Carnivals extended stay to Denali & Mt Mckinley

Mailgirl

I will be going to Alaska in August and would like to know if anyone has extended their stay with Carnival and has taken the 3 night pre-cruise train ride to Denali National park and Mt Mckinley.

Hi!

We have never traveled with Carnival, but spent 3 days in the same area on a Celebrity cruisetour in August '03. Just a few suggestions!

1) Do not opt for the Natural History Tour in Denali if you want to see wildlife. It does not venture far enough into the park and we saw nothing (scenic but no animals). Take the longer Tundra Wilderness Tour. Those in our group who took it saw moose, bears, mountain goats, etc.

2) If at all possible, take the Mt. McKinley flightseeing (lots of info on this board). We took the over the summit flight and it was something I will never forget!

3) Talkeetna is a cute little town (the model for the town in "Northern Exposure"). Spend a little time walking it (it is tiny!), get a snack, and just relax and enjoy.

4) Cabin Night Dinner - Touristy but we enjoyed it. It is something you only do once, but the food was pretty good. If given the choice of the longer tour in Denali or the dinner (since you might not be back in time to do both), take the tour!

Enjoy Alaska!

I wonder if Carnival is using Princess or HAL's tours/hotels?

In most cases, neither - they go their own way. They have 3 or 4 places they use in Denali. Despite HAL's unofficial motto, "We Own Alaska" (ask any employee), they don't...

My opinion only- the tour is a VERY costly option considering it is very short on time with most of it in transit in 3 days. You can do much better with a rental car and at least you can be on your own schedule, you need to allow at least 4 days for independent travel and it will probably run you half the cost of a tour add on.

Archived