Beware Barcelona metro.

saddleman

I also had a Pacsafe bag on my recent Med cruise... but don't let a "safe" bag get you to drop your guard...

I went on the BCN metro to see the Magic Fountains pre-cruise with a group from our CC roll call. I watched a group of young pickpockets board our carriage on the train and check all of us out very carefully. No matter how hard we tried to disguise it they could easily tell we were tourists... We all had our bags hidden or tightly secured in our hands or under our arms and the men had their hands in their pockets protecting their wallets.

At the next stop the pickpockets got off the train, and re-boarded the same train in another carriage. Sadly I think the key is to try not to be the easiest target in the room !! And don't wear a backpack !!

Be very aware of your surroundings and protect yourself and your belongings at all times and you will be fine.

During a cruise stop in Barcelona, we were walking down a street in a quiet area when a plaster like substance splattered down from a construction site. A young man ran out, apologized and wiped the plaster stuff off DH's face. When the young man left, it suddenly hit me and I told DH to check for his wallet. It was gone. I had money so we quickly took a taxi back to the ship and phoned our VISA company. In that half hour an airline flight had been charged to our credit card. We cancelled our card but it took a while to get the charge reversed. Now DH uses a safety pin to block anyone getting to his wallet.

My husband also lost his wallet to pickpockets in the metro in Barcelona. And he even had the wallet in his front pocket. They were a well dressed middle-aged couple plus another well dressed man. We realized what was happening, but were unable to stop them in time. Everywhere we went on our cruise ship we heard stories of others who had been robbed.

Just got off the nine day western cruise on the Jade. We had a great time, met some really nice people, and have no complaints with NCL. This was my third cruise with them in the last twelve months, and other than Noro possibilities, it was fine.

Except for the Barcelona metro! Instead of taxis, we tried the metro. Lots of ups and downs through their system, but manageable. The problem was pick pockets. I was hit two days in a row by the thieves. Not much cash lost, as I kept a little money in my front pants pocket. But, the second day They got to my money belt hanging from my neck and inside my shirt. This was a scam all the way as we were crowded into an elevator, and robbed while being bustled about. Once again, not much money was taken. They even dropped my credit cards and drivers license to the ground in their own pouch. They wanted cash only.

So beware the Barcelona metro. If I ever go back, it will be taxis only. More expensive, but a whole lot safer.

Saddleman

I was with Saddleman when this occurred. We had purchased the Barcelona pass; it seemed reasonable and we would not need to be opening our purse or wallet. So, this did not occur at the ticket machines. My grandmother taught me to put money where no one will reach for it -- worked perfectly throughout the trip. But, Bob was lifted twice. After the first occurance, the receptionist at Majorica gave me a shopping bag to put in the top of my purse as a barrier. The second time five were working together - near Familia Sagrada. We fell into their ploy. They separated us with other people in the elevator, crowding us on. They took Bob's glasses and $40. Dropped his credit card case on the ground -- intact. I checked my purse and one of the drawstring knots was untied --thanks to the lady at Majorica nothing was missing. Ladies, keep your money close to your chest and the remainder in the room safe or in the ship safe. Grandma knows best.

While I think it's great to try and not look like a tourist, if you are holding a camera....well, obviously you are a tourist.

My husband has a digital SLR and bought a pac safe strap for it so it can't be cut. He wears the strap bandallaro style and always has at least one hand on his camera.

While I carry a purse, it only has in it things like maps, a pen, paper, tissues, etc. Nothing valuable.

Both of us use Eagle's hidden pocket. Placed behind a front pocket, any bulge looks simply like there is something in your pocket. And to get at it, a pickpocket would, literally, have to get their hand into the waistband of your pants.

But I do have one question...one poster mentioned not taking passports off the ship....I thought one SHOULD take them in case something happened, they didn't make it to the ship in time, and had to fly to another port (i.e. country)...any advise on this?

But I do have one question...one poster mentioned not taking passports off the ship....I thought one SHOULD take them in case something happened, they didn't make it to the ship in time, and had to fly to another port (i.e. country)...any advise on this?

You are going to get a 50/50 split on this. We never take ours off the ship because we feel the odds of it being lost/stolen are greater than the odds of us missing the ship. Someday we may regret this decision but we take precautions that we won't miss the ship. Private tours are scheduled first thing in the morning with a estimated return time of around 2:00 for a 5:00 boarding. Usually we are back by 1:00 p.m. If the timing is close or it involves great distances from the ship, then we suck it up and take ship's tours. In France we were only in port for nine hours and all the tours to Normandy were eight hours--ships and private. Too close for comfort so we did the ship's tour. As it was, the ship's tours were late getting back and departure was delayed for over an hour. Still, I did not regret my decision.

All the private tour people are well aware of the importance to get you back to the ship by a certain time and allow time to do so. I've never heard or read on Cruise Critic anyone being left on the dock because their private tour did not make it back. One horror story about being left was because the cruisers did not compensate for ships time vs. local time and instructed their driver to come back to the beach to pick them up at a certain time which the driver understood as local time. I don't think we have ever returned to the ship with less than two hours until boarding for departure. If their car breaks down or whatever, they have friends that will cover for them. A couple of times on tours we have taken on extra people in an emergency. Not because they wouldn't have gotten back to the ship on time but because whatever was wrong would take an hour or so to fix and they didn't want them waiting in the heat on the side of the road.

If you are going on a ship's tour, then I see no reason at all to take your passport with you.

Tucker in Texas

In addition to what Tucker in Texas says, don't forget that if you are ashore and you miss the ship but your passport is in your room safe, the ship can get into your room and your safe and retrieve it, and send it ashore with the pilot boat (or leave it with the port agent before sailing).

If your passport has been stolen ashore, perhaps from a hidden money pouch, it's gone for good.

Thanks for the heads up Saddleman. We'll be in BCN in about a week to do the same 9 day itinerary. Was there a particular or metro station or location that was the problem? The reason I ask is that on our return from the cruise we're planning to go from Barcelona Sants station to Espanya by metro (in order to catch the train to Montserrat). My plan had been to go by Metro since the fare is included in the Montserrat Combi ticket and it sounded so simple.

P.

It's not just the metro, it's the crowded buses, anywhere there's a crowd.

And it's not just Barcelona. We spent 6 weeks in Spain traveling all around the country and we experienced the same problem in Madrid, Seville, Valencia, etc, anywhere there was a crowd.

You could experience the same problem on the streets of New Orleans during Mardi Gras or in Los Angeles at a ball game. Anyplace there's a crowd you need to be especially aware of people crowding against you.

Did the Jade cruise in November and thought it would be a great idea to use the train from the airport to our hotel. We just did not want to deal with taxi drivers and their dirty deals. So smart, huh?

So we got on the train with our luggage and backpacks (mine worn in front, very stylish). The train was not that crowded, but there were two groups of twenty and thirty-somethings who were talking. Then I noticed that the guys in the groups seemed to know each other, changing places and stuff. They got off at one stop, but were now back onboard in the next car. OK, this is where the situational awareness probably saved our vacation .

It was obvious that we were their target; we were the only obvious travelers. One young woman even tried to warn us. When we got off the train, so did the whole group. The station was pretty empty and they were just waiting for us to move. We did not have time to figure out the best exit to get tour our hotel; we just took the quickest route to daylight. Everytime they got close, we just huddled up with all of our luggage against a wall.

The station was very empty, both at the airport and where we got off the train at Passieg de Gracia. Although we did use the metro to travel around town, we took a private taxi when taking our luggage.

We too still love Barcelona and love to walk everywhere. We were lucky on this one and learned from our mistake. If it had been more crowded, we may not have been able to escape our stalkers.

If it had been more crowded, we may not have been able to escape our stalkers.

Agreed.....but also you would have had the benefit of others who might have defended you.

One thing nobody has mentioned on this thread is the notion that if you speak, or at least understand the language, it can be easier to pre-empt or become aware of what others are doing.

I've overheard things which I'm sure I wasn't expected to understand....not related to this type of crime, but nonetheless people speaking to each other in a language that they believe affords them exclusivity and privacy in a crowded environment.

Learning some key phrases (wallet, purse, etc.) can help you deduce when you may be at heightened risk.

If you go to the Barcelona boards, you'll find that pickpocketing anywhere in Barcelona is a problem. We read about this extensively before our cruise in November. We used the metro and spent 2 days in Barcelona at all the tourist hot spots with no problems. I used a Pac Safe handbag and my husband used this Lewis & Clark belt wallet:

http://www.safetycentral.com/lenclhitrwa.html

We also both had Pac Safe wallets. DH chained his to his belt and I chained mine to the inside of my purse.

No one tried to pickpocket us that we know of. I believe it's because we also didn't let our guard down. If we ever needed to look at a map, I would have my back face a wall and look outward. DH also kept an eye out will I was reading the map. We kept a hand on our wallets/purses in crowded spaces. Don't put your purse on the back of your chair or the chair next to you in a restaurant. The PacSafe handbag actually will attach to your chair. It's not just Barcelona either. Rome is also infamous for pickpockets.

For the most part, they are not violent. It's rare to hear they will actual mug you with a weapon or anything. It's a crime of opportunity so if you don't give them the opportunity, you won't be a victim.

I am one of those that would recommend that you don't take your passport. A person on our cruise had her passport stolen in Barcelona on Saturday night. Someone stole her purse from the chair next to her inside a restaurant on Las Ramblas and could not board the cruise since the U.S. Embassy wasn't open until Monday. She had to meet the ship in Naples. Keep your passport in your hotel/ship safe.

As I mentioned before, check out the threads on the Barcelona boards to make yourself more knowledgable about this topic. The more you know, the better prepared you are.

Archived