Going to ports with copies of passports

Vianky

It's all about acceptable levels of risk. What do you fear more, being left in a foreign country with a copy of your passport? Or identity theft? Personally, I'm more inclined fear the whole foreign-country-lacking-proper-ID. But that's just me. Other people, obviously, see identity theft as a greater risk.

I do fear more being in a foreign country without proper ID. I feel that if I get left behind and have my passport with me then I will just fly to the next port and keep enyoing my vacation.

Also, lets say your passport gets lost/stolen, could you not just call and put a hold on it?

Would that not take care of the whole identity theft issue?

What do you do if your family of four all wants to go swimming at the same time? Leave passports on the beach? Carry passports in a water proof ziplock bag? Not swim at the same time?

I went on 4 cruises before I even HAD a passport, and the last one I left it on the ship everytime. Have one now and for my last cruise, but I didn't take it off ship. I ama worrier who is always back well before the ship leaves. Guess I never thought about not making it back.

Well what I had in mind was to buy this

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Pak-Multi-Purpose-Nylon-9-Inchx12-Inchx3-Inch/dp/B000OF3JLS/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3OHP9S95BH1HG&colid=19U0R8NO5F1XY

Its very small and you can swim with it. I had the same concern about my camera and everything else we carry on us so I think I might just put it all in this and just swim with it. Might just put things in ziplock bags to just in case.

I do fear more being in a foreign country without proper ID. I feel that if I get left behind and have my passport with me then I will just fly to the next port and keep enyoing my vacation.

This is my primary concern as well. We tend to rent a car in port, which puts us in a category with a higher probability of missing the ship due to unforeseen circumstances than others might be. Also, you usually need a passport along with a US drivers' license to drive in foreign countries.

If I miss the ship, I want to be able to head straight to the airport and fly on, either to meet the ship or just back home. I don't want to spend a day or two at the consulate waiting for a bureaucrat to set up a temporary passport.

Sorry, no dice without a social security number. LMAO indeed...

With your SSN, I could walk into a bank and open an account with your DL, just like with your passport. Sadly, you have not proven your point, fear-mongering websites notwithstanding.

You are missing the point......in order to open a bank account with your drivers license you need your SSN.......that is just one of the differences between a drivers license and passport;) Besides all the other reasons I already stated which is why a passport is valuable to a thief.....unlike a license.........

Thanks for answering for me. Those things are all small enough to fit in a pocket easily.

4 non-waterproof passports? Not so much.

LOL! We don't bring anything more then we have to......a beach bag for the towels, lotion, camera (usually a waterproof one for the beach and wrapped around my wrist)........they can have that stuff if they want......if they want the cash, cc, id......well they are going to have to remove dh's shorts:D That way we can all go in the water, use the restrooms, bar etc. without having to worry about anything important being stolen.......

Perhaps, but you still haven't addressed the issue of the extreme difficulty of modifying the photo on new US passports.

I also have doubts over whether a US account can be opened with a US passport and no social security number. It can be done with a foreign passport and proper visa documentation.

Upon further research, I'm right. Only non-residents can open an account with passports and no social security number and they need, in addition to the proper visa documentation, a Taxpayer ID number.

So what stops them from fleeing with your identity and living in another country:confused: It's still your identity..........

I can go to the UK right now with my passport and open up an account no problem..........

I have read comments and another question surfaced. I am a first time cruiser but I have been out of the US in mexico, Africa and europe; I always had my passport at hand. But what do you do with it while your snorkeling or something like that? Do you just leave it on the beach or in the boat.My wife and I are going to be the only one's there that we would trust what do we do???? :rolleyes:

I have read comments and another question surfaced. I am a first time cruiser but I have been out of the US in mexico, Africa and europe; I always had my passport at hand. But what do you do with it while your snorkeling or something like that? Do you just leave it on the beach or in the boat.My wife and I are going to be the only one's there that we would trust what do we do???? :rolleyes:

Im getting this http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Pak-Multi-Purpose-Nylon-9-Inchx12-Inchx3-Inch/dp/B000OF3JLS/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3OHP9S95BH1HG&colid=19U0R8NO5F1XY but its to put all of my things. Camera, wallet and passports. This one is small enough that you can wear it in the water snorkeling with no problem but they have even smaller ones you can wear around your waiste if its just for your passports

The ship says you need a picture ID, thats all you need to get back on the ship. I dont bring my passport because I will get back on the ship. Thats all I need it for.

. . .

It may interest you to learn that "the ship" does not act for foreign governments. Nor does it make policy or speak for any government. When you step onto foreign soil you are subject to their laws. The only form of photo id generally accepted of foreigners by governments is a passport. This is true in the US*. This is true in Egypt. This is true in Costa Rica. Etc.

I've been known to leave my passport aboard, albeit rarely, and I don't really care if you choose to do so or not. But I do think that you really need to think about the fact that you are visiting a foreign country and "things" do happen.

*(Although US citizens do seem to have a problem with passports. Went into a bank to cash travelers checks many years ago, somewhere in IA if I recall correctly. Gave them my passport and started to sign the checks, as I've done in numerous countries. Got strange looks, lots of hemming & hawing, checking with superiors, etc. Finally gave them my Ontario DL - problem solved!)

If I copy money can I buy stuff?:rolleyes: A copy of your passport is of no value. Take your passport. Yes it can get lost or stolen. Keep copies of your passports in the safe in your cabin and some at home. These help for replacement services. If your passport is lost or stolen contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Put your jewelry, credit cards and passports in the room safe. Take your S&S card, your driver's license, any excursion tickets, water, sunscreen, a camera, a hat and some cash. The only time I would dare take my passport ashore would be if I was on a non-Carnival excursion, way out on my own somewhere. If there's a chance you get separated from the ship, keep it. If you're on a Carnival excursion, you simply wouldn't need your passport in any situation that I can see.

I use this. It came with both a lanyard and a belt. There are numerous similar products. Whatever you choose to use get familiar with it in your bathtub or a sink. Put paper towel or toilet paper (something that shows water easily) in it and practice sealing the container and submersing it.

I use the "what if" equation..

1. What if I take a copy of my passport, or nothing but ID, on shore and miss the ship? I will have to go to the nearest consulate/embassy and likely spend at least a day in Mexico or wherever, maybe more depending how far I have to travel and arrange to get out of the country, likely missing the rest of the cruise, then having to fly home, and figure out how to get all my belongings back from the ship. For me not a big deal, but if you flew to the embarkation, would you have to go there first and get your stuff then fly home? Or pay Carnival to ship your stuff home? I dunno how that works.

2. What if I take my passport and miss the ship? I go to the nearest airport, or maybe even hire a cab or take a bus to the next port if you have a Mexican port and Belize in your itinerary.

3. What if I take my passport and it get's stolen? I finish the cruise and get a new passport when I get home.

For me, the least disirable of the "what if's?" is number 1.

This may be a solution for many of you who would like to carry their passport with them, but are afraid of loosing it.

I recently got a U.S. Passport Card (Valid for entry into U.S. via land or sea only) and my regular U.S. Passport.

I will keep my U.S. Passport on board in the safe and carry my U.S. Passport Card with me to Mexican ports. Some of you may choose to do the reverse. My logic is that if I miss the ship in Mexico, I'll be taking the bus back to U.S.A. (much more affordable than last minute air fare). The Passport Card is water proof (unlike the passport) so I can swim with it.

If you want more information on the U.S. Passport Card, visit: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

It all comes down to personal choices.......isn't it great we have them:D

I agree if you feel unsafe and you think there might be a chance you will miss the boat.........then take your passport with you........

It's not even mandatory to have a passport to sail on close looped sailings........I would venture to guess alot of people don't even have them to take to port with them........

Seriously.....who misses the boat?

The overwhelming majority are drunks that overstay at Carlos and Charlies, Senor frogs etc.

Sure things can happen on an excursion especially one that takes you somewhere far from the port. On such excursions we do take our passports.

This may be a solution for many of you who would like to carry their passport with them, but are afraid of loosing it.

I recently got a U.S. Passport Card (Valid for entry into U.S. via land or sea only) and my regular U.S. Passport.

I will keep my U.S. Passport on board in the safe and carry my U.S. Passport Card with me to Mexican ports. Some of you may choose to do the reverse. My logic is that if I miss the ship in Mexico, I'll be taking the bus back to U.S.A. (much more affordable than last minute air fare). The Passport Card is water proof (unlike the passport) so I can swim with it.

If you want more information on the U.S. Passport Card, visit: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I take it that you do not intend to visit foreign Caribbean islands?

So we have decided to get passports for my whole family for our first cruise in July.

The main reason is of fear (I'm pretty sure this will not happen but better safe then sorry) getting left behind. Or just for any reason that would make us fly back home from a port. Who knows.

Now what I don't understand is that some of you just take a copy of this to the ports with you. Is a copy enough if you get into one of those situations?

We always take our passports with us and have never worried about losing it. The one time I didn't have mine, I was politely seated under a tent until hubby went to the ship (he had his) to retrive it from the safe and there were many folks sitting there with me. Never again have I been without it. Usually they don't ask to see it but sometimes they do. Normally, your ship card is all you need to get back on board.

We always take our passports with us and have never worried about losing it. The one time I didn't have mine, I was politely seated under a tent until hubby went to the ship (he had his) to retrive it from the safe and there were many folks sitting there with me. Never again have I been without it. Usually they don't ask to see it but sometimes they do. Normally, your ship card is all you need to get back on board.

All that is need to get back on the ship is your S&S card and picture id.......which can be a drivers license OR passport.......

The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

Thank you kujobie for responding about validity for Caribbean islands.

To respond appropriately, you are right broberts, I'm just focusing on my next cruise: The Mexican Riviera aboard Carnival Splendor. However, given that it is valid for closed loop cruises, it might be a good idea to keep the passport card in the safe and take the passport to the port. This "good idea" is only for those who are extra concerned about having proper documentation and worry about loosing it. The rest of you can forget about this idea.

It is just a suggestion for those who feel secure with proper documentation and are concerned about loosing the proper documentation. I fall into that category because I always want to be prepared. This U.S. Passport card helps relieve some of my ridiculous "what if..." fears.

The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

Not if you have to fly, i.e. you miss the ship or have a family emergency at home. Don't ask me why this is. I think the passport card is a great idea and I don't understand why it can't be used to fly.

. . . it might be a good idea to keep the passport card in the safe and take the passport to the port. This "good idea" is only for those who are extra concerned about having proper documentation and worry about loosing it.. . .

If you have both a passport and card then I think this is the way to go. It solves the problem of re-entry in to US should something happen to the passport and allows one to fly home from a port in the event of missing the ship.

Seriously.....who misses the boat?

The overwhelming majority are drunks that overstay at Carlos and Charlies, Senor frogs etc.

Sure things can happen on an excursion especially one that takes you somewhere far from the port. On such excursions we do take our passports.

We generally rent a car and get far away from the port, so we're somewhat high-risk for missing the boat. We plan to be back more than hour before sailing, but you never know when you might get a flat, or a breakdown, or a traffic jam, etc.

Archived