Considering Azamara to the Caribbean - help, please!

jimbug

Hi,

I've been on 6 cruises before, all on the "big" ships, and I've enjoyed each one. However, this trip will be just me and my husband, and we are looking to relax. We are in our late 20s, but we are not party-hardy night owls. I am attracted to Azamara's November 29 12-night Caribbean sailing...the ports are nice, and the lack of crowds onboard is a definite plus. (We are currently booked on Celebrity for the same time period, but I'm starting to think about a small-ship experience instead.)

Can someone who has been on Journey give me a feel for the overall cruise? I don't mind being some of the youngest onboard, but I don't want us to stick out like a sore thumb, either.

Does anyone have more menus, than what Host Andy has posted in the sticky message above?

Also, for any who have been to St. Barts--what in the world can you do there for two whole days?? I know this is where the rich and famous go to be "seen", but Azamara doesn't offer many shore excursions here, so I have no idea what we would do.

Thank you!!

My wife and I did the Journey last Spring to the Carb. We have traveled on just about every Cruise line this is. We found this ship to be very relaxed and just about perfect in every way. Dress code is easy to live with. Rooms were small but clean and well appointed, with good room service (we had booked their small Suite) with Veranda. Food was very good in every venue . Their two specialty Resturants were especially good, we ate there 50% of the time. Lunch and Breakfast also very nice, Entertainment was better than expected for a small ship, we really liked their Piano Player before dinner and after dinner as well. There certainly were many young folks on this cruise and few small children w/them (but not many children) Service was excellent and the crew and Mgt went out of their way to be helpful at all times. I can't believe you wouldn't be happy with this ship, we traveled on just about every celebrity ship afloat and feel Azamara is much better (just my opinion) After April they will provide some additional Perks that they presently do not do, such as wine served with lunch and Dinner and NO Gratuities expected. and some other things as well

RE: St Barts, find a local Tour Guide and get a one on one tour set up, you will enjoy it very much, that's what we did Hope this helps you:)

We completed a 16-night cruise on the Journey last month. There was a group of four girls in their late teens, two women in their twenties, a couple in their late twenties or early thirties, a few middle-aged people, and lots of people over 60. I would guess that the median age was well over 70. Many walkers, scooters, wheelchairs, etc. The shore excursions are targeted to that demographic, as the Azamara shore excursion person explained to us very bluntly when we asked why there are almost no "active" options. Likewise, the entertainment on board reflects the age of the passengers. The good news: the (small) gym was never crowded. My guess is that you might feel more comfortable with another line, although there is lots to like with Azamara--casual dress every night, small ship, two excellent specialty restaurants (if you can get reservations), etc.

Re: the specialty restaurants...are they difficult to get reservations in? Can you make reservations beforehand, or only once onboard?

I saw the menus posted--I think we would only be interested in the steakhouse (C7?), but not Aqualina. I could probably do 2, maybe 3 nights at C7 on a 12-night cruise and not repeat a dish. :)

Re: the specialty restaurants...are they difficult to get reservations in? Can you make reservations beforehand, or only once onboard?

I saw the menus posted--I think we would only be interested in the steakhouse (C7?), but not Aqualina. I could probably do 2, maybe 3 nights at C7 on a 12-night cruise and not repeat a dish. :)

We were rationed to two nights in the two specialty restaurants combined during our 16-night cruise. However, I have since seen posts suggesting that it's possible to get more. That would make sense, since the places were half empty both times we ate there. We could only make reservations onboard, but I have seen posts suggesting that members of Azamara's loyalty club may make at least one reservation in advance. Don't prejudge the food in Aqualina--I had one of the best meals I ever had on a ship in that restaurant.

Hi Jimbug !

As of right now, you can reserve 1 Specialty Dining in advance, as long as you are members of Captains Club. This may change after April 1st, when Azamara launches their own Loyalty Program.

Though Prime C is my personal favorite, I highly recommend both Specialty Restaurants. Another thing to keep in mind, the Menus posted at the top of this thread are dated, so the Menus are probably different by now.

We've been on 5 Azamara cruises and have NEVER had a problem getting reservations in Prime C or Aqualina. Past passengers can call and make one reservation before boarding.

People in their 20s are in the definite minority, so you have to decide whether that is important to you.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I'm still debating---the Millennium cruise falls over the Thanksgiving holiday, so that gives us a few more "free" days off from work without having to use precious vacation time...not to mention it's a bit cheaper, AND we have a coveted extra-large oceanview cabin.

BUT...the small-ship experience (again, no crowds!!!), the ports, the specialty restaurants, the dining in general (hello, smoothies for breakfast!), all sound so wonderful. I'd have to sacrifice my window for a standard inside on Journey, but I've done it before, and it didn't kill me. ;) So, right now I'm at an impasse. My TA has a courtesy hold on our cabin until Friday, so I've got to decide for sure by then.

Oh, and the age of fellow pax is of no bother to us. Like I said, we're not big partiers, and really just want to go and relax, get a bit of sun...get out of North Dakota for the winter! LOL...

We have been to St. Bart's many times over the past 25 years, but not on a cruise. We usually stay in a house or hotel for a week or so. Arrange to rent a car (I suggest automatic transmission) and explore the island. It is rather small and hilly with beautiful beaches (some of which are topless or nude....so read up before hand if that matters to you) and great restaurants and bakeries. Look at TripAdvisor.com for recommendations. Also be sure to have a Cheeseburger in Paradise while oogling the yachts in the harbor. The ambience is very French and you will feel like one of the rich and famous. No need for a guide in my opinion.

We have been to St. Bart's many times over the past 25 years, but not on a cruise. We usually stay in a house or hotel for a week or so. Arrange to rent a car (I suggest automatic transmission) and explore the island. It is rather small and hilly with beautiful beaches (some of which are topless or nude....so read up before hand if that matters to you) and great restaurants and bakeries. Look at TripAdvisor.com for recommendations. Also be sure to have a Cheeseburger in Paradise while oogling the yachts in the harbor. The ambience is very French and you will feel like one of the rich and famous. No need for a guide in my opinion.

Oooo, thanks for that suggestion! How is the driving there? Once upon a time, I had contemplated renting a car in St Maarten and exploring on our own there. Once I actually got to the island, though, and saw how congested/crazy the traffic is, I was sooooo glad we ended up hiring a guide/driver! Does St. Bart's compare?

Good for you, I know you'll enjoy your cruise on the Journey. Every cruise is different as to the age group on board. When we did the Carb, there were many young people on board, don't get caught up in posts that suggest you take another cruise because of the age group, thats just one persons opinion, do it and you'll enjoy it I promise you.:);)

The average age on Azamara is prety up there, however, there will be other young people. The small ship experience and the upgrade in food makes it worth it,

In St Barths, arrange for a car-driving a little crazy due to the roads, however, nothing like St. Maarten. Also, St Barths is very safe. St Barths is an island of beaches, restaurants and shopping with a decided European flavor.

One day, go to the Tom Beach Hotel and get chairs. It is on St Jean Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and the airport is right next to you so you can enjoy the small planes landing. Have lunch at their restaurant La Plage (makes chairs free). Expensive, but wonderful. You can also walk to Eden Rock and Nikki Beach.

Next day, hang in Gustavia. Have lunch in Le Select (cheesburger in paradise) and people watch. Also, the shopping is wonderful. Extremely expensive, but fun to walk around and again people watch.

Also, alot of people from cruise ships go to Shell Beach, close to tender. Not as noce as St Jean, but close. If you decide to go there, have lunch at Do Brazil-spectacular view.

If you are there on a Thursday or Friday, mussels and frittes fresh from Brittany are served at La Marine right in the Marina. La Marine also turns into a pretty good club later.

If what you want is to relax and you don't care if most people on board are old, then Azamara is the line for you. Most people on my last cruise were old. There were 3 kids, and one honeymoon couple. We met a few couples in their 30s...and enjoyed spending time with them. We are old, but not dead. Not much activity on the ship. Late night is almost nonexistent. However, it was very nice to relax. It may not be for everyone. If you are self sufficient and do not need a ton of activities, then you might enjoy Azamara. If you need a lot of entertainment, then Azamara may not be your best choice. When I travel just as a couple, Azamara, Oceania, Crystal, Regent, Seabourn are good choices. When I travel with my kids and grandkids, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity are better choices.

• 2 weeks later...
We completed a 16-night cruise on the Journey last month. There was a group of four girls in their late teens, two women in their twenties, a couple in their late twenties or early thirties, a few middle-aged people, and lots of people over 60. I would guess that the median age was well over 70. Many walkers, scooters, wheelchairs, etc. The shore excursions are targeted to that demographic, as the Azamara shore excursion person explained to us very bluntly when we asked why there are almost no "active" options. Likewise, the entertainment on board reflects the age of the passengers. The good news: the (small) gym was never crowded. My guess is that you might feel more comfortable with another line, although there is lots to like with Azamara--casual dress every night, small ship, two excellent specialty restaurants (if you can get reservations), etc.

We just returned from the Journey. While the passengers change on each cruise, we did not see any walkers or scooters. There was 1 woman in a wheelchair. The staff was wonderful to her and I saw her at ports, on the tender, everywhere on the ship. There is dancing every night in the Looking Glass with a live band and a DJ. We book our own shore excursions and do not do the ship excursions. You can find some very active private excursions on each island. We drove to the beautiful beaches on the south side of Martinique. I will be posting a very detailed "How to" on the Martinique board in the next couple of weeks. We took the ferry to Pointe Du Boot and rented the car there, thus avoiding the Fort De France traffic. We had no trouble getting reservations in the specialty restaurants.

Read the ports of call, roll calls, and take advantage of the information on CC. That is what we do and we always have a wonderful cruise. Age is a state of mind. We love talking with people of all ages, nationalities, etc. We learn something new from each conversation. Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Depends where you want to go. Marigot is a nice place to roam around, do some shopping, and enjoy a fantastic french meal. If you want to do beaches, taxi is about $20 each way to Orient Beach. Renting a car is nice and the easy to drive. Contrary to a previous posting in this thread, I have stayed in St. Martin about 20 times...always rent a car...easy to drive around. Avoid the airport area and traffic isn't bad. Philipsburg can get busy... go early for parking. Marigot is easy to walk, park, and wander. Azamara docks in Marigot...enjoy.

Hi,

I've been on 6 cruises before, all on the "big" ships, and I've enjoyed each one. However, this trip will be just me and my husband, and we are looking to relax. We are in our late 20s, but we are not party-hardy night owls. I am attracted to Azamara's November 29 12-night Caribbean sailing...the ports are nice, and the lack of crowds onboard is a definite plus. (We are currently booked on Celebrity for the same time period, but I'm starting to think about a small-ship experience instead.)

Can someone who has been on Journey give me a feel for the overall cruise? I don't mind being some of the youngest onboard, but I don't want us to stick out like a sore thumb, either.

Does anyone have more menus, than what Host Andy has posted in the sticky message above?

Also, for any who have been to St. Barts--what in the world can you do there for two whole days?? I know this is where the rich and famous go to be "seen", but Azamara doesn't offer many shore excursions here, so I have no idea what we would do.

Thank you!!

My wife and I have been on the Journey twice before, TA in 2008 and Med in 2009. We love the ship and the new club status should be great. So I am just now joining the discussion.

Ron and Linda

As noted above we are just now joining the discussion and look forward to getting to know the folks who will be on the April 1 trip. I reviewed our trip in the Med last fall in case anyone wants to look at it. Under my screen name Buck1.

We were originally scheduled for a full month next fall but with our lousy weather in the mid-Atlantic we decided to cancel half the fall outing and get some warmer weather and sun.

This little respite should be a little easier to recover from than the Med trip as it was a full week before we were fully jet lag recovered. Comes with age I guess. We are active and you will see us on the jogging/walking track every morning before breakfast. That is my reward for doing the two miles every morning before we set off to travel on what ever excursion we book. On this trip, not sure how many excursions we will make as we have been on most of the island more than once. Only St. Barts when my brother-in-law has a home is still on the not-visited list.

Now if we can only get around to sending in our on-line registration so we get our travel package. Maybe tonight.

Incidentally Linda and I are from Maryland.

Ron

Archived