HAl Solo

Dog Drool

Couple of quick questions. I am a 45 female who enjoyed cruise in the past I sailed the Zandam in 2005 and had a great time. I just got off a Carnival cruise I booked that because I thought it would be more welcoming to solos I missed the level of service with HAL would I be alright on Hal? other solos people to eat dinner with?

I sail HAL frequently as a solo, and have always felt welcome.

HAL will not necessarily seat you at a table with other solos if you choose the fixed dining time option. I've had enjoyable meals with tablemates whether they were sailing by themselves or a couple or part of larger group of family or friends.

Roz

I think you'd be fine on HAL as a solo. We always do open seating for dinner and more than a few times, they have sat us with a solo traveler. Every time it was a great experience. It's a nice way to meet new people! ;)

Whenever I have sailed on HAL as a solo, and not been part of a group, I have never had problems with being welcomed by HAL. I've always requested, and received, fixed dining, and on such cruises where I truly am solo aboard they've always placed me at a table with a mix of people - couples, singles, solos, etc. It's always worked out well.

HAL is great for singles and solos.

I've been sailing solo on HAL for more years than I care to count. Sometimes I'm with a group of friends, and sometimes I don't know a soul aboard. I always feel welcome and have a good time.

You make have to be more outgoing than comes naturally---that's dependent on your nature---but if you make an effort to meet people you will enjoy a HAL cruise.

I took my first HAL solo cruise this past November. It was an 18 day transAtlantic. I had an absolutely grand time and found the only time I was alone was in my cabin. I participated in the roll call pre-cruise on Cruise Critics and made some friends via e-mail. I had a wonderful table at dinner and found myself spending quality time with my dining companions during the day. I met people on tours and on deck. Try it and you will love it. I am planning another solo TransAtlantic this Fall.

michele

I was disappointed in the main dining room service for the Ryndam sailing January 17-24, 2010. This was my 3rd solo cruise and had previously enjoyed fixed dining at a large table for 8.

This time I had fixed late seating at a table for 4 and there were just 3 guests - 1 couple and myself. The other couple attended only the first 3 of the 7 nights.

On the nights I was seated alone I had the opportunity to observe the dining room staff. My table seemed to be at the dividing line between the 2 assistant dining room managers. One night I observed the assistant managers walk around the dining room speaking with each table and refilling water glasses. Every table but mine! Each time they appeared near my table they turned around and went back in a semi-circle. At one point I tried to catch their attention and asked for my water glass to be refilled - but it was the dining room steward who came over to help. After the meal I spoke with the dining room manager about my concerns - the next night I received a bottle of wine for my "inconvenience" however the next evening there was no noticable improvement in the service.

By the last night of the cruise I decided to give up on the solo dining room experience and treated myself to the Pinnacle Grill. I found the service and the food excellent :)

I found the cruise enjoyable except for the dining room! My experience will not deter me from booking my next Solo HAL cruise :)

This is all very good to know. I'm going on my first solo HAL cruise (second solo overall) and was kinda wondering...

Thanks for the info! (Even though I'm not the OP)

Request an officer's table, through your travel agent. They are generally at least eight people and there is always room for a single or two. The officers only dine with you on formal nights, but it is usually a nice mix of people.

I also have traveled solo on HAL, and have enjoyed it very much. Like one of the other posters said, the only time I was alone, was when I was in my cabin. As for the dinning room, when I booked, I always requested a large table late seating. There was always another person traveling solo, along with the other couples assigned to the table.

Go for it..you will have a good time.

All of my sailing on HAL have been as a solo cruiser. With one exception, the dining has been positive.

On my first sailing, I ran into problems with one of my tablemates. I didn't know at the time that simply going to the dining room manager and request table changes was an option. I end up eating in the Lido for the remaining of the sailing.

On my next cruise, I was placed at a table for six. We were all solo cruisers and I looked forward to dinner each night. In fact, I've sailed on a few other cruises with one of these tablemates.

On my 2007 cruise, I was placed with two families at a table for eight. I was really worried at first,but everyone was really warm and welcoming. Now several of the other solo cruisers that I met told me that open seats were at their tables and I could join them.

In 2008, my table was all solo and one couple. The wife was slightly upset at first because she wanted to dine with other couples. But they stayed at our table and things were great. This must have also been an officer table because 3 nights out of 14 we had an officer dine with us. I didn't know that wine flowed that freely :D!. I didn't ask my travel agent for an officer table,just a large table.

I also suggest to check out the single/solo lunch that HAL normally offers on the first sea day. I always find this a great way to meet other solo cruisers. In 2007, we went from one solo table to several because the solo cruisers kept on coming!

Also join your roll call! I meet so many people online prior to sailing!

Have fun on your HAL cruise, I know that I will in December!!!

Couple of quick questions. I am a 45 female who enjoyed cruise in the past I sailed the Zandam in 2005 and had a great time. I just got off a Carnival cruise I booked that because I thought it would be more welcoming to solos I missed the level of service with HAL would I be alright on Hal? other solos people to eat dinner with?

Dog Drool, don't forget to visit the threads on the Solo boards, there are so many great responses there, I've sailed Solo twice. Amsterdam to Alaska and Carnival to Bahamas. Hal will know you are a Solo and make sure you are taken care of at dinner, I was placed at a large table, and it had a mixture of folks. On Carnival I was placed with just solo's. I liked the just Solo's the best.

Also HAL has a great Luncheon for Solos and a meet and greet, which by the way was well attended.

Have a wonderful experience!

My very first cruise ever was on HALs Ryndam in the fall of 2008. Being new to cruising, I requested open seating when booking. A couple of times I ate alone at a table set for 2 (I was reading a really good book!). The rest of the times I sat with a group (6-8). At all times the service was excellent. I met a single lady (Canadian like myself)who was also cruising alone, and after awhile we'd meet up to eat together at breakfast and for lunch in the Lido. At dinner she had a fixed diner time in the upper dining room so she was seated with a group.

Anyway, my new friend and I met again on the Ryndam in the spring of 2009. This time we were both requested open seating and had a great time meeting new people as we were seated with a different group each night.

By the way, on each of the cruises there was a "singles/solo" lunch in the main dining room. Alas, only one such event per cruise! Wine (single glass) at each of the events was free.I did notice there were more solo woman cruising then solo men (like myself).

Archived