What should we do in Key West?

auggiemom

7:00 - 2:00 ???? That's rediculous! The FUN :D doesn't start in Key West until around 2:00 !!

I really wish RCI would have more afternoon / evening port stops! :)

I took a cruise on AOS a few years ago. We were scheduled to be in Aruba until something like 11PM. Then, a teenaged girl disappeared from the Carlos and Charlies in Aruba. Our itinerary was altered, forcing us to leave at an earlier time.

Related? I think so.

We were really looking forward to a late night on one of our ports of call, but I suppose the cruise lines have to be concerned with liability issues. You rarely find ANY ships in port after 6PM these days, unless it's an over-night stay.

Go to "Kino's" factory/store and purchase a few pair of sandals. They are well known for their leather sandals. Years ago we purchased our "Kino's". They are still in good shape.

Back at home, people will acknowledge that you have been to Key West when the see you wearing your "Kino's".

The store is within walking distance of the ship, and is near all the tourist's travels.

Have a fun cruise!

my husband and I are going to key west in may on the majesty and we are scheduled 7:00 am - 3:00...We want to go to the ripley's belive it or not museum. Is this something we can just walk to from the ship without having to book it as an "excursion" through RC???? Im so going to try the key lime pie on a stick:p that sounds yummy

my husband and I are going to key west in may on the majesty and we are scheduled 7:00 am - 3:00...We want to go to the ripley's belive it or not museum. Is this something we can just walk to from the ship without having to book it as an "excursion" through RC???? Im so going to try the key lime pie on a stick:p that sounds yummy

Yes. It is a very easy walk. It's one block from the end of Duval St, right next to the entrance to the Hogs Breath Saloon.

I will be in Key West 7-2 in July. What an I do with two teenagers? I have already been to the aquarium. I was thinking about the kayaking tour. We will snorkle at two other stops so I want to do something 'different' here.

How about BAR 801.....Yes 801 Duval Street.....You will get to see Drag Queens.....hopefully, might be too early......but how many cruises do you go on and tell your friends back home you had a beer with a DRAG QUEEN!

I would rent Scooters and explore......Key West is the best........

I am having homemade Key Lime Pie on Saturday night and get to enjoy a Key Lime Pie Martini to help soooth it down to the tummy....I am Spoiled! :)

Have fun!

Mike

1) Don't miss the Harry S Truman "Summer White House" which is just a 5-10 minute walk from Mallory Square. Lots of history about my favorite president!:D

2) Key West has the best coral reefs around. Consider taking a glass bottom boat cruise out to them.

How about BAR 801.....Yes 801 Duval Street.....You will get to see Drag Queens.....hopefully, might be too early......but how many cruises do you go on and tell your friends back home you had a beer with a DRAG QUEEN!

Mike

Love Pink Elvis

Don't know if he's still out and about but have the pic!!:D

• 1 month later...

I live in Miami, and we go down to Key West for weekends on a regular basis.

Key West is pretty AWESOME!

Quaint island town, lots of drinking - lots of live music

=) Makes me happy just thinking about it.

You’re definitely going to want to walk down duval street which will have tons of great bars.

Two great old bars that I wouldn’t miss (Lots of great history-google them for more info)

Captain Tonys

Green Parrot

One place that we never get tired of going to is "Peppers"

Its a hot sauce tasting bar, very fun experience if you're into spicy.

Even if you don’t like hat sauce they have some great marinades that we are just wild about.

Another Must:Walk along the docks on the south side and have lunch at 'Oyster on the Half Shell.'Great Tip: Sit by the open windows on the water and crush some of the crackers and sprinkle them into the water below. Tons of colorful parrot fish will come up to the surface.

Hope you have a great Time!

Another great place for Key Lime Pie on a Stick is at the Blonde Giraffe. We've actually ordered it online so we can enjoy it here at home (kinda expensive though)

Went to the Blonde Giraffe with my wife and two sons. We each ordered a chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick. None of the other three could finish theirs. I finished them all off. must have at least two and a half. YUMMY :D

• 2 months later...

I second the jet ski excursion. We did it last October and had a blast. They take you all around Key West and if your lucky a dolphin will make an appearence. The tour is about 2-2 1/2 hours long.

Archived