?? Travelin with a Tracheostomy ??

NEcruisers????

I have several questions for those who have tracheostomy's and travel. How do you travel with your humidifier for your tracheostomy? I know that I will have to carry-on, and even with a physician note it may be a huge problem at security. Help, if you can!

Have you contacted the Special Needs Department of the curise line to inquire of they could provide a humdifer in the cabin ? This may not be something they do but it's worth a call to eliminate having to carry one with you ?

is your humidifier small like a CPAP type machine or are you using a large volume nebulizer with large bore corrugated tubing? I know that people travel with cpap's all the time --no problems. My bigger concern would be clean sterile water--available for the duration of the cruise. IF you are flying you would need to purchase at the port city or possibly have a case of water delivered to the ship.

Have you tried using other types of humidifiers that attach to your trach? I know they are normally only used for daytime or thinner secretions BUT would it work for a short term vacation?

I am a respiratory therapist with home health care experience so just trying to throw out some ideas.

Here are some HME options (heat moisture exchangers)

A lot of my patients used the portex featured below

http://www.tracheostomy.com/faq/equipment/hme.htm

http://www.medsupplyco.com/products/ListProducts.cfm/CategoryID/148

Most cruise lines can / will provide distilled water. Contact the special needs department of your cruise line as early as possible. You may even want to contact special needs for a cruise line you are considering before booking and pose your questions to them.

is your humidifier small like a CPAP type machine or are you using a large volume nebulizer with large bore corrugated tubing? I know that people travel with cpap's all the time --no problems. My bigger concern would be clean sterile water--available for the duration of the cruise. IF you are flying you would need to purchase at the port city or possibly have a case of water delivered to the ship.

Have you tried using other types of humidifiers that attach to your trach? I know they are normally only used for daytime or thinner secretions BUT would it work for a short term vacation?

I am a respiratory therapist with home health care experience so just trying to throw out some ideas.

Here are some HME options (heat moisture exchangers)

A lot of my patients used the portex featured below

http://www.tracheostomy.com/faq/equipment/hme.htm

http://www.medsupplyco.com/products/ListProducts.cfm/CategoryID/148

Thanks ALise!

We currently utilize the Thermovent T for daytime use only, and use a large bore tube with the humidified at night to thin secretions. She does not require alot of suctioning, currently and we could possibly get by with the thermovents for the week to 10 days we are planning to be on vacation. Our humidifier does fit into a large suitcase, the unit is about 8x15x25 inches, and I would bring enough sterile water with me for the voyage. I was just wondering if there was a smaller unit available.

Lynne

Thanks ALise!

We currently utilize the Thermovent T for daytime use only, and use a large bore tube with the humidified at night to thin secretions. She does not require alot of suctioning, currently and we could possibly get by with the thermovents for the week to 10 days we are planning to be on vacation. Our humidifier does fit into a large suitcase, the unit is about 8x15x25 inches, and I would bring enough sterile water with me for the voyage. I was just wondering if there was a smaller unit available.

Lynne

There might be a "heavier duty" version that could be used for overnight vs the thermovent with a different material (more water holding). Never really dealt with anyone leaving home for overnight.

I really doubt there is anything much smaller--I don't think I have even seen room humidifiers that are much smaller (like the ones we use for our kids in their rooms) BUT that might be an option to just have one next to the bed to add some addtl. moisture to the air.

• 5 months later...

My DW has had a trach for nine years and we cruise three or four times a year. We live in a very humid area of the country so she stopped using a humidifier less than a year after getting the trach and uses a thermovent T all the time except while actually on her ventilator. When on the vent she does fine with an HME except under extremely dry conditions. Our first cruise after she got the trach was from close by Galveston so we drove to the port with our home humidifier. Since then we have made many trips using just the thermovent T and HME on her ventilator circuit.

Archived