Lost All our bags...Advice

ken987

I don't understand the airline saying no rollerbags, all the effort to compact packing to carry on and THEN they say, sorry no rollerbags. Not right. :eek:

People bring so much on the plane, especially in the winter with all of the coats. I've never experienced the "no rollerbags" at the beginning of the boarding process, but I have heard the announcement about half way through. "All overhead compartments are full, you'll have to check your rollerbag."

I'm glad I'm flying INTO Ft. Lauderdale and not out (lol). Flying SWA so "bags fly free." Now coming home from Rome might be a different matter on AAL but at least I have clothes at home and what will be in the suitcases won't be worth much after a month cruising.

Tucker in Texas

Could you not get home on Continental?

No rollerbags in the cabin happens a lot folks if you are on the 50 pax commuter jets so frequently used these days...the rollerbags simply do not fit in the overhead. When they get gate checked and given back at the gate on arrival before connecting flights its not a big deal.

On my very first cruise, RCCL lost my luggage. I went through the whole 7 night cruise without seeing it again. I definitely agree with the previous poster. Start shopping now!

If a cruise line lost my bags I would never sail with them again. The same applies to an airline

I really hope the OP got their bags, I couldn't imagine anything worse.

Could you not get home on Continental?

No rollerbags in the cabin happens a lot folks if you are on the 50 pax commuter jets so frequently used these days...the rollerbags simply do not fit in the overhead. When they get gate checked and given back at the gate on arrival before connecting flights its not a big deal.

In the UK we have low cost no frills airlines who charge for checked bags. I've been in a situation where the plane has been full and they decided at the gate to check the roller bags. As they only allow one carry on this means that technically they could be taking away very personal items. If one has packed a handbag that can be removed then it's not a problem. I have a roller bag that when the handle is collapsed looks like a handbag! So far I've managed on each occasion to bring the bag on board with me. Helps to be at the front of the queue too when seating isn't assigned.

In the UK we have low cost no frills airlines who charge for checked bags. I've been in a situation where the plane has been full and they decided at the gate to check the roller bags. As they only allow one carry on this means that technically they could be taking away very personal items. If one has packed a handbag that can be removed then it's not a problem. I have a roller bag that when the handle is collapsed looks like a handbag! So far I've managed on each occasion to bring the bag on board with me. Helps to be at the front of the queue too when seating isn't assigned.

I´ve been on many flights where they checked the roller bags, it´s usually the shorter flights in smaller planes but it also happened last year on a flight from FRA to YVR. The flight was booked completely, actually overbooked and they where looking for 15 people to change to another flight. I managed to get my roller bag through by collapsing the handle and making it an over the shoulder bag and kinda hiding it behind my back.

Anyway I usually have a roller bag but it´s also always packed in a way to easily get a smaller bag with my personal and valuabel items out quickly if needed. Sure I wouldn´t want my computer, travel documents etc. being checked.

I´ve been on many flights where they checked the roller bags, it´s usually the shorter flights in smaller planes but it also happened last year on a flight from FRA to YVR. The flight was booked completely, actually overbooked and they where looking for 15 people to change to another flight. I managed to get my roller bag through by collapsing the handle and making it an over the shoulder bag and kinda hiding it behind my back.

Anyway I usually have a roller bag but it´s also always packed in a way to easily get a smaller bag with my personal and valuabel items out quickly if needed. Sure I wouldn´t want my computer, travel documents etc. being checked.

Depends a lot on the plane. Those small regional jets have tiny overhead compartments. On those flights, my computer bag has to be gate-checked.

On our recent cruise, a couple we met got only 1 of their 3 bags -- and all of HER clothes were in one of the lost bags. The bags were lost somewhere between the dockside porter and the ship, and were never located during the 7 days.

I have tried to convince my husband that cross-packing is the smartest thing to do, but he has been resistant for some reason! Maybe next trip I will remind him of Ann and her lost luggage!:rolleyes:

On our recent cruise, a couple we met got only 1 of their 3 bags -- and all of HER clothes were in one of the lost bags. The bags were lost somewhere between the dockside porter and the ship, and were never located during the 7 days.

I have tried to convince my husband that cross-packing is the smartest thing to do, but he has been resistant for some reason! Maybe next trip I will remind him of Ann and her lost luggage!:rolleyes:

Where did you sail out of?

If a cruise line lost my bags I would never sail with them again. .

I noticed on my cruise that LOTS of bags and suitcases were never actually delivered to the cabins, at 11 pm there were several bags still standing in the space were the elevators were. We picked ours up and carried them ourselves to our cabin.

It would have been very easy for a dishonest person to take a pick and chose any bag he would have wanted:(

I wonder if its common with luggage theft on cruiseships? Have anyone here got their bags stolen ON the ship?

A few items can go a long way in a pinch:

On one of our cruises I did something uncharacteristic for me. At one of the receptions I found myself across from a very well-dressed woman. I couldn't resist saying to her "Pardon me, but I hope you don't mine my saying this. You are one of the best dressed women on this ship." She laughed and told me that all of her and her husbands luggage had been lost and that she was making due with last minute items. She had purchased a solid black one-piece bathing suit, bought a black skirt and was loaned a man's coat from the tux store. She thanked me for the compliment. She also said that she had been very worried when the bags were lost but that the crew had helped them by lending them items to wear. My wife and I had a nice chat with she and her husband who was also well-dressed. We saw them at several functions and they always looked great even though their bags never appeared.

A few items can go a long way in a pinch:

On one of our cruises I did something uncharacteristic for me. At one of the receptions I found myself across from a very well-dressed woman. I couldn't resist saying to her "Pardon me, but I hope you don't mine my saying this. You are one of the best dressed women on this ship." She laughed and told me that all of her and her husbands luggage had been lost and that she was making due with last minute items. She had purchased a solid black one-piece bathing suit, bought a black skirt and was loaned a man's coat from the tux store. She thanked me for the compliment. She also said that she had been very worried when the bags were lost but that the crew had helped them by lending them items to wear. My wife and I had a nice chat with she and her husband who was also well-dressed. We saw them at several functions and they always looked great even though their bags never appeared.

I heard that they keep a wardrobe room of clothes that people have left on the ship. A lady on formal night was very underdressed and apologized saying that the dress she had on was the only one in the room that fit (she was large).

I work in a thrift shop for our church and have several times bought things (we sell really cheap--formals are $8, everything else around $4) to take on a cruise and then left them along with other items that I am just plain sick of because I didn't want to schlep them home. I either pack clothes in a nylon duffle that will pack easy empty going or, once, bought a suitcase for $2 at the shop and left the suitcase along with discarded clothes. Down here in south Texas, I have little use for a heavy jacket, heavy sweater, woolen scarf, etc.

On our second cruise back in the early 80's our garment bag that was given to the porter at the dock (along with a tip), never made it to our cabin. It had all our dress clothes in it (except one red satin pants suit I had packed in a suitcase) and this was back when you dressed at a minimum of church clothes every night for dinner. The cruise line showed little interest in locating it. We feel it was on the ship all the time because it turned up not only in our color section when we disembarked, it was next to our suitcases. The garment bag was missing the ship's luggage tag but had our name on it in two other places. I so wanted to pin a sign on the back of husband formal night saying "I'm not tacky, the ship lost my luggage" but husband wouldn't go for it. He ended up borrowing a sports jacket. My two young sons were thrilled going to formal night dinner in a polo shirt and khakies instead of their suit. I wore that red satin pants suit every night and promptly trashed it when I got home. I never wanted to see it again.

So, from then on, I carry one set of formal clothes in a carry-on along with two days worth of day-time clothes, bathing suit, jammies, walking shoes, and cross pack by outfits so if one suitcase shows up and the other doesn't, I can make it the whole week by mixing and matching.

Tucker in Texas

Its valentines day, go naked!! j/k..lol I,ve already read another post state to bring a back pack and have clothes in it.. But besides possible lost luggage, we bring it to change into our bathing suits while waiting for our luggage to arrive at our cabin. I have waited right until dinner time for luggage to arrive, so its always best to have a change of clothes ready..

Every time our bags have been "delayed" they all were delayed. We do cross pack but for us it hasn't mattered. Out of 12 cruises at least 4 times this has happened to us. the good news is we always flew the day before and the bags always came in the next day ( day of the cruise.) Since this does cause angst we pack full carryons with things we can't do without - several pairs of underware, swimsuits (I could never find one quickly!) a pair of dress shoes and sandels, usually 2 sets of dress clothes. If this ever happens to one of you here is my advice. Go to the airport yourself and get your bags!!!! Do not depend on the airlines to send them to the ship or to your hotel. Yes it has made us rent a car or take taxis back to the airport but we found our bags this way sitting in baggage claim. Tell them you are leaving on a cruise when you file a claim - I think this helps them look a little harder. We just barely made a cruise once waiting for a plane to land with our bags, grabbing them and running for a taxi. Not a nice way to start a trip. Last November again it happened. We made a list of essentials to buy at the mall the next morning (shorts, tops and a formal dress for me), rented a car and had a plan. I called back to baggage claim just before going to bed - the bags had arrived! Rushed back to the airport that night to get them and all was well again.

A few years ago our friends were going on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale but flew down 4 days early to stay at a family condo they had. When they got off the plane, none of their luggage was there - they checked for 3 days and finally went out and bought everything they would need including suitcases.

When they got on the ship, all their old luggage showed up in their room - seems they had put the cruise ship tags on their bags and the bags were pulled right off the plane and put aside to go to the cruise ship - not sure if they still do this but because of this I would never put my cruise tags on until we pick up luggage at the airport.

Hope the same happened to OP and they receive their luggage on the ship.:)

This appears to be something more common than I would have expected. It's one thing to read stories that begin....a friend of mine.... but to actually read personal stories here is quite alarming. Using my carryon on the plane for items of clothing has now become a necessity.

Archived