Train from Paris to Venice, changing Milan

Anubi

As the title states, we are looking at taking the train from Paris to Venice via Milan. The schedule has us changing trains in Milan but giving us only 15 minutes to do so.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken this and how it went for them.

European trains normally run very close to schedule and we would have no problem with a 15 minute change. If the train is delayed and you miss the connection you could simply get on the next train or, if its reserved, you would go to the ticket office and get your ticket re-issued. You might want to consider looking at flying options since, in many cases, it is now cheaper (and a lot faster) to fly within Europe on the various budget airlines. One caveat would be that checking luggage with these airlines can sometimes exceed the cost of the air ticket.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have done this! I recall that the platform for the Venice train was only about 3 or 4 platforms along from where the Paris train arrived.

If you go directly from one train to the other you should make it. But if you don't, I think there may be a train every hour, or at last fairly regularly.

Milan station can be very busy with a lot of people to get past, which can slow things down when you're rushing between platforms. The trains are also very long (I think about 10 carriages) so you can have a long way to walk to your seat once you get to the right train!

If you're carrying heavy luggage, note that the Venice train is quite high off the ground - there's 2 or 3 steps to get up on to them which can prove interesting when you've got suitcases to get up there. There were drinks and snacks for sale on board when we travelled (the chap had a bicycle bell on his little trolley!).

We had about 45 minutes between trains in Milan and I think the platform for the Venice train was only put up on the board about 15 minutes before it was due to leave anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure you can take a train from Paris to Milan without changing in either Geneva or Lausanne.

There are TGV's than run from Paris, Gare de Lyon to either Swiss city but right now there is work on the tracks just before Geneva and you would be better off taking a train to Lausanne, which takes a different route.

Once in Lausanne, change to trains to Milan. They run about every two hours. (You can get all the schedule information, Paris all the way to Venice, on www.cff.ch/en)

Milano station is huge, and trains are notoriously late in getting in there. Be preprared to miss your on-going connection to Venice. But from Milano there are trains at least once an hour to venice. You are required to have a seat reservation, so if you miss the train, go to the ticket office, show them your missed reservation and ask them to put you on the next train.

The other thing to say about Milano is that there are a lot of pickpockets. Watch your luggage and your wallet. Be observant, especially there.

we did this about 1 1/2 years ago. paris to venice with change in milan. one word: disaster. trains in europe are wonderful and on time...until you get to italy. we never left a station on time-yes we were on the version of the bullet train-once we got into italy. we missed our connection in milan and were put on the cattle car, of course lost our assigned seat, actually didn't have a seat and it was about 3 hours of sheer torture-in the heat. of course they were having a heat wave in june! and no water. it is a long, long day on the train. just take easy jet or some other carrier and call it good!:) on the plus side, great beer, wine and food on the train out of paris. we were traveling with 4 teenagers 13-17 and they about cleaned out the food car!

I want to do the overnight train Paris - Venice. DH was leaning to the day train but I didn't like the idea of just 15 minutes between trains...that only works if everything is perfect and I've travelled enough to know that isn't possible. :p

Thanks for all the input.

I didn't like the idea of just 15 minutes between trains...that only works if everything is perfect and I've travelled enough to know that isn't possible. :p

Well, it usually is in Germany, but I see your point... The train you are looking for the Artesia. It can be purchased either through RailEurope or directly from SNCF; you should probably check the prices on both, as buying directly from SNCF may be cheaper. As for the day trains, as others have said, if you miss your connection it's easy to catch the next train.

Archived