HAL canvas bags

Yaya&Papu

Today I saw a new use for the canvas bags that are "given" to us by HAL. As many of you know, today is Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) and is celebrated here in South Louisiana with parades. At the Rex (King of Carnival) parade in New Orleans, I saw a couple carrying their canvas HAL bags in which to put their throws - these are the beads, doubloons, plastic cups, and other goodies that are thrown by the people on the floats to the spectators. The only problem that I could see, is that the bags are not big enough to hold all the things that one usually catches.

Happy Mardi Gras to all !!!!

Yaya:)

How delightful! I wouldn't have expected to see a HAL canvas bag along the parade route.

Having never been to this particular festivity, I'm curious. About how much of the beads and such does the average person collect along the parade route?

How many HAL bags would it take?;)

It would be easy to fill several HAL bags at Mardi Gras. This year especially they were throwing freely. The beads are bought by the gross and the crews (Clubs riding on the floats) throw them to the crowds.It's a lot of fun, the world's largest party. You should try to go. Avoid the French Quarter at this time and you'll mainly see a family atmosphere. Usually the French Quarter is the place to go but during Carnival season it's full of nuts and drinkers.

Happy Mardi Gras!:)

You're right it is a great party. We've found the best viewing spots to be along St. Charles Avenue.

After the parade passes, even the trees are hanging full of beads!

If the weather cooperates, it's a wonderful time in a fun city.

Does every passenger get a canvas bag? Does anyone have a picture?

HAL provides a canvas bag, generally one per cabin, the evening before your first port call. Your stewad will leave it in your cabin at turndown. Sorry, never photographed my bags. They're cream-colored canvas with HAL logo and, perhaps a list of HAL ships, and nicely sized to hold a beach towel or two.

We use our bags for grocery shopping. Somes the stores in Canada are charging for the plastic bags (and who needs more of them anyway) so use them. They are also a great conversation starter as well about our cruises, which love to talk about.

After the Rex parade, there are 2 truck parades following. There are about 200 plus trucks with about 30-40 riders per truck throwing things.

We stayed for about 30 trucks and had 3 brown paper grocery bags full of beads, etc. We had our grandson with us and so we got a lot of things and we really did not know anyone on any truck or we would have gotten a lot more! We usually stand near the start of the parade on St. Charles with the family crowd and not by the "crazies" downtown near the French Quarter. Weather was great - just a cold start to the day but lots of sunshine.

It would be easy to fill several HAL bags at Mardi Gras. This year especially they were throwing freely. The beads are bought by the gross and the crews (Clubs riding on the floats) throw them to the crowds.It's a lot of fun, the world's largest party. You should try to go. Avoid the French Quarter at this time and you'll mainly see a family atmosphere. Usually the French Quarter is the place to go but during Carnival season it's full of nuts and drinkers.

Happy Mardi Gras!:)

Wow it does sound as though multiple bags would come it handy. Thanks for taking the time to describe the fun. Perhaps I'll experience it first hand one day.

HAL canvas bags....I carried one of mine to Berlin and down to the Canary Islands as a book bag last month for two and a half weeks. It came in very handy.

I saw one fellow on Maasdam last November with a jacket made from the HAL bags he had collected. He was very proud of it and wore it almost every day.

I washed the one I used as a book bag when I came home and it shrank to about 2/3 of its original size.

I now have several canvas bags as we get one on every cruise. I have put heavy duty zippers in a couple so that i can carry things to or from and not loose anything out of it. They wash real well to. HPF

Archived