Help with Husband & Son's Attire for Casual Night

KLTCRUISER

We are sailing on the Liberty on 3/6! Just curious for anyone who has cruised lately. Would tan cargo type shorts qualify as long dress shorts? Would he get away with wearing leather sandles or leather flip flops with the cargo shorts? Thanks for any advise from recent cruisers!

Not true arush5268d...The following is the information off off the Carnival website where it clearly states shorts are allowed and it says nothing about no open toed shoes for men!

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

I am just asking for clarification as to if cargo shorts would qualify as dress shorts!

Not true arush5268d...The following is the information off off the Carnival website where it clearly states shorts are allowed and it says nothing about no open toed shoes for men!

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

I am just asking for clarification as to if cargo shorts would qualify as dress shorts!

Cargo shorts are hardly dress shorts

We are sailing on the Liberty on 3/6! Just curious for anyone who has cruised lately. Would tan cargo type shorts qualify as long dress shorts? Would he get away with wearing leather sandles or leather flip flops with the cargo shorts? Thanks for any advise from recent cruisers!

I've worn cargo shorts on the casual nights for my past 3 cruises without a problem. Saw lots of others wearing them too. The only people you will find concerned with the definition of "dress shorts" will be on this board. :cool:

arush5268d...you have given your opinion...Thanks for that...I think!

I am asking the opinion of those who have recently cruised to see what they have seen as a norm! Thanks to those who don't want to be critical but just want to give their opinion on what they have seen lately.

arush5268d...you have given your opinion...Thanks for that...I think!

I am asking the opinion of those who have recently cruised to see what they have seen as a norm! Thanks to those who don't want to be critical but just want to give their opinion on what they have seen lately.

Wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to give you a direct answer on my views.

I agree. Cargo shorts are not dress shorts.

I still think that the dining room should be treated as a fine dining establishment. If you want to wear shorts and such, go to the Lido deck. :cool:

Agreed. While yes, it is 'your' vacation....have some respect for the food, dining staff and hardworkin chefs.

I agree. Cargo shorts are not dress shorts.

I still think that the dining room should be treated as a fine dining establishment. If you want to wear shorts and such, go to the Lido deck. :cool:

There were plenty of cargo shorts in the dining room on the Destiny this past week. As far as fine dining, I think having the servers jumping up on the serving stations doing Chippendale's imitations during the singing and dancing pandemonium sort of closes that door :rolleyes: My experience is that the Lido Deck buffet is actually more refined at dinner time than the MDR!

There were plenty of cargo shorts in the dining room on the Destiny this past week. As far as fine dining, I think having the servers jumping up on the serving stations doing Chippendale's imitations during the singing and dancing pandemonium sort of closes that door :rolleyes: My experience is that the Lido Deck buffet is actually more refined at dinner time than the MDR!

Keep in mind...there is fair warning that the singing and dancing is about to start, so there is time to exit the MDR before it starts. I'd rather see the singing and dancing then to see some man at the next table dressed like he was hanging out by the pool all day. :cool:

Keep in mind...there is fair warning that the singing and dancing is about to start, so there is time to exit the MDR before it starts. I'd rather see the singing and dancing then to see some man at the next table dressed like he was hanging out by the pool all day. :cool:

I'd rather see neither, so let's not make them mutually exclusive. ;)

And give up my chocolate melting cake and coffee? NEVER :D

As long as I don't have to see armpit hair at dinner, I could care less what anyone is wearing, which is one reason that Carnival is a decent fit for me.

Cargo shorts are not dress shorts....but yes, I've seen lots of guys "get away" with it.

Ditto. I wore cargo shorts every night for dinner (except formal night). I think Khaki colored shorts would probably be a better description than formal shorts. Just make sure they're not completely tattered or have holes in them. They still wouldn't kick you out, but I would hope you'd feel a little embarrassed looking like a slum.

I don't know any guy that wears "dress shorts" the instyle shorts are

the long shorts that have the large pockets, which are classified as

"cargo shorts". Guys look funny wearing plain dress shorts. I would

say that "cargo shorts" are fine. I think Carnival meant that if a guy

wears shorts in the dining room, they are not to be "short shorts" which

really look funny on a guy. :eek:

Archived