Best Caribbean Island?

caribb23

Which Caribbean island do you like the best? I'm doing a 4-H public presentation on a caribbean island. I can't decide which one. I have already done a presentation on St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Barbados. I was leaning towards Grenada or any other small islands like the BVI. Any ideas? Thanks!:)

Surfing, Snorkeling, Tanning =]

I've been to Dominica - loved it. Emerald Pool, just brings back so many memories.

Indeed, Barbados was amazing. We spent the whole day at the wonderful beach with.the perfect waves.

Which Caribbean island do you like the best? I'm doing a 4-H public presentation on a caribbean island. I can't decide which one. I have already done a presentation on St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Barbados. I was leaning towards Grenada or any other small islands like the BVI. Any ideas? Thanks!:)

As you're surely aware there's no "best" Caribbean island, only an individual's favourite.

But if you're doing a (4 hour?) presentation, I'd be inclined to select one with an exceptionally interesting history or trade or places of interest.

Grenada for its spice trade of course, also the US invasion/liberation/call-it-what-you-will & hurricane damage. Shame Cuba is presumably off-limits. Tortola or Jamaica (Port Royal, wickedest town in the world) for their pirate associations, tho Jamaica also for its Columbus connections, sugar/slavery history, coffee, Trenchtown yardies & crime in general, Bob Marley, the luminous lagoon (not known by cruisers, only seen at night), Ian Fleming & James Bond, ................ errr, though its far from being my favourite, I think I've already decided which island I'd do a public presentation on :D

John Bull

There are so many variables:

Best town -- Curacao

Most beaches -- Antigua

Most pick-pockets -- St. Thomas

Worst town -- St. John (Antigua)

Best beach -- Baie Rouge (St. Martin)

Best archictecture - San Juan, P.R.

Least beaches -- Curacao

Most Agressive vendors -- Jamaica

Mot awesome scenery -- Dominica

Most crowded port -- tie: Cozumel and St. Thomas

The list can go on indefinitely -- everyone's tastes vary -- for some St. Thomas and Cozumel rank as the best -- for others, those same two islands are the best places to stay on the ship.

As other posters have said "best" is in the eye of the beholder. For me, it would have to be Dominica.....simply mind-blowing scenery and very little tourist impact on the island (yet), unlike St Lucia which does have the beautiful Pitons. There is also a 3,700 acre territory on the island for the Carib Indians, Dominica's first people, something pretty unique in the Caribbean.

Most of you like Dominica =]. Is dominica were a lot of canabals (spl?) living there?

I've always wanted to visit Grenada - for its spices and history. I think it would be easier to present information on an island i know and love, but more informative for me to learn about Grenada.

John Bull - it's not a 4 hour presentation. 4-H is an association with many different clubs (horses, goats, guns, agriculture, etc) that helps children 8-18 learn about almost anything and helps you with your speaking ability in front of people. The presentation is going to last from 2 minutes - 15 minutes.

Thank you all so much!

John Bull - it's not a 4 hour presentation. 4-H is an association with many different clubs (horses, goats, guns, agriculture, etc) that helps children 8-18 learn about almost anything and helps you with your speaking ability in front of people. The presentation is going to last from 2 minutes - 15 minutes.

Thank you all so much!

Then I'll revise my opinion & take the attitude of a lot of teachers. Any island you know 0.1% more than the audience :D

(just my little joke NBT)

But then kids do like pirate stories, eh Jim lad

John Bull

I like most of the Islands even if there are some bad parts. Only two I really dislike Jamaica and Cozumuel.

The only thing I get fed up of is the diamond rip-off shops, they seem to be growing in number too! Infact thinking about it all the shops on all the Islands are the same, only the Island name changes:rolleyes:

I think for a presentation for the 4 H'ers , St. Martin would be interesting as it is two countries sharing the same island, with their own laws, governing bodies, languages, cultlures and interesting history. You won't find that too many places.

Caribb 23, I haven't been there yet, but I like your idea of doing a presentation about Grenada.

In addition to the reasons already given for Grenada by John Bull, there is an artist who makes designs, makes, and places sculptures in the ocean. His first sculptures have been down there long enough that they have coral and other items growing on them, so they are changing as time goes by. It will be interesting to see what they look like in another few years. Different, yet cool, at least to me :).

Here's a link that tells about the sculptures and has pictures. http://www.underwatersculpture.com

Best of luck with your presentation.

Archived