Extra Pounds ?

Interrogation Room

Thought for sure I would gained at least 5 lbs since I was eating double my normal amount of food and then adding desserts. Couldn’t believe that I only gained 1 ounce !

The only thing reason I can think of is that we did some physical activities (3 snorkeling tours) and I was careful not to drink my calories (only had two Mango delicious something drinks). But still….. who know i was made for cruising !

I usually lose 2-3 pounds:p, DH usually gains 5-8 lbs:(. I try to do the stairs as much as possible and do more walking than I normally do at home (desk job - what can I say). I eat a good breakfast and usually just have a light lunch since I am usually still full from breakfast. At dinner I stick to 1 roll, 1or 2 appetizer/soup/salad depending on what they are serving, eat 1/2 of my main course (after the 2nd-3rd day the waiters stop asking if I don't like my food and if they could get me something else...apparently if you don't eat it all they assume you don't like it) and 1/2 of my desert (DD or DS usually grab the other 1/2 so it doesn't sit there and tempt me). By then I am usually full and set for the day. I rarely snack on the ship (don't even touch the ice cream or pizza), drink lots of ice tea, and have one (sometimes 2) alcoholic drinks a day.

Michelle1826,

I am trying the "cabbage soup diet" this week. Today is day #4, I haven't killed anybody yet.:) It's really not that bad, I've lost 5 lbs so far and hope to lose at least 10 this week. While I am not one to advocate "crash diets" per se, I don't think this one is that bad. It's mostly fruits and vegetables so it's not too strict.

Typically I eat healthy and hit the gym and cardio 3-4 times a week. So when I'm on a cruise...If I don't put on at least a pound a day, I feel like I'm cheating myself!! I spend everyday when I'm not on vacation trying to eat healthy and watch my weight.... NO WAY am I doing that on a cruise...if it doesn't run from me...I'm eating it! :D

Michelle1826,

I am trying the "cabbage soup diet" this week. Today is day #4, I haven't killed anybody yet.:) It's really not that bad, I've lost 5 lbs so far and hope to lose at least 10 this week. While I am not one to advocate "crash diets" per se, I don't think this one is that bad. It's mostly fruits and vegetables so it's not too strict.

KEEP THE WINDOWS OPEN!!!:eek::eek:

There is so much food on board - oh the temptation! But the really good news is that there are a lot of healthy choices. Fresh fruit is everywhere, and the salad bar is good. One of the things to try only once is the chocolate melting cake. A crew member told me it has about 1000 calories per serving!

:eek:Are you kidding me!!! 1000 calories per serving! I have one of those per day. How many servings are in one dessert?

On my first cruise after a few times trying to get an elevator we just used the stairs everywhere.My youngest son was in Camp Carnival,it always seemed when it was time to get him I was on the other side of the ship so did a lot of walking.I never felt overfull or bloated.Unless you are a "chair hog" you will get a lot of walking in and shouldn't gain to much.Also walked a lot in port.

I lost about 4lb on my cruise last week. And I've manaded to lose another 1.5 since getting back. Didn't really do anything too drastic. Managed to get around the jogging track for 5mi one day. Didn't go overboard on any of the food, though it was easy to see how one could.

I have another 40lb I'd like to lose, so I was happy I didn't go backwards, and ecstatic that I lost some weight lol. Just need to find a way to stay motivated to lose the weight before January's cruise. 6'3 210lb would look a lot better w/o a shirt than 6'3 250...

I always gain lbs during a cruise .. but i kno it myself so i always lose a few lbs prior to my cruise so i can fit into my clothes throughout the cruise :D

my goal for this upcoming cruise is to lose at least 5 lbs .. 10 would be great :p i hope it works out!

We take the stairs the whole time too. It seemed to help last time. I have cut back on portions and eliminated bread, pasta and rice which due to some weird gastro issue upsets my stomach anyway. Cool. Forced diet. I am increasing my water and have my butt at the gym everyday after work. Bought some 5lb weights and while I watch tv am using them. I just wanna look cute in my bikini. Is that so much to ask?? :rolleyes:

When I went on the 5-day cruise I went on in October, I didn't gain any weight. Well, maybe a pound or so, but nothing that didn't come off once I got back to shore and worked out a little harder for a week or so.

The real trick is to walk a lot around the ship, always take the stairs, and drink water/limit alcohol. Another thing I did with all the food, was I tried everything but didn't really eat a whole bunch of anything.

There is so much food on board - oh the temptation! But the really good news is that there are a lot of healthy choices. Fresh fruit is everywhere, and the salad bar is good. One of the things to try only once is the chocolate melting cake. A crew member told me it has about 1000 calories per serving!

That explains it! I did not gain any weight on my first cruise, but definitely did on the Legend. Three meals a day, I mean , MEALS a day, and the elevator was close to the cabin, and there are so many on the Legend that I never had a problem finding one not full of people. On the Sensation, the elevators were always sooo crowded, I used the stairs and didn't feel guilty at all for eating. And I didn't eat three meals a day.

Use the stairs. Walk around on the ship, figure out how to get a good long walk in, several times around the jogging trail (16 i think make a mile) or was it 32? Do some excursions that require swimming, and you wont see the weight come on. Happy cruising and enjoy(even the chocolate melting cake)!:D

I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't get fat by eating one bad week and you won't get thin being good one week. It's the whole journey added together that counts. I've lost almost 100lbs over the last few years. That included lots of vacations, some ups, some downs. Doesnt' matter if you stick to an overall healthy eating pattern you'll see the long term results you want. No reason to binge for a week but no reason to feel deprived either.

I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't get fat by eating one bad week and you won't get thin being good one week. It's the whole journey added together that counts. I've lost almost 100lbs over the last few years. That included lots of vacations, some ups, some downs. Doesnt' matter if you stick to an overall healthy eating pattern you'll see the long term results you want. No reason to binge for a week but no reason to feel deprived either.

Nicely put! :):)

I gain about 10 lbs a cruise, but i usually lose about 8 of it a week after i get back to normal life.

Hot, humid climates contribute to a bit of the weight gain...I know my legs swell worse but I also have a medical condition...but from what I've seen the weight gained typically does "come off" after returning home...so as other said salty food, drinks, probably mostly water weight gain.

My last cruise I gained about 12 pounds on in 7 days, most of that was because my wife and I left the kids at home and went with our friends so we drank all day every day. I also put weight on and off really quick, I think I lost in back in about 5 days.

Nope, with all the pigging out, all the foo foo drinks and beers and laying around we do on a cruise, nope, we actually lose weight:D

Has anyone ever put on a "few" extra pounds while on a cruise?:confused:

My weigh is about 230 pounds. Don't want to end my first cruise with more than that:eek:

I took my first cruise by my self and had heard u will gain weight iam big enough weighing 275 i lost 8lbs on the cruise i was baffled! I still ate i got only what i knew i could eat, people got like 3 plates and wasted all that food! I ate chocolate melting cake every night i ate often but i ran around that boat like a little kid from the time i woke up till about 2am (watching waves crash against boat rough weather) u can wait for elevator but it takes forever and a day , so stairs were a breeze! i was not trying to lose any weight but was shocked i did with booze , buffet, chocolate melting cake! it up to the person. all i say is dont let ur eyes be bigger than ur stomach , dont waste food, go back for more if ur hungry!

I'm sure you ment to say "only once A DAY" :D

Archived