Acropolis in September - how early?

Freckles_51

Having read lots of messages on this board I'm still not sure on the best way to get there, and although people say get there early....How early is early? The answer to that question may be the deciding factor as to how we get there ;)

Our ship arrives in Piraeus at 7am and these are the options we're looking at.....

If we walk to the Metro and go straight to the Acropolis, what time can we expect to be there?

Taking this route we would want to hire a guide at the gate. We're a bit iffy on this, after reading that some of the guides are not very good, also means a lot of walking when we factor in the walk from ship to metro and back. We figure the cost would be about 45E p.p., allowing 30E p.p. for the guide. Is that enough?

If we go with Athens Walking Tours (3 hour tour of Athens and Acropolis), it appears that we would arrive at Acropolis around 10:30am. Will it be crowded by then?

This tour includes a 2-hour guided tour of Acropolis. We still need to make our way to the tour starting point, Syntagma metro station, either by walking/metro, or by taxi. They will arrange to pick us up at the port and take us back at a cost of 35 Euro each way. Tour cost is 34E plus 12E ticket plus 1E metro ride, so cost could be 82E p.p. factoring in the pickup.

If we go with NCL ship tour, it appears that it leaves the port at 7:45am, supposedly goes straight to Acropolis, includes 2 hour guided tour then a ride around the city. Cost is $87 for 3.5 hours.

And then there's a private taxi........ seemingly highly recommended but much more costly than other options.

What to do? What to do? :confused: :eek: :confused:

I also will be in Athens in September. According to my research, the Acropolis opens at 8am. Having been there previously around mid-morning (very crowded, even in November :eek:), I definitely plan to be there at or near the time it opens.

You might also consider taking a cab to the Acropolis rather than the metro. At about 20 euro total for the trip, I would consider it money well spent to get there early (and to save my stamina for walking the rest of a day in what is definitely a walking city....).

As to the guide at the Acropolis, really it's an individual thing. I understand the going rate is somewhere from 75-100 euro (have heard many reports and the figures vary). If you can split the cost among a small group it is not much. However, if it's just for one or two people, it can be pricey. Of all the spots in Athens, however, if you don't know your Greek history and haven't got a good guidebook with you, a guide is probably a good investment.

I haven't used Athens Walking Tours, but have heard good things about them. It looks like I'll have a chance to spend several days in Athens and am considering taking one of their tours (not the Acropolis one).

Thanks for your reply.

We're a bit concerned about the taxi idea, after reading messages on these boards about the way they cheat cruisers out of more money. After what I have read it seems there is no way to guard against that except to pre-arrange a taxi for 1/2 day at a much higher cost, and there will be just 2 of us, so more expensive for the taxi and for the guide.

It seems to me that the ship excursion will arrive there fairly early. Maybe we should wait to read reviews once the itinerary begins in April.

. . . Having been there previously around mid-morning (very crowded, even in November :eek:), I definitely plan to be there at or near the time it opens.

Just got back from our third trip (second cruise) to Athens, We were there on Mon, Nov 23. I can show you uncropped pictures on top of the Acropolis at about 11:30am where there is NO ONE else. Beautiful day. But it was almost creepy how few folks were there. We were the only large cruise ship in port and the folks at the Acroplis said that the am tours from the ship had left the Acroplis at about 11:00 and the pm tours were not expected until 1:30ish. If there were 50 other tourists total on the grounds at the time we were there, I'd be surprised.

. . . You might also consider taking a cab to the Acropolis rather than the metro. At about 20 euro total for the trip, I would consider it money well spent to get there early (and to save my stamina for walking the rest of a day in what is definitely a walking city....).

Last time, we've taken the train there and a cab back.

1E each for the train. 18E (15E + we added the 3E tip) negotiated cab fair back. There were a number of cabbies right at the bottom of the Acroplis hill, but they were outrageous. We walked a few blocks down from the museum area toward the National Gardens to where they started at 25E, then we negotiated.

. . . . however, if you don't know your Greek history and haven't got a good guidebook with you, a guide is probably a good investment. . .

My only "guided" tour of the Acropolis was less than what I wanted. Very canned, difficult to hear since there were SO many other people up there that day. This last time I got an audio tour for my iPod (I think it was Discovery Tours). Downloaded it for $15 and could copy it to up to five devices (we had three of us). I learned a lot more from it than from the live guide. Just another option

We also took the metro in and a cab back....... We knew ahead of time how to take the metro but as we exited the ship we encountered lots of taxi drivers..... so we decided to check it out. We found very pushy drivers who did NOT want to just take us to the Acropolis and drop us off. They were insistent about a 1/2 day or full day tour which we did not want. So we took the shuttle to the port exit, then walked to the metro which was a ways but very interesting. We exited right under the rock at the Plaka and walked up. Not a bad walk - stopped for a quick Coke and bathroom break at a taverna with an outside patio that overlooked the valley below with nice ruins. We did not opt for a guide, rather enjoyed walking around at our own pace and just soaking it all up. We did have some info I had taken that told us the buildings etc....but did not overload us with info. When we came down we found a nice outdoor table at a cafe and had lunch. Then walked back to the plaza near the metro station. I had a bad head cold and was feeling yucky by this time so we hailed cab and took it back to the ship. While easier it took longer than the metro (traffic :eek: ) and we paid 20 euros inc. tip.

In the end you just have to decide how much work you want to put into your day :o versus how much $$$ you want to spend.

Just got back from our third trip (second cruise) to Athens, We were there on Mon, Nov 23. I can show you uncropped pictures on top of the Acropolis at about 11:30am where there is NO ONE else. Beautiful day. But it was almost creepy how few folks were there. We were the only large cruise ship in port and the folks at the Acroplis said that the am tours from the ship had left the Acroplis at about 11:00 and the pm tours were not expected until 1:30ish. If there were 50 other tourists total on the grounds at the time we were there, I'd be surprised.

Last time, we've taken the train there and a cab back.

1E each for the train. 18E (15E + we added the 3E tip) negotiated cab fair back. There were a number of cabbies right at the bottom of the Acroplis hill, but they were outrageous. We walked a few blocks down from the museum area toward the National Gardens to where they started at 25E, then we negotiated.

My only "guided" tour of the Acropolis was less than what I wanted. Very canned, difficult to hear since there were SO many other people up there that day. This last time I got an audio tour for my iPod (I think it was Discovery Tours). Downloaded it for $15 and could copy it to up to five devices (we had three of us). I learned a lot more from it than from the live guide. Just another option

Good to know about the "window" of opportunity regarding the crowds. We were there about the same time of year as you but in 2006 and it was teeming at around 10:00 am.

I am not much of one for guided tours either, but I think they're useful for people who don't necessarily want to do a lot of reading/research in advance. I don't recall there being much in the way of signs or information on the Acropolis itself.

We had a private tour and made sure to be at the Acropolis close to opening time, which is at 8:00 am. At around 10:30 we had finished and it was already crowded with many big groups. You also need to consider that September is sometimes as hot as August.

If we walk to the Metro and go straight to the Acropolis, what time can we expect to be there?

If you arrive by 8:30 or 9 you should be well ahead of the crowds, which seem to fill the place up by 10-10:30.

On our first visit (on a port day in mid-Sept.) we went via metro. It took us approximately one hour from the time we left the ship until we arrived at the entrance to the Acropolis (at 9 a.m.). It was very quiet at that time.

On the next visit (a post cruise stay in early October) we walked from our hotel and arrived at 8 a.m. ... it was pretty special being there with just a handful of people.

Both times when we were leaving around 10:30, we were very glad not to be in the procession of people going in at peak time.

We used guide book material and explored on our own both times which we really enjoyed, but that is usually our choice in most of our travels.

As far as the option of a private driver...we used one on our post cruise stay for a day trip to the Peloponnese Peninsula and felt it was money well spent. I wouldn't feel the same way had we used a private driver to get us from one site to the next in the historic centre of Athens. The sites are close together and if you enjoy walking, it's the best way to explore here. However, the suggestion above to use a local taxi, if you can find one who will take you to the Acropolis for a reasonable fare, is worthwhile if you want to avoid the 20-25 minute walk to the Metro.

We were there two weeks ago and at that time a section of the metro was shut down. We couldn't take it all the way to the Acropolis. :( It would have required a partial metro/bus/metro transit. We ended up grabbing a taxi 4 blocks from the cruise ship. (It was pouring rain) We had not problems with going one way to the Acropolis. When we were finished sightseeing for the day we just picked a taxi up on the street. :) You will save some $$ by walking away from the cruise terminal and just picking up a regular street taxi.

Archived