Alaska?

digby

I am grateful to my friend Hondorner to remember my little contribution to Oceania's contest some time ago.

We have been on little exploration boats in Alaska up to medium sized cruise ships. (I am not at all interested in those huge floating barges that most lines are now sailing)

The thrill of Alaska can be covered by the words "Up Close and Personal". Too far off at sea, you'll never see anything - small boats will allow closer inspection of the shore - and marine mammals are not frightened off by their size. On the small Alaska exploration boats, we often had pods of whales or dolphins chasing along with us.

I think Oceania's Regatta would be an ideal way for us to revisit - and NO "formal nights"!!

If you mean the South Pacific, I hope not.

Pacific-Ocean-Map.gif

People from California always think that they want to go to the South Pacific when they are bored with Alaska and Mexico, but then they realize that it's at least 5.5 full days at sea just to get to Hawaii, and the ships sail empty.

I believe that Hondorner suggested an Alaska to Asia cruise via the Aleutians which could be incredible.

Aleutians_Map.gif

Oceania would have to get the timing right, because the weather there can be wretched, but it does seem a clever, and far less traveled, alternative to always returning via the Indian Ocean. :D

I'm from California and I not only think I want to sail to the South Pacific but have done the Hawaii R/T twice out of SD on Celebrity...love those sea days...and trust me...the ships were not empty!!!! :rolleyes: LuAnn

Endless Vacation, the magazine by RCI (timeshare, not cruiseline) says that Marina sets sail in September and will spend the first year in the Baltic, Mediterranean, Caribbean, and Amazon. So that frees up Regatta to do Alaska which is what Jan said.....

Mo

Endless Vacation, the magazine by RCI (timeshare, not cruiseline) says that Marina sets sail in September and will spend the first year in the Baltic, Mediterranean, Caribbean, and Amazon. So that frees up Regatta to do Alaska which is what Jan said.....

Mo

Wonder what they think Marina is going to do between January, when she actually sets sail, and September? Assuming they are talking about 2011, by then, Regatta should be nearly done with her first season in Alaska and heading for whereever her new Winter season may be spent, possibly the Mexican Riviera, or possibly the New York/Charleston/Bermuda triangle.

Mo

They must mean Sept 2011 or they are not in touch with what is happening at Oceania;)

Lyn

I looked it up. They are talking about September, 2010. They just got it wrong. It was published in their Spring 2010 issue, which is current, but it carried this disclaimer:

NOTE: Information may have changed since publication. Please confirm key details before planning your trip. aaaaaa.gif

I guess so!

I think they are referring to 2010. I assume they have to make sure Marina floats before they take on passengers. Surely there will be extensive sea trials before the Jan 22 sail date. I would think maybe this starts in September? If the first time she enters the water is Jan 22, then maybe I will rethink my reservation :rolleyes:

Mo

If the first time she enters the water is Jan 22, then maybe I will rethink my reservation

Marina is being Christened, and floated out of the building drydock at 12:30PM (Genoa, Italy time) on this next Friday, February 26 (one week from today). :D

two-hands-with-wine-making-a-toast.jpgI thing we should all raise our glasses in unison.....

I think they are referring to 2010. I assume they have to make sure Marina floats before they take on passengers. Surely there will be extensive sea trials before the Jan 22 sail date. I would think maybe this starts in September? If the first time she enters the water is Jan 22, then maybe I will rethink my reservation :rolleyes:

Mo

Marina will enter the water next week (or, rather, the water will enter the drydock and she will float), but she will not be finished and ready for sea trials for many months. I don't know what constitutes "extensive" sea trials, but I'm certain they won't last for 5 months.

"Endless Vacations" gleaned their information in their Spring issue from somewhere, but it certainly wasn't Reality.

As already posted elsewhere, Marina will be launched this coming Friday - and in reality, water will be allowed to flow into the dry-dock until the hull floats. That is tantamount to a "launching" - no more sliding down the ways and hitting the water. Once it floats (does anyone doubt that it will?) it will be officially christened "Marina".

That frees up the dry dock space so that another ship may begin to take shape. In the meantime, Marina, which is far from completion, will have her interior work done, which will take many more months. "Launching" no longer means that a ship is fully completed and ready for passengers.

And "Endless Vacations" printing of her future destinations was a bit optimistic. "The Baltic, Mediterranean, Caribbean and the Amazon" - all at the same time? That would be quite an undertaking! :confused:

Oh I dont know about all that Jan.....

I hear that it is a glamorous woman who shares my initials

Jim Franzese

Hi Jim, thanks for the nice compliment..always appreciated (especially at my age)

LOL, When O started up..I really wanted to be Godmother but now they want a celebrity, so Im out!! (Like they say on Project Runway..) LOL

Jancruz1

Gosh guys- give the girl a break, she apologized already. But I still can't imagine O risking the ire of the baby boom generation who will never forgive Jane. Hmm, Jodie Foster?? Or are we supposed to be reading between the lines? Jancruzen, mind sharing the initial of your last name?

Archived