Anyone sailed in an Aft balcony in back of ship?

Bandit614

Hello. We just booked a cruise on the Disney Dream for next April. When I checked our room assignment, I found it is on deck 10, on the very back row of the boat (facing out to sea) in a corner room. Normally I would change this to a mid-ship balcony room but I thought these rooms might actually be interesting and a little more private?

Anyone have any experience?

Looking at the deck plans, I'd want to know what was above your cabin at Cabanas on deck 11. Is that an outdoor eating area above you? If so, it could get noisy at times - especially early in the morning when people eat breakfast. Is the same cabin location on deck 9 available?

This is my favorite type of cabin view - an unobstructed view of the wake at the stern of the ship - the best place on any ship line!!!!

When a ship dock's you have a great view too - not to mention the quiet at night looking at the large dark expanse of the sea with the moonlight lighting the wake, having private sail-aways with a glass of champagne etc... great photos, and privacy too!! - Enjoy my secret obsession!! Some deck levels you might prefer vs. others e.g. right below food areas vs. not, etc... and also size of the balcony, etc. depending on deck level....

Also some people may say you might feel the motion of the ship more than mid ship - but I do not feel an appreciable difference and some might mind the noise of the engines when docking, etc.. but I like having a little warning that something is about to occur and love going out on the balcony to check everything out as it happens without going out and have the ability to see both the port and starboard sides.

Good luck and enjoy - as they say once you go aft you never go back ;) !

Aft balcony's - especially corner aft balcony - tend to be very popular on other cruise lines. There are some potential drawbacks - long walks and somewhat more motion from the sea. But the view and lack of hallway noise are great. They also typically have bigger balcony than those on the side.

But noboby has any experience with a *Disney* aft balcony. The existing two ships don't have them.

Aft balcony's - especially corner aft balcony - tend to be very popular on other cruise lines. There are some potential drawbacks - long walks and somewhat more motion from the sea. But the view and lack of hallway noise are great. They also typically have bigger balcony than those on the side.

But noboby has any experience with a *Disney* aft balcony. The existing two ships don't have them.

We had a HA cabin on the Wonder at the very back of deck 6 (#6654), and those balconies were HUGE. They really weren't aft balconies, yet the balcony went almost all the way to the back of the ship.

We had an aft balcony on the Magic that was next to the HC room.

It was great!!! I would do it again anytime. The balcony was huge compared to others and the room was also a bit larger or at least it felt like it was.

If you use elevators all the time then you do have a bit of a walk to get there but if you dont mind stairs they are right there.

We didnt mind the walk to the elevator, after all the food it is good for you and really not that far to go.;)

It was quiet there and we were deck 6 so didnt have noise from the buffet.

Great location for us!! Very private.

I have two connecting aft 6Bs on Deck 6 on Dream booked for next July.

They are a solid wall verandah but it is what we could "afford" using our points to book both rooms. We cruise often but never in an aft so thought we would give it a try.

The balconys on Deck 6 aft look to be a little deeper than the other decks.

I'll guess I will just have to wait and see when people start sailing.

We were in 8600 on the Magic, which is an HA room corner aft. We loved the location because it was close to the little staircase that takes you right up to Topsiders (and only a short walk to the free soda station --made my kids happy :)). Ours was a solid wall balcony, but we did not mind that because we were still a little nervous about having a balcony with a 5-yr-old, so that made us feel a little more "secure". Also, we had many moments on that cruise when it was VERY windy, so the solid balcony probably helped a little.

Only thing is that we could feel the stabilizers (I believe that's what they were, but I am not an expert on cruise ships). They would need to be on every time we pulled out of port and they made the whole stateroom rattle and shake. This wasn't normally a problem because it was usually only for 5 or 10 minutes. Of course, the time we were stuck at CC they were on and off for 24 hours, and that did get very annoying; it was very hard to sleep that night.

Overall, we would stay there again in a heartbeat. We only had one lone french fry land on our balcony from Topsiders above. :p You might want to look closely at the deck plans to see what is above and below your room, though.

We were in 8600 on the Magic, which is an HA room corner aft. We loved the location because it was close to the little staircase that takes you right up to Topsiders (and only a short walk to the free soda station --made my kids happy :)). Ours was a solid wall balcony, but we did not mind that because we were still a little nervous about having a balcony with a 5-yr-old, so that made us feel a little more "secure". Also, we had many moments on that cruise when it was VERY windy, so the solid balcony probably helped a little.

Only thing is that we could feel the stabilizers (I believe that's what they were, but I am not an expert on cruise ships). They would need to be on every time we pulled out of port and they made the whole stateroom rattle and shake. This wasn't normally a problem because it was usually only for 5 or 10 minutes. Of course, the time we were stuck at CC they were on and off for 24 hours, and that did get very annoying; it was very hard to sleep that night.

Overall, we would stay there again in a heartbeat. We only had one lone french fry land on our balcony from Topsiders above. :p You might want to look closely at the deck plans to see what is above and below your room, though.

What you heard were the thrusters and everyone aft can hear them. But we were always up already and getting ready to go ashore accept when we arrive early back to PC. So we never minded them.

The Dream is DCl's newest ship so you will probably be some of the first to experience these aft views. Our cabins have been aft on the Wonder and the Magic, but facing the back of the ship would be something new I think. I also like port side of the ship because we were able to see the entire fireworks display from our balcony. It was wonderful. Many people say they feel more motion at the front of the ship. Just being on the Dream will be an unforgettable cruise in any case I'm sure.

We had suite 8102 on Magic last year, and it was tremendous! Our verandah measured approximately 45 feet long by 10 feet wide - - that's not a misprint. We had magnificent views, and had no problems with any unusual movement of the ship. Yes, we did hear the thrusters, but it was very minor - just a little vibration that lasted just a minute or two.

Archived