Mercury arrived late to Baltimore today

BonnieVA

Does anyone know why the Mercury arrived 4 hours late to Baltimore today? I imagine it was because of poor conditions (SNOW!) at the port. But does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Hi,

This is just a guess on my part, but I believe the offshore winds recently were close to hurricane force. :eek: Hopefully, someone on the ship will let us know.

Anne

I just read this on our local WJZTV 13 news website: Authorities say six people have been sickened by carbon monoxide aboard a cruise ship docked in Baltimore.

Baltimore fire department spokesman Chief Kevin Cartwright says crews are on the scene to treat the victims. A hazmat team is trying to determine where the leak is coming from.

Cartwright didn't know how ill the victims are or whether they were crew members or passengers. It's also unclear how many people were on the ship.

The incident occurred aboard the Celebrity Mercury cruise ship.

I don't know if it has anything to do with being late, but just thought I'd post it.

Someone posted on their roll call that the Captain announced yesterday that they expected to be about four hours late arriving in Baltimore because of the rough sea conditions. Interesting about the carbon monoxide. Can't be to careful about that.

We just returned home to Towson from the Mercury 12 day cruise. We docked late, we were told, because of the strong winds encountered as we returned to Baltimore. The winds were very strong,outside decks were closed etc. and the ship rocked a good bit for about 36 hours. The cruise was a very good one, the ship is in good shape, the crew wonderful, and is booking up for next year.

B.

We just returned home to Towson from the Mercury 12 day cruise. We docked late' date=' we were told, because of the strong winds encountered as we returned to Baltimore. The winds were very strong,outside decks were closed etc. and the ship rocked a good bit for about 36 hours. The cruise was a very good one, the ship is in good shape, the crew wonderful, and is booking up for next year.B.[/quote']

Welcome home. ;)

We just returned home to Towson from the Mercury 12 day cruise. We docked late' date=' we were told, because of the strong winds encountered as we returned to Baltimore. The winds were very strong,outside decks were closed etc. and the ship rocked a good bit for about 36 hours. The cruise was a very good one, the ship is in good shape, the crew wonderful, and is booking up for next year.

B.[/quote']

Do you know anything about the carbon monoxide thing that happened? Did the pax know anything was going on?

Please keep us posted (anyone who hears news on this story). I have been trying to get a hold of someone on the ship today but haven't been able to & now I'm worried. DH thinks that the crew affected are probably people working in the engine area.

Do you know anything about the carbon monoxide thing that happened? Did the pax know anything was going on?

Please keep us posted (anyone who hears news on this story). I have been trying to get a hold of someone on the ship today but haven't been able to & now I'm worried. DH thinks that the crew affected are probably people working in the engine area.

We were on that cruise and knew nothing of that until I just read it here. As was said, it did get pretty rough Fri. night, and captain said because of that he had to slow down and we lost time. It was very windy and rough seas. Other than that it was a great cruise with a wonderful crew. Sorry to hear about those who got ill.

Someone else posted this. I haven't seen the local news recently. Sounds like your DH may be correct.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1142892

I just saw this on my local news and figured it was hype over noro or something until they said what it actually was. how awful! I hope everyone affected is okay, carbon monoxide poisoning is so serious. :(

As it turned out it was not so awful after all. The city fire department stated that their instruments showed no toxic CO levels anywhere on the ship. The six crew members were checked out at a hospital and were found NOT to be suffering from CO poisoning. They were released and returned for duty on Mercury.

That's all folks!

Old Sea Legs

As it turned out it was not so awful after all. The city fire department stated that their instruments showed no toxic CO levels anywhere on the ship. The six crew members were checked out at a hospital and were found NOT to be suffering from CO poisoning. They were released and returned for duty on Mercury.

That's all folks!

Old Sea Legs

Thanks for the update and certainly glad to hear everyone is ok:)

We were on Galaxy several years back and she was several hours late getting back into port in Baltimore. It was the fault of the strong head winds as she was coming up the Chesapeake.

By chance, that wasn't November 2003, was it? As a result of those winds and consequent late arrival, the tide was "wrong" and docking was held up - so we missed flights home, etc.

A few ships have been late today due to high winds. Eurodam arrived late into FLL, a Disney ship will be a day late arriving back.

My Mother was on the Eurodam. Late arrival in FLL had nothing to do with winds -- they were dragging their anchor! She said they went in circles about 3 kph for hours! :(

They came back to Baltimore because they realized the ship just wasn't the same without me. When I was onboard they wasted waaaaay less food, especially the stir-fry station at the buffet. Ditto for the french bread, butter, and fries. The lady at the omelette station probably missed my "I wanna marry you" face every time she did a perfect set of over-easy eggs.

They offered, I came aboard and they're paying me well for being such a welcome addition.

When I was onboard they wasted waaaaay less food, especially the stir-fry station at the buffet.

Do you remember the name of the man at the stir fry station? Did you happen to be served by a young Indian man named Paul Daniel? He was so sweet - as are most of the crew on the Mercury. This is his first contract on a cruise line & we had a couple good conversations.

We were on the Mercury cruise with the late arrival.

We had rough seas for around 36 hours as mentioned by a previous poster from our cruise. We had rough seas from Friday night to Sunday morning. We had winds up to 45 knots, basically sustained 35 knots, and 13-19 foot seas, according to the Captain during the worse of the storm. It eventually died down to winds of 25 knots and seas of 9-10 feet before returning to normal seas by Sunday morning. It felt like I was on a surf board that early Saturday morning when on the treadmill. I only lasted 20-some minutes on the treadmill as I held on for dear life. From the treadmills, at one point, we watched as spray crashed above the 11th deck bow. That was a sight and quite a ride from the treadmill "surfboard"!

Due to the late arrival in Baltimore, we were able to use the fitness center that morning. Also, they served us both breakfast and lunch (Palm Springs Cafe buffet only for lunch), and we had another opportunity for the Indian food in the Palm Springs Cafe. We had the Indian food nearly everyday, plus the delicious Tandoori Chicken, Ango-Indian Soup (started with an M, in MDR at lunch) and Indian-style Tilapia, in the dining room. You're right, JEDIKNIGHT, the Indian food was fantastic and on par (or above) with our local Indian restaurant.

Kathy

We were on Mercury for the 1 Feb departure out of Balt. On the way back, seas were 16 to 18 feet with 45 knot winds. Captain slowed to 13 knots. We had a forward balcony on deck 10 and sea spray (not waves) was as high as our balcony. It was a rough 36 hours, until we hit the Bay where it calmed down.

Ken S

Hi Bonnie, yes I remember the fellow you are talking about.

Just a kind mannered guy. At times I felt bad for him because I guess 'stir fry' isn't an everyday dish for most of us, so sometimes pax were being rude to him because of their own lack of knowledge as to what to add to their dish. But he'd keep his cool and keep on doing his thing.

We were on Mercury for the 1 Feb departure out of Balt. On the way back, seas were 16 to 18 feet with 45 knot winds. Captain slowed to 13 knots. We had a forward balcony on deck 10 and sea spray (not waves) was as high as our balcony. It was a rough 36 hours, until we hit the Bay where it calmed down.

Ken S

I was on the cruise that ENDED Feb 1 ... we had very rough seas both going south & heading home. Captain reported seas of over 20' on the way north. Why couldn't WE have gotten back late???? :(:(:( Not fair! I guess they figured there were no boarding pax on your cruise so there was no rush.

Hi Bonnie, yes I remember the fellow you are talking about.

Just a kind mannered guy. At times I felt bad for him because I guess 'stir fry' isn't an everyday dish for most of us, so sometimes pax were being rude to him because of their own lack of knowledge as to what to add to their dish. But he'd keep his cool and keep on doing his thing.

Why are some people like that (rude)? I've never done stir fry either but it was pretty funny when I was standing there trying to figure out what to add to my dish ... we (Paul Daniel & I) were both having FUN! I think every aspect of a cruise should be fun ... even just ordering a new & different dish at the buffet! But I did notice several rude or unfriendly pax on that cruise ... why not just say "thank you" after the server hands you your plate?!?!

Archived