Category MM cabin & HAL questions

Joby

Hi,

we're (husband and I) are considering our first HAL cruise.

I have previously been on:

Celebrity--Century, Horizon, Summit, and Constellation (all least expensive OV cabins).

Carnival Valor (just got off 2 weeks ago and had 1st inside cabin).

I have loved all the Celebrity cruises. The Carnival was fine for the price but, I'm not in a hurry to go back to Carnival.

This will be my husband's first cruise:)

We're an active 52 yr. old couple but we like peace and quiet too. We enjoy good food and service and enjoyable company.

We're considering the Westerdam next January going to Half Moon Cay, Aruba and Curacao. Aruba for the beach and water, Curacao for the diving and 3 sea days would be nice to relax.

We're looking at the least expensive inside cabin category MM.

Any opinions on if HAL and an MM cabin might be a good match for us?

I've sailed Celebrity, including Century and am 58. The HAL product is, in my opinion, much better and you will love the Westerdam. I always, by choice, book an inside as I don't sleep well with any degree of light coming in. I don't recall exactly what an MM is like but, if you want space, try for a J inside on Main Deck.

My inside cabin on the Noordam was only 150 sq. ft., tiny in comparison to other HAL ships and Carnival's inside cabins. If there had been another person in the cabin, they wouldn't have been alive after the first 3 days. :D

Suggest you spend a little more and book one of those square-shaped insides on the Main Deck. I think they're J or K.

Roz

Thanks Roz :)

We're also thinking of trying an inside guarantee for the same cost as an MM assigned cabin.

Carnival was my 1st inside (3 of us girls in it--lowest deck and not quite midship) and we did fine.

This will be my husband's 1st cruise. We're not hard to please but, don't want huge noise 24/7. We're active and won't spend tons of time in the cabin, thus considering the inside guarantee.

I do know it's always a gamble. Are there really awful cabins on the Westerdam? I can't find a list of cabins to avoid as I have on other cruiselines.

Thoughts on that anyone?

Those MM category cabins on the Vista class ships -- like the Westerdam -- are about the size of a piano case (i.e., tiny). When you consider that it doesn't cost much more, per-person, to secure one of the Js on Main Deck, I really don't see it worth the "savings" to put up with the cramped conditions. Those specific Js on Main Deck are large and comfortable, with plenty of floor space and storage space. Do NOT confuse them with the Js on higher decks ... those are nearly as tiny as the MMs you're looking at.

If you can't get a J on maindeck, kick in a few more dollars (usually less than $100 more per-person) and you can get a nice outside cabin, like a H-category (fully obstructed) or G-category (partly obstructed) cabin. Those are nice.

Thanks again to both of you for your suggestions. We're on a budget but, sometimes it's worth a little more to go up and sometimes not.

Just trying to get a feel for what we might get and be comfortable with.

Thanks again :)

Good advice, Rev Neal. I learned my lesson the hard way. I had one of those J cabins on an upper deck, and it was the only time in my cruising life where I started to have an attack of claustrophobia. I had to get out of bed and open up the door to the hallway so that I could breath. Not fun.

Roz

Good advice, Rev Neal. I learned my lesson the hard way. I had one of those J cabins on an upper deck, and it was the only time in my cruising life where I started to have an attack of claustrophobia. I had to get out of bed and open up the door to the hallway so that I could breath. Not fun.

Thanks, Roz.

When I was a novice in a Monastic Community (back in the early 1990s) I lived in a "cell" that was about the same size as those tiny upper-deck Js and MM inside cabins ... minus the bathroom! I could probably survive in one of those tiny cabins ... IF I were by myself (i.e., single supplement). I can't imagine actually SHARING one of them with somebody! I know people do it all the time, but they are TINY cabins. When one considers the price difference between one of them and a J on Main Deck, and I, or an outside H or G, I just don't see that the savings are worth the discomfort.

One of the many things that make the S and R class ships superior to the Vistas in terms of accommodations is that the insides are all of acceptable size (even the smallest are larger than the MMs and upper-level Js on the Vistas) ... for example, all of the Js are the same size (and GREATLY located on those ships, too).

This is one reason (among others :D ) I could never become a nun. Could never make it thru being a novice and postulant in one of those cells.

The inside cabins on the Vista class ships are definitely NOT one of the improvements over the R and S class.

Roz

This is one reason (among others :D ) I could never become a nun. Could never make it thru being a novice and postulant in one of those cells.

It wasn't that bad. Being free of "stuff" was wonderful. I had a shelf with a couple-dozen books, I had a small chest-of-drawers with underwear, some t-shirts, shorts, several pair of slacks and a few casual shirts. I had a small closet space where I hung my cassocks and scapular, a couple of suits, and several clergy shirts, etc. And ... that was about it. Clothing and a few books. I lived there for 9 months and I look back on those days fondly; it was a very peaceful time for me. However, I don't regret leaving (not making life-time vows). I'm doing what I believe God wants me to do in my life, today.

The inside cabins on the Vista class ships are definitely NOT one of the improvements over the R and S class.

Agreed. The Northern Lights is an improvement. So is the larger Ocean Bar and (on the Eurodam) the Silk Den and the Pan-Asian Restaurant. However, otherwise the ships are too large and too crowded with too many tiny cabins.

I booked an MM guarantee for Noordam last month and got a tiny cabin on deck 6. The previous trip, I did the same and got upgraded to an oceanview. The only way the inside was remotely acceptable was to split the beds. Booked onboard for next January on the Nieuw Amsterdam and bagged a J grade on the Main Deck which I have had on other ships three times before. For an inside, it's the only way to go.

HAL should be fine.

I would go for the inside cabin and more cruises over the years. If you are not patricular on location I would go guarentee.

My guess is that you are far enough out that you will get an outside cabin. May not be the best location but I find that any location has worked for me with the exception of one night.

If the main deck category "J" 's are booked, another category to consider are the upper verandah deck category "I"'s.

The website I often book with showed no main deck "J" for the dates I looked at, but the "I" was $35 per person more than a minimum MM.

Best $70 you'll ever spend.

Hi Joby,

I would agree with the comments here about the MM Category.

Last year I had a MM on the Westerdam (4165) and it was very small.

As a Solo it was okay but it would be very small for 2 people. There was very little space to walk between the bed and the walls. The small table and chair at the foot of the bed was virtually unusable because they were in the way of the door opening.

When asked "how small was it" my answer has been:

"it was so small you could lie on the bed and open the door for room service"

Because the bed was along the outside wall any noise from the hallway was clearly heard.

3190848818_32fd5a564b_s.jpg

3190847610_49e7acd3b1_s.jpg

Tomorrowtamer, I agree with your assessement. The configuration of the cabins leaves a lot to be desired. A well laid out small cabin can work. I was tempted to ask my steward to separate the beds to give me more space, but our cruise got off to a rocky start because of a noro cleaning and crew immigration issues, so I hated to impose on the poor over-stressed staff. Next time I won't be so considerate. :D

Roz

If the main deck category "J" 's are booked, another category to consider are the upper verandah deck category "I"'s.

The website I often book with showed no main deck "J" for the dates I looked at, but the "I" was $35 per person more than a minimum MM.

Best $70 you'll ever spend.

Correct. All I category cabins are large ... excellent cabins. Essentially, they're like the large inside cabins on the S and Rs.

rjm1cc,

I booked my inside guarantee over a year in advance, and didn't get an upgrade to an outside, so I wouldn't advise anyone to use that strategy. My advance planning yielded me a saltine box as a dwelling unit for 10 days.

Roz

These are all much appreciated comments and suggestions!

I looked earlier today and all of the J's on Main deck were gone for our date-- 1/14/11.

The I's are $200 more than an MM.

Would anyone be willing to give me some exact cabins that could be a good choice?

I saw 2 cabins # 4100 and 4099 that say fully obstructed but, look like they aren't on the deck plans. Anyone know?

We would be willing to take a guarantee if we had some experience and could hedge our chances of getting a decent cabin.

This is a very helpful group with lots of experience too :)

As a side note--scapulars, Nuns, etc. are very familiar to me and my family :)

These are all much appreciated comments and suggestions!

I looked earlier today and all of the J's on Main deck were gone for our date-- 1/14/11.

The I's are $200 more than an MM.

Would anyone be willing to give me some exact cabins that could be a good choice?

I saw 2 cabins # 4100 and 4099 that say fully obstructed but, look like they aren't on the deck plans. Anyone know?

We would be willing to take a guarantee if we had some experience and could hedge our chances of getting a decent cabin.

This is a very helpful group with lots of experience too :)

As a side note--scapulars, Nuns, etc. are very familiar to me and my family :)

Looking at HAL's website, that $200 more figure is for 2 people. That's not bad ... $100 more per person for a FAR superior cabin ... a cabin that will be LARGER, by the way, at 185 Sq Ft, than the 171 Sq Ft. GG you're asking about.

4100 and 4099 are both GG category Partially Obstructed cabins. You'll have the back of a tender and a bunch of equipment for raising and lower it in your way, but you'll have light and your even be able to see a bit of water. The Gs would be slightly better, if the view at all matters. I've stayed in Gs before and really like them. They're good cabins, even for two people, though -- as I said above -- the I insides would be slightly larger (about 14 Sq Ft larger. That might not matter.

If it were me, I would book an I. If I wanted an outside view, rather than going with a GG or a G for $100 more than the I, I'd go with a VF for $200 more than the I (it's only $300 more than the MM) and I'd get not only a view but air, too.

ONE of the few advantages of the Vista Class ship is that you get into the Verandah classification of cabin at a CEAPER dollar factor than you can on the S/R ships. For some people, it's really worth it. Me ... I'd rather cruise in an Inside cabin, save that extra $300, and cruise more often (or on longer itineraries).

OK, I think we're making some progress. We've almost decided against the MM. The price is so nice though.

The VF is out, as it's over what we would like to spend. A balcony would be great if we wanted to spend that much but, we would rather spend the saved money on diving or another excursion :)

The I is sounding appealing too.

On the deck plans, the K cabins on the Upper Verandah deck look larger than the MM's. Are they?

We're looking for the best bang for the least money :)

Thanks so much for all of the help!

Another question--

what would be the worst case scenario if we booked an H guarantee? It is the same price as the cat. I cabins?

Are there any awfully positioned cabins from H on up that we would want to avoid?

I looked up our Carnival Valor cabin (there were 3 ladies in it and it was an inside on the lowest deck) and it was 185 sq. ft. We did fine in it.

My husband and I will have our dive gear with us and it does take up a bit of space. We're not terribly big packers and are neatniks :)

Maybe I should make this a seperate post. If I don't get any responses I'll move it :)

Joby,

Just let me share our experience with you. We sailed on the MS Noordam, sister like to the MS. Westerdam. We booked a guarantee inside MM cat. We were "upgraded" to a inside J cat. Higher on the ship, YES. However, what a SMALL stateroom! No sofa, just a chair. SO, I went to the front desk a few days into the cruise and asked if I could see the guarantee inside MM cat. The front desk gave me a few decks and stateroom number's to go look at as long as the cabin steward's for them where present. The configuration was totally different and REALLY appeared to be ALOT more functional than what we got as a supposed "upgrade". We managed fine in the stateroom we had, but only after having the bed's separated. We had that stateroom for 17 night's and we survived.

Also, two year's ago I was on the MS Westerdam and booked a guarantee inside MM cat and somehow got lucky to an obstuctive view. That stateroom was quite roomy.

Hope this helps with your matter.

Tricia

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions and opinions.

We booked the Westerdam Southern Caribbean and a catagory I cabin that is 243 sq. ft.!!!!!!! I was in the market for a new cruise agent and found one who really seems to know her stuff. She suggested this cabin.

We're excited to try HAL for the first time :)

Thanks again for the help.

Archived