FYI Babysitting on Celebrity Century

williamsk

Just returned home from a cruise on Century. It does seem that something irregular was/ has been going on (told to report to children's club vs. dropping off request at front desk, kind of awkward reception). Perhaps a result of very recent change in procedures? However, if you begin requesting on day 1 and follow up your request with another visit to the kid's club, it is possible to get babysitting for 1-3 year olds. They encourage you to allow them to sit in the children's club, but provide one counselor for a child. You can still have them sit in your room with two sitters.

The kid's club worked fine for us, and while my dd wasn't pleased at the turn of events, we returned to find her happily sitting by her counselor being read to. The counselors themselves seemed to be good with the children.

But... I do not recommend booking the specialty restaurant with the expectation that it will be available. Make sure the sitting is in place first!

So while I believe that previous posters have been denied child care in the past, it does seem to be a viable option.

I think the two sitters policy was a reaction to a lawsuit? Don't really know as just repeating this from a previous poster in another thread. It seems as if this may vary ship by ship in Celebrity's line. The kids club did state that an additional sitter would be at no additional charge.

I opted for the kids club as I like the fact that other parents would randomly stop by to pick up children... while no one else had access to them, the room was open to the desk so you could see what all the kids were doing. I'm also not a huge night owl, we basically wanted a little kid free predinner dancing and picked her up in time for late dining. If I were a night owl I might have opted for the in room sitters after she was already in bed.

In the kids club it is really just 1 large room on Century. Emily was assigned one counselor who stayed with her only and did age appropriate things (coloring and reading books). It definitely wasn't like she was thrown to the wolves with the 3-5 year olds, if that makes any sense? Just in the room, sometimes close by if doing a similar activity.

I felt fairly safe as she seemed well supervised.

My DD sometimes protests new daycare type surroundings unless held by an adult, so this arrangement seemed to suit her. She did go to daycare at the time, but just doesn't adjust rapidly to being thrown in new groups. My husband was worried she would cry the entire time, but seemed happy with having the total attention of an adult. So we were fairly pleased with the arrangement.

Archived