Priceline Bidding for San Diego Hotel

O2Bcrusin

I am trying to get a hotel on priceline that will be convenient to get to the ship in the morning. I am not sure if I should bid 4*, 3.5* or 3*. It seems the 3* are the ones closer to the pier and perhaps within walking distance? If not does anyone know if the 4* have a shuttle to the pier? I know everyone will be different and there is no guarantee but do they typically have that service? We are getting in rather late Thursday night via airplane so a shuttle from the airport would be nice too. If our hotel doesn't provide that service is there another way? There will be six of us traveling. I am not that picky regarding what the * level of the hotel is since we won't be spending much time there as long as it is clean.

betterbidding dot com should help you out a bit with that. I went through the other bidding site and was able to determine that I was bidding on the Sheraton hotel & marina.

It look slike the 3.5 star hotel people are winning in the downtown area for $55 is the Sheraton Suites.

You cannot tell exactly which hotel you will get by using Priceline. The airport in San Diego is only 2miles from the cruise port and the rwst of downtown is only about another mile sooo even if you have to take a taxi it won't be far and won't cost much. The 4**** hotels in downtown do NOT offer free shuttles.

IF you want to know exactly which hotel you will get then use better bidding dot com to find Hotwire hotels and just book one of those.

The Sheraton Marina is right opposite the airport and has a free shuttle from the airport to its door but not to the cruise port. There is little to do right there and perhaps 1 nice restaurant nearby

$80 will get you a 4 star hotel in downtown san diego right by Horton Plaza and just minutes (several, several blocks?) from the pier in the morning. So stuff to do the night before and and an easy arrival at the pier in the morning.

I was having no luck with $55 -60 bids on a 3.5 star hotel (which is probably going to land you closer to the pier and farther from other things, but still -- nothing's far), but I do think $70 would have definitely gotten me something and am pretty sure that $65 would've worked for a 3.5 star hotel.

$80 will get you a 4 star hotel in downtown san diego right by Horton Plaza and just minutes (several, several blocks?) from the pier in the morning. So stuff to do the night before and and an easy arrival at the pier in the morning.

I was having no luck with $55 -60 bids on a 3.5 star hotel (which is probably going to land you closer to the pier and farther from other things, but still -- nothing's far), but I do think $70 would have definitely gotten me something and am pretty sure that $65 would've worked for a 3.5 star hotel.

I did get a 3* for $50. Got the HI Downtown. Not the HI I wanted but they do have a shuttle from the airport to hotel and from hotel to pier in the morning so that is good.

I always start all priceline/hotwire research at betterbidding. It's a fabulous site and very easy to use.

Priceline has moved the Sheraton Marina into the 4* downtown zone. Many people are getting placed here. I did not want this hotel. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because there is not a store or many dining choices within walking distance.

I scratched priceline for San Diego and moved to Hotwire where I was able to secure Holiday Inn On the Bay for $60.00. If you do your research on betterbidding, you can isolate the Holiday Inn on the Bay vs. Holiday Inn downtown (and all other 3 stars) because the icons are different.

I could have probably gotten Holiday Inn On the Bay for $10.00 cheaper on Priceline, but it was a roll of the dice chancing too many other hotels and I personally wanted Holiday Inn on the Bay due to the location, and midnight shuttle. Holiday Inn on the Bay has free transportation to HOrton Plaza for shopping too. It was worth it to me to go hotwire vs priceline this trip and make sure I ended up with Holiday Inn on the Bay.

Good luck with your bidding!

Cheryl :)

We were able to get Sheraton Hotel and Marina for $89 a night through Hotwire. I used betterbidding to pinpoint which hotel I was bidding on. We decided to go with Sheraton over Holiday Inn on the Bay just because of the reviews that we read, nothing major, just cosmetic stuff.

Archived