Currency questions - Southern Caribbean

SellaVee

We're taking the Wind Surf cruise through the Southern Caribbean after a stay in Barbados, and I'm wondering whether to take Eastern Caribbean Dollars as well as US Dollars. We're from the UK so both will involve changing currency.

Now I know that on board we'll be able to charge everything to our credit card, but if we do our own thing ashore on the islands how often are we likely to need local currency? For example, if we book an excursion with say Levi or Wayne or even take a taxi from the quayside, is it bettter to have local currency or do the operators prefer US$? If we're buying souvenirs, or drinks and snacks, what's the best way to pay?

I don't want to waste time changing currency on the trip if I can help it, so if anyone can suggest when we might need EC$ I can work out how much to bring. I know Tobago has a different currency, but I'm planning on using US$ there. Many thanks.

We are also from the UK and we did this trip in January.(Fantastic) We took US dollars with us and they were accepted everywhere we went. When they give you change it will be in EC dollars so things can get a little complicated! :) The people are great and were also very helpful if we were giving them a mixture of coins.

Enjoy your trip. We had a great time, it was our 4th trip with Windstar and I'm counting the days till the next - not booked yet but hoping.

We used US dollars everywhere in the Caribbean on our last cruise and had no problems. Even the small shops gave us back change in US dollars. At one place I requested to have my change in the local currency so that I would have some to bring home as a souvenir. They looked at me strange.

MexicoBob

Archived