Category MM cabin & HAL questions

Joby

In reading these posts, I'm a bit concerned - we have Cat. N cabins, #4023, 4017, 4018 on the Westerdam, and we're putting a 18 mo. old in with his folks in one of those. Are these normal size, or are they "tiny" like the MMs? Anybody know?

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions and opinions.

We booked the Westerdam Southern Caribbean and a catagory I cabin that is 243 sq. ft.!!!!!!! I was in the market for a new cruise agent and found one who really seems to know her stuff. She suggested this cabin.

We're excited to try HAL for the first time :)

Thanks again for the help.

What cabin number is that and deck? Is it a quad? We are two parents and two kids looking for maximum space. Thanks.

I did an MM gty on Westerdam and got a K cabin, 1116. The J&K square cabins are huge, bigger than my bedroom at home! Larger than E1115 that I had on Oosterdam last year. I loved it. I just posted pics of it on a thread about Oosterdam J & K cabins...EM

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152059

What cabin number is that and deck? Is it a quad? We are two parents and two kids looking for maximum space. Thanks.

Hi sprockie,

the larger catagory I cabins are: 6067, 6071, 6075, 6081. That's what our new agent told me.

We booked an MM for our 14 Night Alaskan cruise and were able to upgrage to a J midship for the same price,by checking other websites.My T/A honored the upgrade and we are quite happy with our choice.We booked in August for June 14 cruise and I haven't seen any more price changes Now Cat J are all booked

• 1 year later...

Sorry for necroing such an old thread, but it was exactly the topic I needed.

I am booking on the Westerdam through a group and I may not be able to choose the exact room, only the class. Would it still be a good idea to book J or I even if it's possible that I may get one of the smaller MM-size rooms or just save the cash and not risk paying extra for a no-larger room? Rather, what would be the safest option for saving money if you couldn't choose the exact room?

I've begun to question the value of booking with a group - at a discount - with the lowest bidding travel agent - if you can't pick your cabin.

I'm angry/angrier/angriest at the TA's who tout the guarantees, confide "I never get any complaints - in fact, you'll almost certainly get a free upgrade!".....then never deal with the same person again. Or ask them how it went.

A cabin I can't pick is usually not worth booking - to me. I did it exactly once - an EE guarantee on a S class ship. That worked out because there was nothing unacceptable to me in that category, or higher.

Have you priced the same cruise booked another way, so you *can* pick the cabin? How much more would it cost?

So, I agree with Essiesmom, think her advice is excellent.....and know I will never, ever take it and book an MM guarantee on a Vista. Clearly YMMV - most people's do.

Have you priced the same cruise booked another way, so you *can* pick the cabin? How much more would it cost?

I'm booking with a group because it is the only way to go with that group and get access to all of their events. They aren't actually any cheaper. For a Feb2012 cruise, their prices are identical to Holland's site (except for a limited number of low end rooms about $50 off). Booking through them is the only way they are allowing (since they are using an agency to coordinate the hundreds of guests) so I have no choice. I guess I'll make peace with getting an MM room and spend more time on deck (and drinks with the money I'll save).

Sorry - misunderstood the type of "group". Thought it was just a block of cabins with friends through a discounter.

In that case, absolutely relax and enjoy your savings while sipping a fruity drink!

Archived