walkie talkies - PMR 446 band

shoreham01

We are going on the Grand in September and are wondering if anyone has used these walkie talkies onboard, and if they can be used onboard do they work between decks.
About 5 - 6 years ago, I saw quite a few people using walkie-talkies. I've seen only one person in the past three years out of all of my cruises use a walkie-talkie.

Whether or not it works will depend on where you are on the ship and where the other person is. Ships have a lot of steel in them which blocks the signal so you might have spotty reception.

We use them all the time on cruises because my wife and I often attend different activities and lectures. Reception is based on your location and the power of your radio. I'd suggest you get the most powerful one that is sold. They do work fine for the most part though.

I find them to be a bit iffy on board. They're fine on open decks and ashore, but I find the steel on the ship can cut down reception.

I also use a surveillance headset (the clear coiled tube earpiece and small lapel mic) to both ensure that I can hear clearly AND not disturb others. :)

Thank you for the information. As there are three of us, and possibly going to different areas of the ship we thought it would be a good idea. I agree about the disturbance but it would just be a where are you call so should be acceptable. Will have a think about it.

DP & I are taking my (67 yo first time cruiser) Mom with us on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise. We have decided that walkie talkies will be a smart idea on this trip. We were wondering what brand would be best for maximum reception.

Also, since there will be 4 of us traveling (my sister will join also), do we have to get a full set of two walkie talkies each? I'm not sure how that works. I know they have some pretty fancy ones now but I haven't used walkie talkies since I was a little girl. :p Any help would be appreciated!

Angel :)

DP & I are taking my (67 yo first time cruiser) Mom with us on our upcoming Emerald Princess cruise. We have decided that walkie talkies will be a smart idea on this trip. We were wondering what brand would be best for maximum reception.

Also, since there will be 4 of us traveling (my sister will join also), do we have to get a full set of two walkie talkies each? I'm not sure how that works. I know they have some pretty fancy ones now but I haven't used walkie talkies since I was a little girl. :p Any help would be appreciated!

Angel :)

Since all the FRS & GMRS have the same limited power set by the FCC it really doesn't make to much difference using that as a basis of choosing a radio. Try Googleing some reviews which you give you a more realistic comparison. The bs they print on the packages doesn't mean a thing.

I brought Cobra CXT85's and they worked.

The first day on ship several other families were

on the same channel....think I sent somebody

to the wrong place...thought it was my wife.

Also, the crew uses the hand held CBs for mooring and

all day long when they are shuttling passengers to shore

with the launches.

After the first day we put them in our luggage and

forgot about them.

Maybe handy on shore though.

:cool::cool::cool:

Archived