Princess allows non-cruisers onboard for embarkation day

Infi

I like the idea, I wish I lived closer to a port so I could join family onboard or vice versa. As for the security worries and concerns about getting people off the ships on time, I agree, this has been going on for quite some time, it's called wedding parties that enjoy the ceremony and then leave before the ship sails, travel agents who take a tour, etc.

I remember on one of my first cruises back in the '90s eating lunch at the Lido restaurant and talking to a woman at my table who turned out to be a TA just touring the ship.

I don't like it at all! With today's terrorist threats I don't need anyone having even a slight chance of someone planting anything in a hidden corner. I'm sure some will argue that even a passenger could do that, but why ask for more chances of trouble? We've had family who lives near ports join us for pre-sail parties in the mid '70's, but that was a much different time.

I totally agree with you!! Obviously Princess is letting the profit motive outweigh the desire to provide security to the staff and guests! Even though they can't prevent all problems, this is one that they don't have to allow. And how many "visitors" are going to want to do this?? You'd have to live pretty close to the port or you're going to travel a long way just to spend 4 hours on a ship. Sure doesn't seem worth the risk to me. I hope they see this and realize all the passengers do not like this change. :mad:

I totally agree with you!! Obviously Princess is letting the profit motive outweigh the desire to provide security to the staff and guests! Even though they can't prevent all problems, this is one that they don't have to allow. And how many "visitors" are going to want to do this?? You'd have to live pretty close to the port or you're going to travel a long way just to spend 4 hours on a ship. Sure doesn't seem worth the risk to me. I hope they see this and realize all the passengers do not like this change. :mad:

There isn't any change that Princess could make that all the passengers would like. If Princess lowered the price of the cruise $1 someone would complain that some less desirable segment of society would now be able to cruise and would just ruin the cruise experience. If Princess raised the price of the cruise $1 someone would complaint the prices were too high.

I keep getting you and Jean mixed up. :o I miss our ship tours. :(

Were you on Bob's tour of the Summit in May 2006? Or at the Acapulco party afterwards?

Back to the theme of this thread. I mentioned the ship's tour to my hubby and he didn't see a downside to it. I don't either. Your passport info is relayed to the cruiseline (and probably to HSA agencies) ahead of time. You board separately (and probably earlier) than passengers. You'll be getting fed as passengers are starting to board, so most likely you're not keeping others from eating in the MDR if it does get opened for regular dining. The $39 will keep locals who aren't a bit interested in cruising from trying to get a free meal (plus you need to piggyback your reservation onto a passenger's sailing). There's a psychological incentive for many who do go on the tour to book a future cruise.

And most likely, the majority of passengers onboard might not even notice or be affected in any way.

I have attached a photo of the menu for the Sapphire Member Luncheon held in June 2004 during the launching of the Sapphire. We were allowed 3-4 hours onboard including lunch and the food was wonderful. So, I am not sure where the comments about food quality are coming from.

Also, this was free and we were allow to invite one guest. Our guests were very impressed with the food and the ship and wanted to book a cruise right there. Isn't that the purpose of the new offering? Why serve bad food?

Here it is on flickr - if the attachment is too small to read.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47252541@N03/

750428479_SapphireMenu.jpg.8017e7183f1f2dadd1c61e70e1b6668c.jpg

I think this is the worst idea. If your were on the plane to Detroit on Christmas , or some of the other high profile incidents that had people thinking all is well ,this is just another door they can use. I'm in marketing and there are good ideas and than the ones that backfire and than it's too late. Better to keep it safe.

I think this is the worst idea. If your were on the plane to Detroit on Christmas , or some of the other high profile incidents that had people thinking all is well ,this is just another door they can use. I'm in marketing and there are good ideas and than the ones that backfire and than it's too late. Better to keep it safe.

Who are you talking about, for pete's sake?? Osama bin Laden can't just walk up and buy a ticket to lunch. To do this, one has to be a guest of a passenger already sailing -- I doubt that too many amorphous "theys" out there have close friends/relatives who are booking Princess cruises. Why isn't boarding a plane similarly problematic -- I mean, American Airlines will sell a ticket to pretty much anyone. At least in order to have lunch on Princess, you have to be vouched for by a passenger. I think we all need to dial back the paranoia before it becomes impossible to sing that line about "home of the brave" with a straight face.

Are you serious?

As many others have stated Princess regularly has visitors onboard and has been able to screen them effectively. Any security issues we come up with on this board have reviewed ad nauseam by Princess and then reviewed again by Carnival Corp.

We have four upcoming cruises with Princess and would love to see visitors getting a taste of the product Princess has to offer.:)

Our Coral cruise on March 7 through the Panama Canal will be the roll out cruise for this. I will be more than happy to tell you all about it! Being from the east coast I don't have anyone to take on the ship. Hope they don't get in front of me for lunch!:D

Who are you talking about, for pete's sake?? Osama bin Laden can't just walk up and buy a ticket to lunch. To do this, one has to be a guest of a passenger already sailing -- I doubt that too many amorphous "theys" out there have close friends/relatives who are booking Princess cruises. Why isn't boarding a plane similarly problematic -- I mean, American Airlines will sell a ticket to pretty much anyone. At least in order to have lunch on Princess, you have to be vouched for by a passenger. I think we all need to dial back the paranoia before it becomes impossible to sing that line about "home of the brave" with a straight face.

I tend to agree. Terrorists can freely walk into many large stadiums, shopping malls, schools, large office buildings, subways, hotels, etc... with out going through security. If they want to blow something up, they can.

Any items brought onboard by these people is going to be xrayed.

It amazed me when I got on my river boat cruise in Europe (granted this was smaller) but we just walked on and off with no security. It felt like a hotel.

Hard to believe how accepting we have become of severe assults on our personal freedoms in the name of "security". IMHO if we are aware and checking for something the terrorists will find another way. Using that philosophy planes are probably safer than other forms of transportation. But if we give up living our lives then indeed the "enemies" have won.

I believe that if a suicide bomber wanted to bomb a ship then probably would buy a ticket just like they did for planes. Probably a $39 lunch deal (with same security ie: computer search of passport/xray etc) would not be a huge attraction. :rolleyes:

I have attached a photo of the menu for the Sapphire Member Luncheon held in June 2004 during the launching of the Sapphire. We were allowed 3-4 hours onboard including lunch and the food was wonderful. So, I am not sure where the comments about food quality are coming from.

Also, this was free and we were allow to invite one guest. Our guests were very impressed with the food and the ship and wanted to book a cruise right there. Isn't that the purpose of the new offering? Why serve bad food?

Here it is on flickr - if the attachment is too small to read.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47252541@N03/

Very nice perk. How many cruises or sea days does it take to get an invitation for a Captain's Circle luncheon/tour?

Very nice perk. How many cruises or sea days does it take to get an invitation for a Captain's Circle luncheon/tour?

Right place at the right time. We had only done 1 cruise to Mexico and were given this invitation. They launched the Sapphire in Seattle and I believe some Princess Captain Circle members living in the area were invited. It was a great experience and we will always be thankful we were given the invitation.:D

I have to admit that in this day and age of being security minded, reinstating these parties seems to be frivolous and just another money making scheme. Although it does appear that Princess is taking security precautions.

Yes, I realize that travel agents already have tours and parties onboard. And I find the crowds noisy and disrupting. Maybe I'm just being selfish that I don't want to share the joy of embarkations with non-cruisers, but I don't I like this reinstatement of a old tradition. Isn't the turn around time between disembarkation of the last cruise and embarkation of the new passenger tight enough without adding more people coming or going?

what will happen to these parties/tours if the ship is late arriving or has problems with officials on docking? This happens fairly often and if you had planned for your family to board with you and then embarkation is held up VERY DISAPPOINTING. I agree with the OP -- There is so much going on embarkation day and so much to do why stress out the crew more by adding another set of people? $39 pp for up to 50 people is not much of a money maker ($2,000 minus food cost and expenses not to mention future bookings credits). Also only folks who have never sailed Princess allowed the future cruise credit?

Looks like the terrorists have already won the war against some people given the amount of paranoia displayed here. I thinks it's a great idea and will hardly be disruptive. I've been on board when travel agents come aboard for a look around and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Well said...

I don't really think there is any security issue that Princess can't handle , and I don't mind travel agent being on board, that is a part of operating a cruise business. I have had TAs ask to see our room on embarkation day when we were already occupying it, and that is OK with me. However, Princess generally discourages passengers from using the dining rooms at embarkation on the grounds that the staff are busy with the turnaround. Now they seem to have food preparation, wine and dining room staff available to service a group of non-passengers. When one considers that this staff are largely paid from the passengers 'Hotel Charge', a majority of whom will never be able to use this service, I think that staff would be better utilized serving paying passengers.

Let me get this straight here. Some are worried about allowing 'strangers AKA non sailing passengers' onboard a ship for a 4 hour tour and lunch? These same strangers are no different then the hundreds/thousands you will be cruising with on each and every cruise. It sounds like they will also have to provide the same type of information, security wise, for this 4 hours as you or I would to take this cruise. The only difference is, these people won't have carry on luggage or checked baggage, and they will have to go through at least the same security we have to to board. How this would become a security risk is beyond me? No more than traveling with a ship full of strangers on a regular cruise.

Has anyone considered that you won't be the one missing out but it may actually be the crew who are normally rostered off that will be missing out. One option is they will just increase the number of crew on IPM.

Also when you are on board you don't normally wander around on your own but stay with the person who takes you on. They may take you into their cabin but there would be no reason for you to go into any other cabins.

Archived