Planning for a group of 20+ ppl

lizzytobias

Hi all!

I have a group of *probably* 20+ ppl (all families) who want to plan a cruise together. I was looking at some of the CC Crazies deals, which look good, but not sure if I should go with something like that, or call a TA (maybe at CruCon?) privately. Could someone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Meg

Use to be a TA and did a few family groups. Just be prepared for the fact that everyone wants to go until it comes time to put up money. Did one wedding group where the family said they would need 30 cabins for all the relatives who wanted to go. I think we did 10-11.

I totally agree about the people. Actually, about 50 have expressed interest, so I was basing the guess off removing the 'yes, but no cashers'. The plan is to book a yr or so out so that everyone can make payments.

I just did a group. We have 32 going. I went with a TA. I think that's the best way. We booked at Early Saver price. Also for every 15 people the 16 is free minus the taxes. Since it is a year or so out I would get insurance. Lots can change in that time.

Hi all!

I have a group of *probably* 20+ ppl (all families) who want to plan a cruise together. I was looking at some of the CC Crazies deals, which look good, but not sure if I should go with something like that, or call a TA (maybe at CruCon?) privately. Could someone give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Meg

I am doing the exact same thing right now. First you need to decide if you want to be the coordinator of all of it. It is a lot of details and a lot of work. We also have people who say they want to go, but if I had to guess I would bet they will back out. I would suggest waiting until you have 8 definate cabins ready to book and more importantly pay the deposit, and then call both Carnival and your TA to see which perks you can get. After that, I would set up a website, or a group page on facebook for all the people to look and see what is going on, how much everything cost, and leave messages and questions for each other. It is also a safer way for people to know where others cabins are so they can decide where they want to book. Then delegate. Ask for a volunteer to collect different info on each port, both through the cruise line and private tours. Ask for another one to find out hotel info at port. And so on. If you get to have a cocktail party for a perk have a "host" or "hostess" in charge of that. Try not to take it all on yourself.

I would let a TA handle everyone's requests/problems/arrangements. With that many, there WILL be some unhappy folks...it's inevitable...and YOU don't want to have to deal with it, or feel guilty about it!

Let a TA handle everyone...then NOTHING will be "your fault"...

It's one thing when it's your own family and YOU'RE in charge...it's quite another when you have multiple personalities at play. Let all of the parties be responsible for their own good time....

Thank you so much for the feedback. So do you think I should have us join one of the Crazies cruises or can I get a better deal elsewhere? (Ex: on Crazies cruise on here starts at $460 pp with an OBC of $100 per cabin)

I think a good place to start would be to drop by the tread that you're interested in and see if the group 'fits'!

If you like what you see, give the TA a call and see what's available.

:)

I think a good place to start would be to drop by the tread that you're interested in and see if the group 'fits'!

If you like what you see, give the TA a call and see what's available.

Timetable and itinerary (well, and price)-wise, it fits. Beyond that, I think my 20 will keep me active enough that if I didn't mesh with everyone else, I would STILL be fulfilled ;)

I would let a TA handle everyone's requests/problems/arrangements. With that many, there WILL be some unhappy folks...it's inevitable...and YOU don't want to have to deal with it, or feel guilty about it!

Let a TA handle everyone...then NOTHING will be "your fault"...

It's one thing when it's your own family and YOU'RE in charge...it's quite another when you have multiple personalities at play. Let all of the parties be responsible for their own good time....

Arrange things but do not get involved with their money.

Another sanity saver is not to have too many group events. Our group has two events scheduled- a CE night picture and an ice cream social.

We each decide what shore excursion we want to do. If several express an interest in a particular one, great.

The only time we see everyone is at dinner.

Do not try to 'herd cats', it will leave you frustrated.

Another sanity saver is not to have too many group events. Our group has two events scheduled- a CE night picture and an ice cream social.

We each decide what shore excursion we want to do. If several express an interest in a particular one, great.

All excellent suggestions... I would NEVER consider trying to handle booking all the cabins, etc.

We let the folks on the cruise decide what they would like to do. As an example, we had a cabin crawl... about 30 out of 300+ participated; same with a few other events. We DID have a few big events like our cocktail party that had huge turnouts!

We discuss excursions in ports but don't try to find just one or two... ports are up to the individuals.

Pretty much everyone gets together at dinner as all group bookings are linked!!

I definitely only want us all on the same ship; beyond that, I think it will just be fun runing into one another or going on the same excursions. I am not a CD; I don't want to act like one since I too will be on vacation ;)

Thank you so much for all these points! I needed logic! =)

I definitely only want us all on the same ship; beyond that, I think it will just be fun runing into one another or going on the same excursions. I am not a CD; I don't want to act like one since I too will be on vacation ;)

Thank you so much for all these points! I needed logic! =)

Ooo... not good... if you're looking for logic don't come to me!!!

:D

Fun... you bet! Logic... ummm... not so much!!!

:D

Exactly. I was a leader for a group of 50 people on my Glory cruise. I bascially just planned what *I* wanted to do, told everyone if they were interested in coming along, awesome. Pointed them in the right direction if they weren't. Sent out reminder emails occasionally. Made up tshirts (get the money before ordering). Organized a group dinner the night before we sailed. AND sent out an email a week or two before we sailed stating that I was "off duty" when the wheels of my plane touched ground in Miami. And we all went with the understanding we weren't obligated to be with one another 24/7.

We did a group cruise a year and half ago and have another one planned in July. Last time we booked 9 cabins. This time I feel it will be 16 or 17.

Before, we decided on the cheapest week in July to go. We did it far enough in advance so that it wouldn't be a problem for anyone to get off of work.

What I did was to tell everyone what my family and another family had planned on shore. They were welcome to go. Most of the group did go.

We had a great time!

No one felt like we had to stick together so there was no pressure to make everyone happy.

We did a group cruise a year and half ago and have another one planned in July. Last time we booked 9 cabins. This time I feel it will be 16 or 17.

Before, we decided on the cheapest week in July to go. We did it far enough in advance so that it wouldn't be a problem for anyone to get off of work.

What I did was to tell everyone what my family and another family had planned on shore. They were welcome to go. Most of the group did go.

We had a great time!

No one felt like we had to stick together so there was no pressure to make everyone happy.

This is basically where I am coming from; just not sure the best way to book it.

Is there somewhere that shows what benefits come with each block of cabins booked?

Changes by ship, itinerary, time of year etc. The group will be granted a certain amount of amenity points that can be spent on different things.

are 8 cabins sailing in july-we booked indivially through pvp-now is it too late to get any "group" discounts?

You may not be able to get a change in rate, but if you organize as a group you may be able to get some of the aforementioned points.

we are 8 cabins sailing in july-we booked indivially through pvp-now is it too late to get any "group" discounts?

call the agent to ask if its too late to change this to a group booking.

Depends if you booked ES rate. If you booked at a regular rate-- find out what it would cost to cancel and rebook- the price may be higher then what you paid but amenities might make it worth it.

If a price reduction happens after you pay-- you could lose amenities.

Just a heads up from my own experience...sometimes I have been known to charge things for others on my CC because they do not have one and they pay me back later...I learned the hard way NOT to do it if you are booking a cruise using the ES rate...because what happens if they decide for whatever reason they are unable to go and since no money has as yet changed hands, they think nothing of cancelling...then YOU are out the $50 cancellation charge AND the rest of the deposit because Carnival holds it in their name! Now a decent person would reimburse you for this money...mine did eventually...but sometimes people can surprise you.

Make sure everyone is responsible for their OWN bookings and deposits!!

Archived