Eggs Benedict...

MaiTaiMary

Never seen it in the buffet, and haven't been to the MDR in years ever since they created the omelette stations upstairs.

But the Eggs Benedict in the MDR always had loose whites, which I can't get down. So last time I ordered it, I thought I'd be smart and asked to have it cooked a bit more. I got a hard boiled egg on an english muffin, which canadian bacon and hollandaise. :eek:

I have to agree with most of the poster's on this subject CCL E B are over done and down right dry, the exact opposite of what their sawpost to be, but on the other hand the slice of Canadian bacon you get on CCL is 4 times thicker than NCL. Great idea to order everything in sides as the english muffin I can do with out. When I'm on NCL if the ship has a good hash I order the hash with poached eggs on the top and the Hollandaise souse on the side ou la la, which is the way I go on NCL because you can read thru the slice of cand. bacon. Happy cruising Bob.

I've read in numerous threads that the eggs benedict in the buffet isn't very good.

What about the MDR? Eggs benedict is my vacation splurge! Not something I eat on a regular basis at home. I'd love to have it on my cruise! :D Somebody tell me it's good in the MDR, please!! LOL

Depends on if you like real Hollandise sauce. Unfortunatley they won't make the real stuff so you are stuck with fake Hollandise, which makes the Eggs Benedict pretty lame IMO.

I've read in numerous threads that the eggs benedict in the buffet isn't very good.

What about the MDR? Eggs benedict is my vacation splurge! Not something I eat on a regular basis at home. I'd love to have it on my cruise! :D Somebody tell me it's good in the MDR, please!! LOL

Go to main dining room for the eggs benedict. I alway ask for the hollandaise on the side. Way better that way, they have to make it fresh. Try the other way and you will see why I do it this way.:)

They are served in the dining room, at least I've never seen them on a buffet and we cruise 2-3 times a year. I like a solid egg yolk in Eggs Benedict and this is how they've been served for me on CCL. The sauce is sometimes dry but you can request more sauce on the side.

Go to main dining room for the eggs benedict. I alway ask for the hollandaise on the side. Way better that way, they have to make it fresh. Try the other way and you will see why I do it this way.:)

I get what your saying, I'll try this on our next CCL cruise.

Why didn't I think of that? Probably "hangover city":D

For those of us that like the yolks runny-

ask for the Hollandaise on the side.

Consider this a DONE deal with me. I look forward to something more edible!

Depends on if you like real Hollandise sauce. Unfortunatley they won't make the real stuff so you are stuck with fake Hollandise, which makes the Eggs Benedict pretty lame IMO.

No doubt --- but hey, it beats their omelets!! Perhaps I should make my own! Heck, on the Dream in December Cheryl and I got off in St. Thomas with TWO objectives... one of them was to find some horseradish, as what they brought me for my prime rib (yes, I know it's not really PRIME!) had no kick to it. I swaggered into the MDR the next evening we were there with a cold jar of HOT HORSERADISH in hand... I wonder how many times that has happened! In the past, most every time they have brought out their horseradish, it has been strong enough to give you that desired scalp tingle/burn sensation (usually followed by SWEAT after a period of time) ;)

Its been added to our packing list for our Dream cruise in two weeks... just in case :D. I will ask for a small sample of it on the first evening, so I will know if I need to bring my own "private stock" on the first "cruise elegant" evening, when the Prime Rib appears!

Tom

We've never seen eggs benedict on the buffet and get them in the MDR. We ask for one instead of the whole order of two. We ask for them to be fresh - not under the heat lamp and ask for hollandaise sauce on the side too.

Whenever we get eggs in the MDR or buffet we ask for whole eggs and not the ready to go kind for omeletes and scrambled eggs.

I've had eggs benedict in the dining room and . . . on my Dream cruise last month, on the buffet. Unfortunately . . . they were horrible. Eggs were hard and the sauce was no existant . . . looked like it had been put on and then put in a microwave. As much as I love eggs benedict . . . don't think I'll ever have them on one of my Carvival cruises again . . . :(

I agree, the ones on the dream buffet were bad, dry, little sauce and tough. I had a hard time cutting them.

The secret to perfect Eggs Benedict, in the dining room is to order them with the sauce on the side-it's one of my favorites, but not after sitting under heating lamps, waiting to be picked up-Bon Appetite.............

The secret to perfect Eggs Benedict, in the dining room is to order them with the sauce on the side-it's one of my favorites, but not after sitting under heating lamps, waiting to be picked up-Bon Appetite.............

I've never eaten eggs benedict in my 50+yrs of life! BUT in 2 weeks on the Triumph I will be sure to order some with sauce on the side! DH should order them without the special request :D so I can compare the difference! ;)

Trudy

never thought to ask for extra sauce on side, great idea

When we were on the Legend a couple of years ago the eggs benedict were AWESOME!!! .

i enjoyed them too, best i've had aboard any ship

I have to agree with most of the poster's on this subject CCL E B are over done and down right dry, the exact opposite of what their sawpost to be, but on the other hand the slice of Canadian bacon you get on CCL is 4 times thicker than NCL. Great idea to order everything in sides as the english muffin I can do with out. When I'm on NCL if the ship has a good hash I order the hash with poached eggs on the top and the Hollandaise souse on the side ou la la, which is the way I go on NCL because you can read thru the slice of cand. bacon. Happy cruising Bob.

ha ha i thought the same thing & there was salmon in the scrambled eggs:eek:the one i grabbed by mistake.

i've yet to find really good lox for my bagel on any ships' buffet. Never ordered it in Carnival's MDR, wondering if same quality?

THANKS A LOT all of you...!!! :mad::o After seeing those pictures, I had a HUUUGE craving for Eggs Benedict, just got back from Big Boy's, who, like Carnival, makes them, they are not the greatest, but they satisfied the craving... (pats belly)

They are served in the dining room, at least I've never seen them on a buffet and we cruise 2-3 times a year. I like a solid egg yolk in Eggs Benedict and this is how they've been served for me on CCL. The sauce is sometimes dry but you can request more sauce on the side.

You can have all of mine--Love runny eggs.

Consider this a DONE deal with me. I look forward to something more edible!

..........I swaggered into the MDR the next evening we were there with a cold jar of HOT HORSERADISH in hand... I wonder how many times that has happened! In the past, most every time they have brought out their horseradish, it has been strong enough to give you that desired scalp tingle/burn sensation (usually followed by SWEAT after a period of time) ;)

Tom

Make you own......peel and grate the root. (OK, you can use a food precessor) Add just enough white vinegar to have it stay together. Store in fridge.

ha ha i thought the same thing & there was salmon in the scrambled eggs:eek:the one i grabbed by mistake.

i've yet to find really good lox for my bagel on any ships' buffet. Never ordered it in Carnival's MDR, wondering if same quality?

They actually had LEO on board? It's very hard to get the chefs to make up lox, eggs and onions. Although one year I did teach a Lido Omelette chef how to make it.:D

The lox quality goes up and down. We get ours at Costco. Sometimes it's very slimy. I think it depends on the time of year, sometimes it gets nasty. We usually are buying 15-20lbs at a time. Yep, it's for the Congregation.

I got them every morning on the Valor in the MDR...they were sitting under the heat light for a little too long, and the eggs were overcooked almost every day. The last night some lady was sitting with us, and they recognized her and treated her like royalty...she got a fresh one made just for her, and it looked awesome!! This is one of my fav bfast foods, and I have had much better making it myself at home than what they serve. (but I did still eat them!)

On the Paradise, I took a galley tour during breakfast. They make the eggs in batches.

Here are 2 pictures of the EB for the MDR:

eggs2.jpg[/img]

eggs1.jpg[/img]

...They actually had LEO on board? It's very hard to get the chefs to make up lox, eggs and onions. Although one year I did teach a Lido Omelette chef how to make it.:D

The lox quality goes up and down. We get ours at Costco. Sometimes it's very slimy. I think it depends on the time of year, sometimes it gets nasty. We usually are buying 15-20lbs at a time. Yep, it's for the Congregation.

never knew that re lox, i thought perhaps it was different type on the cruise lines (lesser grade?) not smoked as heavily as i like...always seems a bit too thick cut?

Archived