Fun Ship

Interrogation Room

The reason I asked is because I read alot of bad reviews about people not enjoying their cruise.

A little challenge for when you have some time on your hands. Check out the member reviews for every ship and find a ship with more than 10 reviews none of which are negative.

This will be our first cruise so I want to find out as much information as I can.

This board is certainly the right place. But you are going to have to ask well defined questions. There are those who define fun based on the number of planned activities available at any given time. Those who define it as a quite place by a pool to read a good book. Those whose definition includes karaoke every night. Those who want to dance till 3 am and those who want a very quite ship after 10 pm.

The reason I asked is because I read alot of bad reviews about people not enjoying their cruise.

This will be our first cruise so I want to find out as much information as I can.

I have noticed most of the people who complain also booked suites. I book the cheep fairs and enjoy the free upgrades I receive. I think it is all in your attitude.

My first cruise on Carnival Inspiration the purser desk messed up my charges and triple charged me and stuff was not refunded for over a month. They were awful at the purser desk on that trip. I had ordered a t-shirt to be delivered to my son which did not arrive until late in the vacation. They would not give me any sea sick medication for my son when he was sick. They docked on the other side of the grand cayman island from the beach which resulted in a $25 charge to get to the beach....they could not help this.....perhaps that is why they cancel that port call now more often.

The ship was absolutley awsome. The other staff were wonderful and we had a blast. The booked shore excursions were wonderful. Even the ones that were modified due to weather.

So, my next cruise, I had 5 people in my cabin. I gave them another chance and my charges were ok with no problems on the Holiday. The purser desk was great most of the time. However the comedian was horrific. It was some man off of comedy central that my 17 and 15 yr old really liked so we went to the late show (I figured probibly not any language worse then thier shows or video games) WRONG. The guy was stoned and drunk....he ended up calling a man a fag, a 10 yr old boy a fag also and a 17 yr old girl a whore and made fun of me when I got up and left his show. It had nothing that was funny in the least to me and I choose not to watch crap. When it was brought to the boat directors attention they dismissed my concerns and the parents of the girls concerns. Very poor taste in booking that comedian...however all the other shows were awsome. My kids are not allowed to watch comedy central with out me present at home (to ensure that crap is not spewing from my tv when I am not aware of it, I think it reflected worse on Comedy Central in my opinion).

The boat was smaller, I did not get as lost, but the wow factor was a little lower. We still had a blast, and we did not book shore excursions but instead choose to go it on our own and had a ball in ports.

Now I am booked again on Carnival. While I would have rather checked out one of the other cruise lines, Carnival is the cheepest and I can get more people on for the price of one ticket on another cruise lines ship. So I am paying for my sister and neice to go with me rather than going alone.

Every trip I book the cheep fair and let them choose my room. I have never been disapointed in my room or accomidations. I booked early enough this time I finally have the early 6pm dinning. I have been upgraded to a room with a french door and obstructed view (I paid the lowest fair on the ship for this upgraded room at no charge). I understand peoples frustrations when they pay $2700 for the room for 2 people....however I book the interior rooms and just use the money to purchase added activites or suveniers.

I have read that the Pride has issues with charges so I will be using a cash account this cruise rather then my credit card. I will post a review of how my trip goes later.....however, for the value Carnival is not so bad.

I know the name says it all but is Carnival really a fun ship?:confused:

Compared to RCCL and Celebrity I would rate it The Fun Ship. Carnival folks stay awake longer. Those on the other two lines turn in earlier. Just MHO.

[quote name='Interrogation Room']Can you please explain what do you mean?:confused:[/quote]

Yes. By all means, let me explain.
My comments were meant to be amusing. The words, 'never, negative, not', and 'nothing' are all called negatives in English usage. When combined together to make a statement that I am NOT negative, it makes for a contradictory assertion that is really ridiculous. The statement is compounded by the final scowl face indicating anger which is also a NEGATIVE emotion.
To summarize: This was tongue in cheek humor and not meant to be a serious response.

[quote name='1980dory']yes. By all means, let me explain.
My comments were meant to be amusing. The words, 'never, negative, not', and 'nothing' are all called negatives in english usage. When combined together to make a statement that i am not negative, it makes for a contradictory assertion that is really ridiculous. The statement is compounded by the final scowl face indicating anger which is also a negative emotion.
To summarize: This was tongue in cheek humor and not meant to be a serious response.[/quote]

[SIZE="6"]lol![/SIZE]

[quote name='Interrogation Room']The reason I asked is because I read alot of bad reviews about people not enjoying their cruise.

This will be our first cruise so I want to find out as much information as I can.[/quote]
Good move to research! First cruise can be uncertain ... before our first cruise, I could not imagine that it would be so much fun and so relaxing -- just wish I'd figured it out sooner! Go have fun!

My first cruise I did not read any reviews or do any research other than how to get on the ship. I actually think it was better this way because I went into it with an open mind and not a preconceived notion of what it would be like. It was a Carnival cruise and I had a lot of fun.

Before my second trip I discovered Cruise Critic. While I was really greatful for all the useful information I found (especially because we left from Manhattan!), I'm still glad I didn't find it until my second cruise.

I'm leaving on my third cruise in two weeks, and I've been heavily partrolling these boards for the last six months. I have all the excursions planned, deck plans printed, I even know what's being served in the MDR each night. Which is great, I feel like I'm really prepared, and I really appreciate all the great advice my fellow members have and all the infor they've shared. But if I'm being honest, the last couple weeks I feel like I've been having a little bit of "cruise fatigue" - and we haven't even left yet! Too much of a good thing, I guess. For my fourth cruise I'm going to find a happy medium between not planning at all and researching every detail to death.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is doing research can be good, and it's fun to plan and talk with others on these boards, and hear about other's experiences. But maybe don't overdo it, especially because this is your first cruise and you want to enjoy it from your own perspective, not others' perspectives. Just my $0.02.

[quote name='Rockportgirl']It can be whatever kind of ship you want it to be... fun ship, relaxing ship, gambling ship, music ship... it is what you make it.[/QUOTE]

Well said... so true

One of the most amazing parts of cruising to me is half the ship could be partying hard but there is always somewhere I can go and be alone and enjoy the sounds of the ocean and considering the 1000's of passengers and crew it's amazing!

• 1 month later...

Archived