Update - Water Pitchers (jugs) being withdrawn from rooms

uktog

DH and I are in our early 40's and drink LOTS of water. I frown on bottled not only because some of it has more chemicals and bacteria than the tap but it creates lots of waste. With that said, they should provide you with a means to fill a carafe in your stateroom. If I get on and there is not one, I will go all the way up the food chain of customer service till I get one. I don’t ask for a lot but the buck stops at water rationing…

As for the person who thought this was an effort to make you buy bottled water I not only agree, I know this is most likely true. I have relative that consults with large companies how to do things like this to save or generate revenue - it is very "real". One fast food chain found a way to cut napkins in half and fold them so they looked “normal” saved big. Also this has happened where hotels saying they are “green” don’t replace towels unless you ask…but at least if you asked they will do it.

Bottled water at $2 a shot is very lucrative…times how many passengers per year times how many ships?

And they said this is to save the enviroment? Ever seen the movie "Tapped"? It is a little over the top but has some facts...

we wanted to trade all our sodas, beer and liquor for water. Then we didn't do Celebrity for two years. We cruise about 4 times a year. I am hoping this time they will give us bottled water--in lieu of all the alcohol. We cruise CP--water doesn't seem to be a bit thing there, right?

Sodas, beer and liquor are not free. How could you trade that for bottled water? Am I missing something?

DH and I are in our early 40's and drink LOTS of water......If I get on and there is not one, I will go all the way up the food chain of customer service till I get one. I don’t ask for a lot but the buck stops at water rationing…

You have nothing to fear - the faucet on the sink is not being removed, so you will have access to as much water as you require. There is no water rationing being done. Besides, how will a pitcher help you when you are out of your room? Or do you carry the pitcher around with you while on the ship?

Seems like people are more upset because it's a change from their normal routine, than the minor physical impact of the change. Amazing what some people get all bent out of shape about!

As for those who are convinced this is a conspiracy by Celebrity to suck more money out of out wallets by forcing poor innocent cruise victims to now have to buy bottled water, bring a bottle on board and refill it when it's empty. My wife and I do this when we hang out by the pool, go on excursions, etc. The water out of the faucet is free.

I have never been on Celebrity but I was wondering if they allow you to bring some bottled water on board. I know other lines allow it as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. Typically I bring an 8 pack of bottled water on the ship because I need it to take medication and I also need it to workout. The last cruise I went on the water was $5.50 for a large individual bottle.....I pay the prices for the liquor and wine...but for water I just bring my own and restock in port.....

The main thing about having a pitcher filled with ice water in each cabin is that it is a nice amenity, which doesn't cost the cruise line anything, that other mass market cruise lines don't have. Aside from being more formal and laid back, Celebrity has essentially eliminated everything that distinguished it from other mass market cruise lines a few years ago.

However, I think it is becoming increasingly apparent that Celebrity thinks it is more profitable to keep basic cruise rates low and do whatever is necessary to encourage passengers to spend as much money as possible during their cruise, than to charge a little more and provide amenities that other mass market cruise lines don't have. In my opinion, their rationale for eliminating water pitchers is probably similar to their decision to eliminate their bridge program.

The main thing about having a pitcher filled with ice water in each cabin is that it is a nice amenity, which doesn't cost the cruise line anything, that other mass market cruise lines don't have. Aside from being more formal and laid back, Celebrity has essentially eliminated everything that distinguished it from other mass market cruise lines a few years ago.

However, I think it is becoming increasingly apparent that Celebrity thinks it is more profitable to keep basic cruise rates low and do whatever is necessary to encourage passengers to spend as much money as possible during their cruise, than to charge a little more and provide amenities that other mass market cruise lines don't have. In my opinion, their rationale for eliminating water pitchers is probably similar to their decision to eliminate their bridge program.

Well said!!!!:)

NOW, I understand the meaning of your screen name. ;)

igot it ages ago and i do not play!!

iam new to celebrity but still realize they took away some extras..

but i like the fact they are adding more places to dine on the "M" class ships.

we wanted to trade all our sodas, beer and liquor for water. Then we didn't do Celebrity for two years. We cruise about 4 times a year. I am hoping this time they will give us bottled water--in lieu of all the alcohol. We cruise CP--water doesn't seem to be a bit thing there, right?

What is CP?

igot it ages ago and i do not play!!

iam new to celebrity but still realize they took away some extras..

but i like the fact they are adding more places to dine on the "M" class ships.

I am a boater, so I always think in those terms...Bridge being a place where navigation is performed. :D

I have never been on Celebrity but I was wondering if they allow you to bring some bottled water on board. I know other lines allow it as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. Typically I bring an 8 pack of bottled water on the ship because I need it to take medication and I also need it to workout. The last cruise I went on the water was $5.50 for a large individual bottle.....I pay the prices for the liquor and wine...but for water I just bring my own and restock in port.....

Yes, you can bring your own onboard

This is nuts. It is just a way to try and get people to buy bottled water which is actually quite a bit worse for the climate. The use of refillable pitchers filled with reverse osmosis water taken from the sea and ultimately returned to it is clearly the better enviornmental option. In March I asked my steward about the lack of the pitcher and he told me it was not good to drink and I should buy bottled water. Needless to say I did not do so. On the TA in December I brought a nalgene bottle and filled it my self upstairs. That is clearly not consistent with a high level of service, but rather with being nickled and dimed to death.

I completely agree with you! I loved the water pitchers on Celebrity, so much so that at one time, I inquired about purchasing one for home (I like to keep a pitcher of water on my nightstand). I was told it was not possible to purchase them.

Anyway, DH takes meds in the a.m. and before bed. I hate the thought of drinking out of the bathroom faucet so I guess now he is going to be forced to purchase bottled water.

I agree this is just another way for the cruiseline to jack up their revenue. How is keeping a water pitcher in the cabin impacting global issues? As someone else mentioned, plastic water bottles are far more injurious to the environment.

Jo-Ann

...I hate the thought of drinking out of the bathroom faucet so I guess now he is going to be forced to purchase bottled water...

I'm curious as to why you'd dislike the bathroom tap so much and consider that as being your choice a reason to be "forced" to drink bottled water? My understanding is that the water coming out of the tap in the bathroom is the same as the tap water that they put into the pitchers and also use to make ice out of.

I'm curious as to why you'd dislike the bathroom tap so much and consider that as being your choice a reason to be "forced" to drink bottled water? My understanding is that the water coming out of the tap in the bathroom is the same as the tap water that they put into the pitchers and also use to make ice out of.

I have never been on a Celebrity ship where the "cold" tap water was anything but tepid, & thus tasted disgusting to me. I always take water from the pitcher to rinse after brushing. Even without adding ice it's better than warm tap water.

On our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Constellation, the water pitcher and ice bucket were still there, and our steward kept them filled each day. I had no problem with the tap water, it tasted completely neutral and at least as good as Aquafina or Dasani - actually better.

We bought a 12-pack of Aquafina in San Diego before boarding, to use on our shore excursions. That way we paid less than half what it would cost to buy bottled water on the ship.

What they ought to do is provide ice buckets with a spigot at the bottom to decant the ice water. If they get rid of the water pitcher on the M-class ships, I will just pour the ice water out of the ice bucket, like I do in hotel rooms.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

Am I the only one that has always worried about the cleanliness of the water and ice jugs?

I can't say we never used the water or ice in the room, but I used it as little as possible -- and always wondered if the containers were cleaned on a regular basis...

So I'm glad to see them gone.

Am I the only one that has always worried about the cleanliness of the water and ice jugs?

I can't say we never used the water or ice in the room, but I used it as little as possible -- and always wondered if the containers were cleaned on a regular basis...

So I'm glad to see them gone.

Sometimes you just have to trust. If I worried about whether or not something was cleaned I would never step foot in a hotel room or cruise cabin. I was not worried about the pitcher just as I was not worried about the glasses, the shower, the sheets. You just have to trust or you could drive yourself crazy.

I have never been on a Celebrity ship where the "cold" tap water was anything but tepid, & thus tasted disgusting to me. I always take water from the pitcher to rinse after brushing. Even without adding ice it's better than warm tap water.

Certainly the water on Equinox Floor 11 was tepid/lukewarm all the time we were there last month and would not have been something we would have drank. We spoke with others at our table at dinner and they all had the same problem

Archived