Forward cabins

lawyerrose

Most of the ship is well-lit which makes stargazing difficult. The lower front decks (below the bridge) are pitch black at night which provides a perfect view of the stars. This is so the bridge staff can see the ocean and stars more clearly.

Thanks!

1) Just because it is dark does not mean you'll get a good view of the stars. The clouds, or lack of clouds, will also affect your ability to see the stars.

2) The front of the ship is not kept dark so that the bridge staff can see the stars.

I prefer the forward cabins. Our first cruise, we were in a balcony cabin, forward on the Glory. Watching the flying fish was great. Since then, we've tried OV midship on the Ecstasy, midship balcony on Triumph, and aft balcony on the Legend. Definitely vote for the forward balcony. The only time we've had trouble with motion was our last night on the Glory. The seas were so rough, they cancelled the shows and recommended everyone stay off of the open decks. Felt like we were coming down on whales all night long. Our next cruise will be on the Triumph in just over two months. We'll be in a forward balcony on deck six and I'm looking forward to it big time.

We are leaving soon on our first cruise, the Conquest out of NOLA, and we are staying in 9208. I am a little nervous since I have idea if I get seasick or not, but I am very excited. Anyone have experience with this cabin?

We just got off the Conquest on Sunday 2/5. DH and I had Cabin 9205, Jr Suite all the way forward. The first 2 nights during the gulf crossing we certainly did feel the waves..and our balcony was beyond windy...but we were told later that our captain had sped up considerable to get an injured passenger to Grand Cayman. Once we reached the islands, the night time motion calmed down quite a bit. We were able to enjoy our balcony then. We loved being able to walk right to the lido pool and buffet areas, bringing snacks to our room without riding elevators! The only downside to 9205 was the Steward Station was right next door so we did hear a lot of commotion in the early mornings with carts, glassware, etc. But I'm an early riser so it didn't wake me. Our 2 sons were in an interior down the hall, 9215. They also loved the convenience of being on the Lido!

May I please remind people that many of these forward 4J cabins are Handicapped accessible and should only be booked by people in need of the special adaptations that these cabins have.

If you have a Handicapped 4J booked please move to a regular 4J so a person in a wheelchair will be able to cruise. Regardless of what Carnival says they do NOT move able bodied out of HC cabins. Thank you!

The end rooms are not HC just the 4 middle ones

The end rooms are not HC just the 4 middle ones

Yes on that particular deck and that particular ship. However, there are Handicapped 4J's on different decks and different ships. Please don't take my post personally. I was reminding everyone. Thanks! :D

Personally, this is a stupid area to have HC cabins. They are so out of the way and such a long way to get anywhere. HC cabins should be mid ship and near the elevators. These cabins were obviously designed by able bodied people. We found more motion at the front of the ship but we don't get sea sick so it didn't bother us. We didn't hear the slamming door but we were in a middle cabin. The guests in the end cabins found it a constant problem. We also had teen parties on the deck at night. However, a quick call to security broke it up. My mother in law hated not being able to see the sea but it didn't bother me a sky/deck view was fine.

Then what do you do if the ship docks so that the port is on the right side of the ship?

Go to the starboard side to get off the ship, of course. :p

The interesting etymology of these words can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard.

Also interesting is the popular but incorrect etymology of the term POSH as described here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/posh.

I am a little bit nervous about our forward room on our cruise this April.

We usually book a mid ship cabin on a lower deck. This time we'll be in a balcony room on the Verandah deck, about 10 cabins back from the bridge.

Why nervous, the movement? I find the forward cabins to have quieter halls.

Go to the starboard side to get off the ship, of course. :p

The interesting etymology of these words can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard.

I'm not sure Wikipedia got it totally right. I agree with the origin of the term starboard. However, as noted, it was on the right side of the ship. To avoid breaking it, the ship would dock so that the left side was next to the port. That is my understanding of the origin of the term port for left.

We sailed the Splendor last summer in a forward facing bow cabin on the Lido and loved it! On other ships we've sailed on the forward porthole cabins. My PVP shared this option to get sunlight at an interior rate and we have never looked back. I've never had an issue with too much movement.

Yes, the movement.

I've always sailed in the front, I really prefer it and haven't noticed that the movement is worse than when I am on other areas of the ship. On the other hand, the aft I do notice it more and would be bothered by the vibration back there that the non-azipod ships have.

I think the seas would have to be pretty high to start to make a difference in feeling between the front and middle of the ship.

I've always sailed in the front, I really prefer it and haven't noticed that the movement is worse than when I am on other areas of the ship. On the other hand, the aft I do notice it more and would be bothered by the vibration back there that the non-azipod ships have.

I think the seas would have to be pretty high to start to make a difference in feeling between the front and middle of the ship.

Yeah, I don't think we'll get an April hurricane off the coast of baja. ;)

I'm not sure Wikipedia got it totally right. I agree with the origin of the term starboard. However, as noted, it was on the right side of the ship. To avoid breaking it, the ship would dock so that the left side was next to the port. That is my understanding of the origin of the term port for left.

Isn't that what Wikipedia said? :confused:

On lower decks in front, you can hear the anchor and/or docking ropes. Usually at 7am. :mad:

You can also hear the waves hitting the ship more in the lower front of the ship. If calm, it can be romantic and relaxing. In rougher seas, it can wake you up.

The ship tends to pivot in the center of the ship near the waterline. The closer you are to that point, the less motion you experience. In particular, the up and down motion is more exaggerated in the front and aft cabins, and slightly more so on upper decks. That's physics.

If you do feel motion sickness, find a place to stare at the horizon. Your brain processes the motion better and the feeling will often subside after several minutes.

In my stateroom, I think I feel the motion the most when sitting on the toilet. Seriously. I can't explain it, just seems that way to me. :confused:

• 1 month later...
People seem to be polorized on whether they love or hate these cabins!

Does anyone else have any experiences with these to share??

We are seriously looking at booking one on the Lido and want to have all the info we can!

Thanks

We love them. We've been in 6201 on the Dream in the Med and 7201 on the Magic in the Med. We like feeling the motion of the ocean. Next month we are cruising with family in three of these rooms and we will find out if our family members love them as much as us or hate them.

May I please remind people that many of these forward 4J cabins are Handicapped accessible and should only be booked by people in need of the special adaptations that these cabins have.

If you have a Handicapped 4J booked please move to a regular 4J so a person in a wheelchair will be able to cruise. Regardless of what Carnival says they do NOT move able bodied out of HC cabins. Thank you!

So, my in-laws have no interest in using cruise critic :eek: So, when booking a cabin they just take what the PVP books for them. The PVP put them in one of these 4J cabins. It took me a lot of research to figure out what it was. We ended up upgrading them to a balcony but I just thought it was interesting they would put someone in one of these rooms when they were booking over a year out without the person requesting handicap. I did think Carnival moved able-bodied people.

Am I the only one who loves bow cabins? I almost never hear forward cabins talked about as desirable, but I love the sound the ship makes cutting through the water when I'm in those forward balcony cabins, and I love the motion!!:)

You go out on the balcony and feel the wind in your face and all the rest of the ship is behind you! I even like the fact that it forces me to do a little more walking; Lord knows I need it by the end of a cruise! :rolleyes:

Does everybody else feel like getting stuck with a bow cabin is the booby prize, or do some others out there enjoy them like I do??

An Aft wrap, and have never gone back. Just the best of both worlds.

We just love forward cabins! On the Freedom we had a great view of the side wing of the bridge from our cabin and found a "secret" door leading out to a very dark deck, great for star gazing, upper deck. On Paradise we were in a forward OV cabin. Yes, we did hear the anchor dropping, but we also SAW DOLPHINS following along side of the ship. :):) It was great. Have another forward balcony cabin booked on Legend in the fall.

Archived