Extra Pounds ?

Interrogation Room

There is so much food on board - oh the temptation! But the really good news is that there are a lot of healthy choices. Fresh fruit is everywhere, and the salad bar is good. One of the things to try only once is the chocolate melting cake. A crew member told me it has about 1000 calories per serving!

I read in a cruise magazine the average passenger gains 3-4 lbs. on a 7-day cruise.

I rarely gain while cruising. I eat my share (and more); however, I do a lot of walking during the cruise....on the ship as well as in ports.;)

Has anyone ever put on a "few" extra pounds while on a cruise?:confused:

My weigh is about 230 pounds. Don't want to end my first cruise with more than that:eek:

You could try to lose 5-10 before the cruise

or

Take the stairs and maybe visit the gym

If you are planning to do lots of eating, chances are you are going to gain.

I usually lose weight on cruises, because I dont eat that much and hit the gym every day.

I tend to get pretty bloated on cruises due to the salt in all the food. I usually don't eat much salt in my normal diet. Like others have said, try to mix in fruit for a snack instead of fries, etc.

Something to keep in mind. Of course after a few days at home I am back to normal.

Has anyone ever put on a "few" extra pounds while on a cruise?:confused:

My weigh is about 230 pounds. Don't want to end my first cruise with more than that:eek:

If you love food and have little self control (on vacation anyway :D) you could gain some weight.

If you are indecisive and can't decide between two entrees in the MDR and you get both - same could hold with dessert.

I'm addicted to the Chevre pizza (goat cheese and wild mushrooms) and that's not a good thing as it is always available.

I eat a lot, but do take the stairs and also go for fast walks in the AM and I considering what I eat I make out well if I only gain a couple of pounds.

My DBF and I were on the Triumph in 2007. Our stateroom was on the 2nd deck and we took the stairs everywhere. :) We would make our drinks in our room and then climb the stairs to lido (7 decks I think) to get the juice to mix with our rum. Then hang out on lido til our cocktail needed a refill and repeated the process. We didnt overindulge and we dont like desserts that much so that made it pretty easy. We also didnt eat random meals inbetween meals. We didnt lose any weight on the cruise but thank god neither of us gained a single pound. Who knows...this time we may actually go to the gym. :eek:

The only time we took the elevators was on the last night. Got a little too tanked to trust ourselves climbing stairs. :o

My DBF and I were on the Triumph in 2007. Our stateroom was on the 2nd deck and we took the stairs everywhere. :) We would make our drinks in our room and then climb the stairs to lido (7 decks I think) to get the juice to mix with our rum. Then hang out on lido til our cocktail needed a refill and repeated the process. We didnt overindulge and we dont like desserts that much so that made it pretty easy. We also didnt eat random meals inbetween meals. We didnt lose any weight on the cruise but thank god neither of us gained a single pound. Who knows...this time we may actually go to the gym. :eek:

The only time we took the elevators was on the last night. Got a little too tanked to trust ourselves climbing stairs. :o

I agree - DH and I always take the stairs everywhere...that certainly helps. We are also very active at port - planning excursions where we will be moving a lot...hiking, ziplining, snorkelling...that helps too. We definitely indulge in drinks, dessert, and more than three meals a day, but all the activity does help. We also go dancing at night - which is definitely a work out!

I have also read that the Chocolate Melting Cake has about 1000 calories and 50 grams of fat. It is good, but that is extremely high in fat/calories!!! I try to limit myself to two of these per cruise - and then have other desserts on other nights.

Sometimes I have gained a pound or two, but back to pre-cruise weight very quickly!

We are also very active at port - planning excursions where we will be moving a lot...hiking, ziplining, snorkelling...that helps too. We definitely indulge in drinks,

We are planning on renting bikes in Key West, Snorkeling in Freeport and the Jeep adventure in Nassau (I may have this backwards :o) This will be our first cruise booking excursions and not just laying on the beach.

We definitely indulge in drinks too...starting with the cheap Bloody Mary's and at least one or two DOD's. SUGAR!!!! :D

Gained weight on a cruise? Is this a joke question? Have you ever noticed at the first of the week the elevators say "occupancy max 15 person" and then by the last few days it is changed to "occupancy max 12 person". That is telling me the ship knows you are gaining weight with each passing day. I'm in that 3 to 5 pound gain range.

If you spend a few hours hanging out at the "cow corral" on Lido deck buffet you can easily see why so many gain so much. I honesty think some believe the ship will run out of food before the end of the week so they are packing it in for the dry run. They don't help matters by allowing you to order all the escargo/lobster tails/melting cake you can eat. It's not uncommon to see people walking around on day 5 with busted out seams on their clothes.

I am with the others - take the stairs and walk walk walk - I am a fluffy woman and I did not begrude myself when I ate but it was all in portions. Just take a little less and fill in with salads and fruit. I would have a good breakfast if we were going on an excursion and a salad or fruit plate for lunch then whatever was being served for supper. I am not a big dessert person so I would have fruit and cheese. The pizza was a killer as we had it most nights after the show - goat cheese here I come. I either lost weight or gained at the most 2 pounds. Just pretend the elevators don't work.

On our 7 day cruise, I gained 7 pounds:eek: Oh my, a pound a day.

On the Victory(6 day) we walked a ton,so I only managed to gain 1 pound. Plus that's the cruise that I found out about the yummy ceaser salads at the pizza stand. So I was mostly eating salads instead of cheeseburgers:D

I gained 4 pounds on my last 7-day cruise. I had dessert every night, tea time on sea days, didn't visit the gym once (except to soak in the pool and hot tub), and often took the elevators because my mom can't climb stairs.

With all the eating, I thought for sure I'd have packed on at least twice that! But I guess you don't realize how much walking you do around the ship and the ports, or the activity you get from the pool and dancing. Plus, each night at dinner I tried to eat in moderation, rather than being a member of the clean plate club for each course. ;)

I think it depends on your 'normal' eating habits and how much you may 'change' them on your cruise. For example....my typical breakfast is probably a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit or yogurt...... On the ship you are given options such as bacon, sausages, home fries, eggs, pancakes, french toast etc.....If I were to have this kind of a breakfast for 7 days you can bet I would gain weight!:D

Also # of alcoholic beverages can affect weight gain - I am typically a very light drinker - and of course on the cruise I indulge in more drinks, and more frozen/sugary type drinks so that adds up as well. (Same goes for all othe rmeals/snacks.....)

I typically gain 3-4 lbs - however I do take stairs, do some 'active' excursions, and try to walk on the outside track and use the gym if possible..... As mentioned you can certainly make very healthy choices and eat limited quantities if you so choose? (On our 1st cruise my dh gained 10 lbs which kinda freaked him out! Next time he did LOTS of jogging on the track - and came home with only a 1 lb gain!).

Good luck!

Archived