in some motorola 2 way radios to take on the ship. She could stay in the room and come and go as long as she stayed in radio contact with us and let us know where she was. She knew she was not allowed to go in anyone elses cabin. We haven't had a problem.

It is absolutely not about age. Maturity is the important thing. I would be (and was) fine with my 11 year old staying in the cabin alone for a while. Never for more than an hour, though.

However, I know a few 15 year olds who I wouldn't let out of my sight for any length of time. :rolleyes:

reminds me of my ex husband:p

i was ok w/leaving youngest DS solo when he was 13, still worried he'd have a 'duh' moment & do something really stupid despite never giving me any crap on land. I have fear about kids (anybody's kids) falling overboard due to horseplay :o, not realistic; just the way im wired i guess?

This is the way I as a parent view it. Do you leave your kids alone while you run to the store? If yes then think do you run to the store and leave your kids there with the possibility of the house catching on fire?

I say 13 and older is one thing

I view the ship as the possibility of the house catching on fire. While my 5 year old is extremely responsible I would never leave him out of my sight without a trusted adult watching him on the ship. There are two factors for this: You do NOT know who is on that boat for you. It is not like we can look on the sex offenders registry for who will be on the ship with us. Not to mention I do not want to be the first parent whose three year old climbs over the railing!:eek:

Not an over protective parent here, just a vigilant street smart one.

Have we not learned something from the parents of Madeline in Portugal????

I was on a Disney Cruise in December and our tablemates let their kids sign in and out of kids clubs and come and go from the room. At night, their kids would stay in the room while the parents hung out at the bar, etc. The kids were 8 and 13 and they had an inside stateroom. I am just wondering what other people do and if this seems appropriate or not.

Appropriate to us.

I think it very much depends on YOUR children. We sat next to a 3 and 7 year old who came to the theater early every night to save seats for their parents. very mature kids who had cruised a lot.

So the 7 year old was more like 9 and the 3 year old more like 5.... :rolleyes:

Those parents must have been nuts!

Is that why the dingo ate your baby?:eek:

ROFL!!

I agree that it depends on the kids. When I cruised with my son in November (he was 12) we had 2 way radios so we could be in contact. I also told him some "stories" about what would happen to me and him should he get in trouble because he was acting like an idiot. I concur, that if you have to question this, the child is probably not ready. If they are, you just know, and no questions need be asked.

Well, I can say that when we cruise in December, my kids will be 12.5 and almost 7; it will be their 6th cruise (2nd time on the Fascination), so they know the lay of the land. They will have their own inside room, across the hall from us.

But, no, I would not leave them in the room while I went to a bar. Not for fear that they would not be safe (they would be locked in and watching a movie), but because if they are on a trip with us, it is a family trip. After we are done with the evenings entertainment, and they are done with camp, we will get them ready for bed and turn the lights out before we take those 2 steps across the hall. I will be awake long before my little one in the morning.

Well, I can say that when we cruise in December, my kids will be 12.5 and almost 7; it will be their 6th cruise (2nd time on the Fascination), so they know the lay of the land. They will have their own inside room, across the hall from us.

But, no, I would not leave them in the room while I went to a bar. Not for fear that they would not be safe (they would be locked in and watching a movie), but because if they are on a trip with us, it is a family trip. After we are done with the evenings entertainment, and they are done with camp, we will get them ready for bed and turn the lights out before we take those 2 steps across the hall. I will be awake long before my little one in the morning.

Exactly, my kind of parent.............kudos for putting your family first.

We did our first family cruise in February 2003 when our boys were 6.5 and 8. On that cruise, we kept pretty close watch. Yet they were allowed to leave the dinner table and find their way back to the room a couple times or maybe to go for a snack or something with detailed plan for return.

By their third cruise in February 2006, they were 9.5 and 11 and had pretty much run of the ship with appointed times to return. They could sign out of camps and such on their own. They'd choose to hang in the room by themselves a couple of nights and order room service while we went out.

We sail Sunday on Cruise 5 with 13.5 and 15 year-olds that will have pretty free reigns. We'll still want to know their plans and when they'll be back but they are seasoned travelers (they've also been to Europe, Mexico, etc.), understand the responsibility, and, when they're not trying to kill each other, even look out for their brother.

My children babysat at 12 so I would say they are old enough to be left alone for periods of time. Only you know your children and their behavior - my nephew was uncontrolable at that age (7) and the parents would never leave him with a sibling old enough to sit, they would hire someone. Also, don't let people quilt you into the "it is a family vacation and you should NEVER have some time to yourself." Even God needed a day of rest. This is everyones holiday and all should have a little say in how they spend the time. It's not like you plan on bar hopping every night until the wee hours. Have a great holiday and do what is best for you.

Two more things I think people need to keep in mind,,,one is that the other 2000 or so people on the ship are not "babysitters" they are there to enjoy their vacation time. 2nd the ship is kind of like a big city and just like you meet lots of nice people while traveling you DON'T know every one. Bad people or people who get not so nice after a few too many drinks don't walk around wearing all black so we know who they are.You don't need to get fingerprinted and pass a criminal background check to get on the ship...keep that in mind when you let your 3 and 7 yr old run around on their own. Sure there is that comforting thought that no one can take them off the ship BUT if some one was going to do them harm, by the time you found out it would be too late. JMHO please don't scream at me.

I never let my daughter out until she was 16 and had a friend with her and then it was only to go to the teen club or maybe to sit by the pool. As someone else mention, I go on vacation to have time with my child and would not consider letting her stay in the room by herself. We did things together and she was never unsupervised at that young of an age.

I have 2 very responsible girls, who will be almost 14 and 10 when we go. I'm a single parent, so they are often home alone after school for an hour or two. I think it depends on the kids, and you know them best.

They haven't cruised before, and I've never cruised with them. The plan is that we spend the majority of the day together. After dinner and a show, if they are tired and ready to go crash out in the room and watch a movie or read (my kids read a lot), then I am totally comfortable with leaving them there for an hour or two while I go see a more adult-oriented show or comedian. We will have two-way radios with us.

Individually, they will not have run of the ship. I trust them. I don't trust other people. Together, after they know their way around, they will be allowed to go to the room together or to go get ice cream or something, if I'm somewhere else and they are coming right back.

Neither one of my kids has any interest in Camp Carnival (we'll see if that changes) and my oldest would as soon go to the dentist than go hang out at one of the age-appropriate clubs LOL but if she makes a friend and changes her mind, I will let her go with the friend, with a radio, while I stay with my youngest.

I have less problem with them being in the room alone, together, than roaming the ship unsupervised.

Archived