Alaska?

digby

Gosh guys- give the girl a break, she apologized already. But I still can't imagine O risking the ire of the baby boom generation who will never forgive Jane. Hmm, Jodie Foster?? Or are we supposed to be reading between the lines? Jancruzen, mind sharing the initial of your last name?

"F", of course...If they didn't pick Jan, they should have...celebrities are here today and in trouble tomorrow...

...and anyone who doesn't like Jane Fonda never saw Barbarella...

I really wanted to be Godmother but now they want a celebrity, so Im out!!

Aw Jan, Say it isn't so!! :(

orchids%20and%20roses.jpgWe already sprang for the corsage!

Oh well.....

TF164_03_EH.jpg

If we have it redone as a wristlet, perhaps we can palm it off on poor Aunt Eunice for St Patricks Day. :o

Though DW and I love Oceania, we had to go on Holland America to get to Alaska this summer. (Didn't feel like paying the freight for RSSC.) Though it is worthy to note that most lines have been cutting back on Alaska offerings due to too much capacity in Alaska of late. I, for one, will keep a close watch on what new things are offered, and hope for some Alaska alternatives.

bbwex - did you check out Silversea for Alaska this summer? They had some VERY competitive pricing last year in Alaska and, as a bonus, (IMHO) few if any kids aboard. If you drink and would take advantage of that "all inclusive" feature, it is definitely worth comparison shopping! We went last year and loved it.

With only one 600 passenger vessel in the region,

True, but you also have the Silversea Shadow there.

We had really nice Silversea shore excursions last year including one with a professional nature photographer helping all (~20) of us with finer points of photography and our cameras (we saw about 30 whales and we saw eagles plus lots of other critters and foliage), another where we did a 4 ecosystem hike, another with a hydroplane to a glacier lake where we saw mama bear and her cubs, etc. Excellent! (They had $1000 shipboard credits last year plus we had the $300 from Amex Platinum so we did more ship excursions than usual - at least compared to when we sail Oceania.)

I agree Alaska is a one timer. Maybe they will go over the Pacific after AK. season. Maybe Jan knows.

Now THAT's an idea - typical Alaska inland passage cruise followed by Kodiak, the Aleutians and then across to Russia and Japan and on from there. I'd do that trip!

• 4 weeks later...

The Port of San Francisco website published their preliminary 2011 cruise ship schedule on March 12. It has Regatta scheduled in SF on May 12, May 26, August 26 and September 9. I assume Regatta will do some "shoulder season" Alaska cruises in/out of SF whereas the balance of the season will see her home ported in either Seattle or Vancouver?

http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=91557

Hopeful sign. I note they do not show the next port which is very frustrating.

It may be Alaska or elsewhere.

Maybe Oceania has reserved the berths but has not finalized the itinerary.

I hope they are not considering the one week Mexican Riviera type cruises that all the big ships do.

The Port of San Francisco website published their preliminary 2011 cruise ship schedule on March 12. It has Regatta scheduled in SF on May 12, May 26, August 26 and September 9. I assume Regatta will do some "shoulder season" Alaska cruises in/out of SF whereas the balance of the season will see her home ported in either Seattle or Vancouver?

Good idea checking the port schedule. Looks to me like a 14 day up and back on May 12. Then up and as you suggest using Vancouver or Seattle as the summer home port. I checked those port schedules but Oceania is not listed on either (yet perhaps.) There is also 14 days between Aug 26 and Sep 9. Puzzling why it would come back to SF for that one run in Aug.

Just speculation on my part of course.

While there are lots of those Mexican Riviera cruises, I would be happy to cruise that on O. I am sure lots of folks get tired of these but just look at the number of 3,4,7 day Caribbean cruises and their popularity. For me either of those areas it is about the cruising and less so for the itinerary. Warm weather, blue skies on a cruise ship.

Alaska of course is a different story - the destinations are highlights for me. Drove up that way a number of years back (Yukon and touched on Alaska.) Spectacular trip - want to get back.

Trouble with the 7 day and shorter cruises is that they get lots of kids and young party-all-night people.

Not that I have any problem with those groups but not on Oceania. The ships are not set up for it and most loyal Oceania guests prefer an all adult cruise.

I suspect the port dates are just provisional until they get their plans finalized.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=91557

The preliminary 2011 schedule has one glaring error regarding O. It shows Marina leaving LA on 02/26 when it should be 02/24. It also shows that the next port is San Diego - it should be SF. San Diego will be an initial stop on 02/28. That's the cruise on which we are booked.

Regarding the O sailings cited, the destination port is not listed. I am guessing that it would be Vancouver. The first two sailings make sense if Alaska is the destination. Makes no sense that O would position in the pacific NW (probably 12 day sailings) for the summer and then make two runs back up in the shoulder season. Then again, the schedule is preliminary when it comes to O. Other than O, who knows?

Perhaps the later sailings could be to Hawaii? Probably not long enough for South Pacific, but perhaps later on?

Pretty good guess if that's what is in store! Much too early for Mexico.Still too hot!

The preliminary 2011 schedule has one glaring error regarding O. It shows Marina leaving LA on 02/26 when it should be 02/24. It also shows that the next port is San Diego - it should be SF. San Diego will be an initial stop on 02/28. That's the cruise on which we are booked.

We are on the preceding cruise from Miami - - and the San Francisco schedule is correct. The Marina arrives in San Francisco at 4 pm the afternoon of Feb. 25th and departs at 8 pm the following evening - the 26th at 8 pm. Their next port after departing San Francisco will be San Diego.Regarding the entries of the Regatta - her 2010 cruises will not be out until early May. So, no "Last Port" or "Next Port" information is yet available. My hope is for a summer in Alaska - but with itineraries of a much longer duration than those seven day ventures of the other lines. Time will tell!!</p>

We'll have to wait until May to be certain, but I suspect that 12 and 14 day sailings will be the norm. Oceania has never sailed 3,4,5, or 7 day sailings (the shortest of which I am aware is 10 days), and I doubt if they will start now. The only thing of which I'm fairly sure is that there will be no sailings to and through the Aleutian islands the first season.

Archived