Greek Economy could affect travel plans

Fblack

[quote name='lurvecruise']hey tiyana4
sorry to hear that Jade cxl port in Greece but just curious what ports did they reroute?:D[/quote]

We stopped in Heraklion (Crete), Greece. This turned out to be a great alternative.....but I admit that I really wanted to see Athens. The irony of it all is that we still came face-to-face with protestors/demostrations as we attempted to cross a street in downtown. We were delayed for some time as they blocked intersections and city streets. We were held up later in our vehicle as they blocked other sections of the city. It was all nonviolent, but this and the strikes were the very things were were trying to avoid by skipping Piraeus.

I will say that Crete is still a lovely place to visit.

[quote name='tiyana4']We stopped in Heraklion (Crete), Greece. This turned out to be a great alternative.....but I admit that I really wanted to see Athens. The irony of it all is that we still came face-to-face with protestors/demostrations as we attempted to cross a street in downtown. We were delayed for some time as they blocked intersections and city streets. We were held up later in our vehicle as they blocked other sections of the city. It was all nonviolent, but this and the strikes were the very things were were trying to avoid by skipping Piraeus. I will say that Crete is still a lovely place to visit.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]THANKS for the update on your experiences in Greece! Sorry you missed Athens. Glad to hear that Crete was lovely.

From Thursday, here is this headline: [B][I]"Minor Clashes Occur during Students' Protest in Front of Greek Parliament"[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"A mass rally in Athens of students protesting against government austerity measures ended up in minor clashes with anti-riot police in front of the Greek parliament on Thursday afternoon. Police dispersed the young protesters using tear gas, when a group of students close to extreme Left parties tried to get closer to the parliament building in the center of Athens. According to the latest information, at least four protesters were detained. Students staged the Thursday demonstration to protest against reforms and cutbacks that affect the education sector in debt- ridden Greece."[/I]

Full story at:
[url]http://english.cri.cn/6966/2010/12/03/1461s608282.htm[/url]

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 25,400 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]
[url]www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]From the Reuters newswire earlier today, they have this headline: [B][I]"Greek police clash with anti-austerity protesters"[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"Greek protesters clashed with police and set fire to cars and a hotel in central Athens on Wednesday as tens of thousands marched against austerity measures aimed at pulling the country out of a debt crisis. Riot police responded with dozens of rounds of teargas in clashes that lasted more than an hour in the biggest and most violent march since three people died in protests in May."[/I]

This story also gave these added details: [I]"[B]Striking public and private sector workers grounded flights, shut down schools and paralysed public transport[/B] and about 50,000 marched through the capital. Some shouted: 'Revolt! Overturn government measures!' "[/I]

Full story at:
[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6BD2FH20101215[/url]

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 26,350 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Not trying to be too negative, but here is latest on Greece and its economic challenges. From the Reuters newswire yesterday, they have this headline: [B][I]"Greeks protest before 2011 austerity budget vote"[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"Thousands took to the streets of Athens on Wednesday to protest against the 2011 Greek budget which imposes yet more austerity on the debt-choked nation, but parliament was set to pass the bill later in the day anyway. Public transport ground to a halt in the capital as about 3,000 protesters rallied peacefully in front of parliament shouting 'We can't take it any more.' "[/I]

Another key story highlight: [I]"The new spending cuts and tax rises in next year's budget have failed to calm fears about Greece's ability to pull itself out of a debt crisis that has shaken the entire euro zone. [B]Fitch agency said late on Tuesday it may cut the country's credit rating next month to junk[/B]."[/I]

Full story at:
[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BL1NK20101222[/url]

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 27,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]

On our NCL Jade cruise we're scheduled to stop in Athens in late January, 2011. Hopefully things will have quieted down or else it appears that the ship would be diverted to Crete. How far in advance were you advised that your ship will be diverted?

[quote name='dabear']On our NCL Jade cruise we're scheduled to stop in Athens in late January, 2011. Hopefully things will have quieted down or else it appears that the ship would be diverted to Crete. How far in advance were you advised that your ship will be diverted?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Some strikes in Europe are known more in advance. Others just "POP UP" based on something their legislature is going to do or considering, etc. [B][I]Even if there is a strike in some part of Athens, that doesn't shut everything down. [/I][/B] Play it by ear and hopefully things will work out. With NCL, they are a fair large group of ships and their management should be watching things carefully. GOOD LUCK!

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 27,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]

[quote name='TLCOhio'][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Some strikes in Europe are known more in advance. Others just "POP UP" based on something their legislature is going to do or considering, etc. [B][I]Even if there is a strike in some part of Athens, that doesn't shut everything down. [/I][/B] Play it by ear and hopefully things will work out. With NCL, they are a fair large group of ships and their management should be watching things carefully. GOOD LUCK!

[url]www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/url][/QUOTE]

makes sense. Thanks. We can always hire a taxi at the last minute if we dock in Crete.

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Coming this Sunday in the New York Times Magazine, they have this headline: [B][I]"Can Europe Be Saved?"[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"There's something peculiarly apt about the fact that the current European crisis began in Greece. For [B]Europe’s woes have all the aspects of a classical Greek tragedy[/B], in which a man of noble character is undone by the fatal flaw of hubris. Not long ago Europeans could, with considerable justification, say that the current economic crisis was actually demonstrating the advantages of their economic and social model."[/I]

The author of this in-depth analysis is Paul Krugman, a Times columnist and winner of the 2008 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. His latest book is “The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008.” There is much history of the euro, how its planning/roots started in 1950. He notes: [I]"as democracy spread within Europe, so did Europe’s unifying economic institutions. Greece, Spain and Portugal were brought in after the fall of their dictatorships; Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism."[/I]

A key point for his piece is: [I]"The tragedy of the Euromess is that the creation of the euro was supposed to be the finest moment in a grand and noble undertaking: the generations-long effort to bring peace, democracy and shared prosperity to a once and frequently war-torn continent. But the architects of the euro, [B]caught up in their project’s sweep and romance, chose to ignore the mundane difficulties a shared currency would predictably encounter[/B] — to ignore warnings, which were issued right from the beginning, that Europe lacked the institutions needed to make a common currency workable. Instead, they engaged in magical thinking, acting as if the nobility of their mission transcended such concerns."[/I]

As you prepare and plan for cruises in Greece and/or other parts of Europe, this story gives important background to understand what has been happening in Europe economically and why. Interesting read and very educational.

You can see the full story at:
[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/magazine/16Europe-t.html?_r=1&hp[/url]

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 29,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]From the New York Times today, they have this headline: [B][I]"As Europe Toils on Debt, U.S. and Japan Watch Nervously"[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"For all their differences, the big, rich economies of the world are confronted by stark similarities. Each has a mountain of debt that is proving harder and harder to support, given the way their societies are structured. Trapped by aging populations, underfunded pensions and social security commitments, their dilemma is in sharp contrast to the current vigor and youth of emerging economies. China and India may have growing pains — but debt is not one of them."[/I]

Much of this story is based on reporting from the Davos, Switzerland, financial conference and the reactions and analysis about the fiscal crisis in Europe. [B][I]It reflects the problems in Greece may be only the beginning.[/I][/B] The writer notes: [I]"The debt debacle that erupted last year in Greece and Ireland threatens not just Europe’s economic stability. It has also revived longstanding questions about whether the United States and Japan, weighed down by their own debt, are heading for a moment of truth."[/I] A number of key economists are quoted, drawing comments such as "investors are scrutinizing nearly every country with high debt — with potentially bewildering consequences."

[B]Interesting, insightful and informative background.[/B]

Full story at:
[url]http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/01/26/as-europe-toils-on-debt-u-s-and-japan-watch-nervously/?hp[/url]

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 30,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]From the New York Times today, they have this headline: [B][I]"What’s Broken in Greece? Ask an Entrepreneur"[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"The Greek economy is riddled with distortions — the number of trucking licenses has remained unchanged in Greece since 1971, for example, and the country is among the world’s leaders in lawyers per capita. It has one lawyer for every 250 people, compared with about one for 272 in the United States. The effect on Greek competitiveness could not be more pernicious. [B]The cost of labor in Greece from 2005 to 2010 has been, on average, 25 percent higher than in Germany[/B], according to a recent analysis by Variant Perception, a research firm based in London. (Ireland, Portugal and Spain also have relatively high labor costs.) Quite simply, Greece has had trouble producing goods and services that people want to buy — a result being a persistently high trade deficit that even now, amid the deepest of recessions, has hardly budged."[/I]

This in-depth analysis gives much more of the back story on parts of the economic problems in Greece. Here is another key highlight: [I]"For decades, Greece has been a wonderful place to be a lawyer, a pharmacist, an architect, a university president or even a truck driver— all [B]occupations protected by an array of laws that have shielded them from local and foreign competitors.[/B] Greek pharmacists are guaranteed a minimum profit on their sales and charge some of the highest prices in Europe. And because they have fixed minimum fees, the 40,000 or so lawyers in Greece receive more for their time than their peers in many other European countries."[/I]

Full story at:
[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/business/30greek.html?hp[/url]

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. [B]This posting is now over 30,360 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”. [/B]

• 4 weeks later...

Things have been quiet in Greece late and very "busy" in other parts of the world. BUT . . . from the AP news wire today, they have this headline: "Greek riot police, protesters clash during strike" with these highlights: "Young demonstrators hurled rocks and fire bombs at riot police as clashes broke out Wednesday in Athens during a mass rally against austerity measures, part of a general strike that crippled services and public transportation around the country. Police fired tear gas and flash grenades at protesters, blanketing parts of the city center in choking smoke. A police officer was attacked and his uniform caught fire in the city's main Syntagma Square, and his motorcycle was burned. At least two people were injured and another three arrested. One group of rioting youths smashed paving stones in front of the central Bank of Greece. More than 30,000 protesters attended the Athens rally, which had been calm before the clashes. Protesters chanting 'Don't obey the rich - Fight back!' marched to parliament as the city center was heavily policed."

Full story at:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110223/D9LIG4900.html

For those with upcoming cruises to cruise to Greece, let's hope that things settle down and not get like Egypt, etc. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

From the Wall Street Journal today, they have this headline: "Moody's Downgrades Greece" with these highlights: "Moody's Investor Service Inc. on Monday slashed Greece's credit rating by three notches and signaled it could cut it even further, dragging the European sovereign deeper into junk-grade territory. Moody's acknowledged progress that Greece has made in fiscal consolidation and structural reforms, but warned that the changes needed to stabilize Greece's debts remain 'very ambitious' and face 'significant implementation risks.' It also cited a risk that Greece would be unable to satisfy the conditions required for continued support from official sources after 2013, which could lead to a restructuring of existing debt."

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703386704576185822223993858.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully things will go well for all cruising later this spring and summer and fall to Greece, but here is a little more details on their current economic situation.

From the AP newswire within the last few hours today, they have this headline: "Greek PM: Ratings agencies running our lives" with these highlights: "Greece's prime minister has lashed out at credit ratings agencies, as borrowing rates in the crisis-hit country at record levels threaten plans to return to the bond markets next year. Major rating agencies have all relegated Greek bond status to below investment grade amid the continuing debt crisis. The move has angered the government which argues the fiscal benefits of its austerity program are being ignored. Yields on 10-year Greek bonds rose above 15 percent, compared with the German benchmark rate of 3.27 percent."

Full story at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gXVOXv63k4RT8thlLeP9zpKMHgrw?docId=481394dcda814ac2a968637cf99f7013

From the smartmoney.com yesterday, they have this headline: "Travelers Find Deals Amid Financial Crises" with these highlights: "Greece must recover dually from damage to its economy resulting in a record $144.5 billion in emergency loans last year -- and its reputation for safety after economic recovery austerity measures led to strikes and violent riots. Tourism revenue fell 9% last year, to roughly $75.4 billion, but still accounts for a fifth of Greece's economy. Chryssanthos Petsilas, a spokesman for the Greek National Tourism Organization, said the 500,000 Americans who visited the country last year represented a 5% drop. To counteract the loss and attract more visitors this year, the government has reduced hotel value-added tax from 11% to 6.5%. That can add up to $100 or more saved over the course of a weeklong visit."

Full story at:

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/travel/4-spots-for-financial-crisis-tourism-1303333974131/

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,270 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

• 2 weeks later...

From the German publications Spiegel today, they have this headline: "Athens Mulls Plans for New Currency. Greece Considers Exit from Euro Zone" with these highlights: "Greece's economic problems are massive, with protests against the government being held almost daily. Now Prime Minister George Papandreou apparently feels he has no other option: SPIEGEL ONLINE has obtained information from German government sources knowledgeable of the situation in Athens indicating that Papandreou's government is considering abandoning the euro and reintroducing its own currency. Alarmed by Athens' intentions, the European Commission has called a crisis meeting in Luxembourg on Friday night. Given the tense situation, the meeting in Luxembourg has been declared highly confidential, with only the euro-zone finance ministers and senior staff members permitted to attend. Should Athens turn its back on the common currency zone, it would have serious implications for the already wobbly banking sector, particularly in Greece itself. "

Per other media reports, the euro lost more than 1%. to US, going down to $1.438 after this German magazine Der Spiegel report.

Full story at:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,761201,00.html

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,520 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

From http://WWW.ekathimerini.gr

Greece was forced to deny on Friday that it has any intention of leaving the eurozone or that it was discussing a potential exit with its European partners after a report in Germany suggested finance ministers were meeting in Luxembourg to talk about Athens reverting to the drachma.

Spiegel Online reported that Greece had raised the prospect of an exit with other countries. Quoting “German government sources knowledgeable of the situation in Athens,” the Internet version of the German weekly news magazine said eurozone finance ministers were meeting on Friday evening to discuss Greece’s situation, and that a possible restructuring of its debt as well as the issue of leaving the 17-member bloc would be on the agenda of the meeting.

“The report about Greece leaving the eurozone is untrue,” Deputy Finance Minister Filippos Sachinidis told Reuters minutes after the Spiegel report appeared on the Internet. “Such reports undermine Greece and the euro and serve market speculation games.”

A few minutes later, the Finance Ministry issued a formal rejection of the claims. “An article published today concerning the possible exit of Greece from the eurozone is not only completely untrue but also written with incomprehensible flippancy despite repeated denials by the Greek government as well as other EU member states.”

The euro fell sharply on the foreign exchange markets in late trading and Athens said that the claims made by Spiegel Online were damaging for Greece and the single currency. “Such articles are not only provocative but also highly irresponsible as they undermine Greece’s efforts and those of the eurozone and serve only the interests of speculators,” said the Finance Ministry.

Greece’s assertion that no secret meeting was taking place in Luxembourg was backed up by other eurozone members. “I totally deny that there is a meeting, these reports are totally wrong,” Guy Schuller, a spokesman for Jean-Claude Juncker, head of the group of eurozone finance ministers, told Reuters.

A spokesman for the Austrian Finance Ministry said a breakup of the bloc would be “absolutely unthinkable.” “Austria is a member of the eurozone, we know of no such meeting and haven’t been invited, so I conclude that there is no such meeting because I do not believe there can be a eurozone meeting without Austria,” spokesman Thomas Waiglein said.

However, a source told Reuters that some EU ministers were meeting in Luxembourg on Friday to review issues such as Portugal, Greece and European Central Bank leadership, «but nothing more».

German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble and his deputy Joerg Asmussen were at the meeting, according to Reuters.

Amadeu Altafaj Tardio, spokesman for the EU's monetary affairs commissioner, Olli Rehn, said he did not know anything about the emergency finance ministers meeting in Luxembourg, reportedly called by the European Commission, the EU's executive.

However, a spokesman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said a prearranged meeting was taking place but did not specify where and stressed it had nothing to do with Greece leaving the euro.

“Greece exiting the Eurozone is not on the agenda of that meeting, and it has never been,” Steffen Seibert said.

http://WWW.ekathimerini.gro

From http://WWW.ekathimerini.com

Greece was forced to deny on Friday that it has any intention of leaving the eurozone or that it was discussing a potential exit with its European partners after a report in Germany suggested finance ministers were meeting in Luxembourg to talk about Athens reverting to the drachma.

Spiegel Online reported that Greece had raised the prospect of an exit with other countries. Quoting “German government sources knowledgeable of the situation in Athens,” the Internet version of the German weekly news magazine said eurozone finance ministers were meeting on Friday evening to discuss Greece’s situation, and that a possible restructuring of its debt as well as the issue of leaving the 17-member bloc would be on the agenda of the meeting.

“The report about Greece leaving the eurozone is untrue,” Deputy Finance Minister Filippos Sachinidis told Reuters minutes after the Spiegel report appeared on the Internet. “Such reports undermine Greece and the euro and serve market speculation games.”

A few minutes later, the Finance Ministry issued a formal rejection of the claims. “An article published today concerning the possible exit of Greece from the eurozone is not only completely untrue but also written with incomprehensible flippancy despite repeated denials by the Greek government as well as other EU member states.”

The euro fell sharply on the foreign exchange markets in late trading and Athens said that the claims made by Spiegel Online were damaging for Greece and the single currency. “Such articles are not only provocative but also highly irresponsible as they undermine Greece’s efforts and those of the eurozone and serve only the interests of speculators,” said the Finance Ministry.

Greece’s assertion that no secret meeting was taking place in Luxembourg was backed up by other eurozone members. “I totally deny that there is a meeting, these reports are totally wrong,” Guy Schuller, a spokesman for Jean-Claude Juncker, head of the group of eurozone finance ministers, told Reuters.

A spokesman for the Austrian Finance Ministry said a breakup of the bloc would be “absolutely unthinkable.” “Austria is a member of the eurozone, we know of no such meeting and haven’t been invited, so I conclude that there is no such meeting because I do not believe there can be a eurozone meeting without Austria,” spokesman Thomas Waiglein said.

However, a source told Reuters that some EU ministers were meeting in Luxembourg on Friday to review issues such as Portugal, Greece and European Central Bank leadership, «but nothing more».

German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble and his deputy Joerg Asmussen were at the meeting, according to Reuters.

Amadeu Altafaj Tardio, spokesman for the EU's monetary affairs commissioner, Olli Rehn, said he did not know anything about the emergency finance ministers meeting in Luxembourg, reportedly called by the European Commission, the EU's executive.

However, a spokesman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said a prearranged meeting was taking place but did not specify where and stressed it had nothing to do with Greece leaving the euro.

“Greece exiting the Eurozone is not on the agenda of that meeting, and it has never been,” Steffen Seibert said.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_15006_06/05/2011_389960

Thanks to MANURULES for posting the added info. Below is the story from a hour ago from the Reuters newswire. Headline is "Greek PM denies country will leave euro" with this highlight: "Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou on Saturday denied there was even unofficial discussion over Greece quitting the euro zone and asked that his troubled country be 'left alone to finish its task.' "

Only time will tell the "real truth". When political people move their lips and deny, you never know for sure what is the honest story. Initially, Greece, Spain, etc., said they had no problem and didn't need any loans or bail-outs.

Full story at:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/07/us-greece-eurozone-idUSTRE74614Y20110507

Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,590 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

From the New York Times and Reuters newswire today, they have this headline: "E.U. Looks to Ease Terms for Greece and Ireland" with these highlights: "The European Union is looking to lower interest rates on bailout loans to Greece and Ireland and is working on a second rescue for Athens in a chaotic effort to prevent a disorderly debt restructuring. The efforts were in motion as Standard & Poor’s lowered its rating on Greece’s debt even further. Greece, whose fiscal slippages set off Europe’s debt crisis, is rated junk by all three major rating agencies. The calls within the European Union for lower interest rates for Greece and Ireland came after a select group of top euro zone policy makers held not-so-secret talks in Luxembourg on Friday evening on how to stem the currency bloc’s deepening sovereign debt crisis. The cost of insuring Greek, Irish and Portuguese debt against default rose further on Monday as market jitters intensified over the risk that Greece may have to restructure its debt, forcing investors to take losses."

The euro has dropped down to $1.427 right now with all of this financial uncertainty and challenges.

A Wall Street Journal story now has this key headline/highlight: "Euro Nations Divided Over Greek Debt: Europe's debt crisis has returned full circle to the problem that started it over a year ago: How to save the malfunctioning Greek state from running out of money. Europe's debt crisis has returned full circle to the problem that started it over a year ago: How to save the malfunctioning Greek state from running out of money. Greece has been slipping farther behind its targets for cutting its budget deficit and is expected to need nearly €30 billion ($43 billion) of extra financing for 2012, according to euro-zone officials."

The economics are not good in Greece and seem that they will keep shifting/shaking, but hopefully all will be smooth for those visiting on cruises this spring and summer and fall.

Full stories at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/business/global/10euro.html?_r=1&hp

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704681904576310903867359240.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,720 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We just returned from a trip that included a week of travelling throughout Crete by rental car. We did not experince any issues during our travel, or on our flights in and out of Heraklion (from Gatwick). Nor did we encounter any other tourists who had issues in Crete.

• 1 month later...

Hope that things get better in Greece and Athens. It seems that this week could be a key one for what happens during the rest of the summer. Lots of tensions, but my sense is that they will "patch it up" to prevent a bigger meltdown. Good luck to those visiting Greece this summer.

From the Wall Street Journal today, they have this headline: "European Bankers Tackle Greece Debt Plan" with these highlights: "European bankers hope to come up with the principles of a plan for Greece's debt crisis by July 3, but they may not have agreed on the details by then. Bankers gathered in Rome on Monday to discuss plans for Greece. The French plan calls for private creditors to halve their exposure to Greece by rolling over about half the Greek government bonds they hold. Governments and bankers are aiming to organize an orderly intervention of private creditors in the resolution of Greece's debt crisis. Ideally, this would appease opposition—especially in Germany—to another publicly-funded bailout of Greece."

From the NY Times today: "French Banks Ready to Help Greek Bailout" with these details: "French banks are ready to participate in the rescue of Greece by extending the maturity of their holdings of debt issued by that country. A vote on the Greece’s latest austerity measures is scheduled for Tuesday, to be followed by another vote Thursday on separate legislation to implement the reforms."

Full stories at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304314404576411730186291402.html?mod=WSJ_Markets_BelowLiveUpdates

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/business/global/28iht-euro.html?hp

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now over 14,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 44,600 views.

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

In my opinion, Greece will probably have to leave the eurozone. It is just a matter of time.

With your comment above, most seem to agree that it will happen. When, is the question!! Right now, they want to hold together the euro, not create a "panic" and hope to protect the banks in Germany, France, etc., from losing too much to cause wider Europe and world economic problems.

From the BBC news wire in the last 30 minutes, they have this headline: "Greece protest against austerity package turns violent" with these highlights: "Police have fired tear gas in running battles with stone-throwing youths in Athens, where a 48-hour general strike is being held against a parliamentary vote on tough austerity measures. Thousands of protesters have gathered outside parliament in the capital where public transport has ground to a halt."

Here are more details: "The general strike has halted most public services, banks are closed and hospitals are operating on skeleton staff. Airports are shutting for hours at a time, with air traffic controllers walking out between 0800 and 1200 (0500-0900 GMT) and 1800 and 2200 (1500-1900 GMT). A number of flights were also cancelled at Athens international airport. Trains, buses and ferries are also affected. The unions are angry that the government's austerity programme will impose taxes on those earning the minimum wage, following months of other cuts which have seen unemployment rise to more than 16%."

Lots of details and background in the BBC story. Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13935400

Plus more from these recent news items:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3256042.htm

The on-site ABC reporter said: "People who are based here are telling us that they haven't seen conflict like this in three years."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/06/28/greece.indignants.protest/

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE75R10E20110628

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Thanks for all the updates. For those planning to port in Athens, what might be really helpful is an idea of what this really means in "crass tourist" terms.

If PUBLIC transportation is shut down---are private taxis and double decker buses still running? or is it like a general strike where the only option is exhorbitant rickshaws or donkeys

Are tourist areas targeted? e.g. do they shut down tourist entry to the Acropolis or simply have soldiers with machine guns around as stepped up security

Are tourists targeted? beyond the usual pickpocketing, are they specifically heckling those in Hawaiian shirts with cameras and preventing them from reaching tourist spots

Are other services open (food/drinks/shopping/hospitals/banks)? I assume they aren't trying to vandalize ATMs or prevent people from walking into malls

Is this confined to Athens? worst case scenario, skip Athens and go to another island or spend an extra day in Crete

Anything else? Just trying to get a sense of what to expect---I have some experience with political turmoil in third world countries but none about the Greek variety.

For those planning to port in Athens, what might be really helpful is an idea of what this really means in "crass tourist" terms.

This is from today's NY TIMES:

"The strike was aimed at halting all public transportation for two days except the Athens subway, which was running to allow Greeks to attend the demonstrations. The strike also hit the tourism sector, as air traffic controllers called two work stoppages on Tuesday morning and from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Wednesday. At the country’s main port of Piraeus protesting dockworkers formed a blockade on Tuesday morning, leaving tourists unable to board ferries to the Aegean islands. After a peaceful start, in which thousands of demonstrators converged without incident on Syntagma Square in front of Parliament in the early afternoon the situation changed suddenly, with groups of youths on the fringes of a rally throwing rocks, firebombs and firecrackers. Security forces fired multiple rounds of tear gas to thin out the crowds, sending the youths and other demonstrators fleeing into side streets. A police spokesman said it was too early to estimate the size of the demonstration and had no information about injuries."

I don't know, Illinois has certainly had their share of corruption. Let's see, one Governor in jail for fraud and corruption, and another just found guilty of 17/20 counts-and will probably get upwards of 5 years in jail.

Why on earth would anyone equate a socialist government to a corrupt government??? Lot of examples of the opposite on this side of the pond.

Archived