Our Norwegian Dawn Cruise

martinchem

Just off the Dawn a week, and can't stop thinking about the cruise, it was pretty awesome. We did the B2B, 5 and 9 day 1/24 and1/29. A lot of interest in the changes on Norwegian have been talked about, here is what I'll say. Was there a welcome aboard champange? No, but there were many opportunities for free bubblies throughout the cruise for attending various events. We had an inside cabin and there was no coffee pot but our room steward asked us 3 times if we'd like one cause they were available. We had a nice NCL Dawn postcard in our room, something that Royal now charges for and Carnival offers only a generic one in the rooms. No chocolates on the pillows, which I didn't miss until someone mentioned it to me. We enjoyed a latitudes funtion and another function called Wine & Cheese for latitude silver or higher on each of the two cruises. Some of the perks Norwegian have offered in the past have changed but the quality of food, the taste of the coffee and the respect of their employees was better than ever, I can't speak for anyone else but these are important to me. The Jean Ann Ryan dancers were absolutely excellent, we've been on enough cruises that we feel we've seen the same things over and over and wish the cruiselines would change it up a bit, well this bunch of singers and dancers captivated us everytime we saw them. The comedian was pretty funny and his adult show was even better, the magician, well, he tried. Our travel agent BPC arranged a bottle of wine and certificate for a specialty restaurant for the 5 day and another bottle of wine and $75 OBC for the 9 day that we didn't expect and really set the pace for our cruises. I'd say that the only problem the ship had was some plumbing issues, a few buckets here and there for ceiling drips, some public toilets closed and wet floors. The Aqua mid ship restaurant was rather small and seemed fast paced and busy, they got our meals wrong twice, but we ate what they brought and couldn't complain about the taste. The Venitian aft was better, I think there best wait staff worked there, everything was perfect whenever we dined there although a couple nights the wait was a half hour to get in. We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast eveyday, lunch all but two and had 1/3 of our dinners there, if we ate there all the time it would have been just fine. The quality, freshness and variety were all we could ask for, they had fresh breads, pasta, pizzas, desserts always available. The officers were always around, the staff was friendly and attentive and we look forward to booking another cruise with them.

Nice review. I like the idea of the wine and cheese gathering. We have not had one of those yet.

The water buckets and dripping is an ongoing problem that is going to take time to correct. Due to some water pressure issues the whole plumbing (piping) system has to be replaced. According to Hugo it would take a drydock of 3 months and 200 plumbers to do the job. So, they are doing it as they go.

PE

Nice review. I like the idea of the wine and cheese gathering. We have not had one of those yet.

The water buckets and dripping is an ongoing problem that is going to take time to correct. Due to some water pressure issues the whole plumbing (piping) system has to be replaced. According to Hugo it would take a drydock of 3 months and 200 plumbers to do the job. So' date=' they are doing it as they go.

PE[/color']

The Wine & Cheese were fun functions and they made sure you always had a full glass of wine in front of you, they held this function at Dazzles, a mid ship bar which anyone walking by could observe and/or enjoy the music of Patti & jose a married couple who really have quite a following sung a lot of Neil Diamond and 60s, 70s and 80s music.

I can't get the water problems out of my head yet, but they really didn't take away from the quality cruise vacation we experienced at all.

I did a survey on the internet when we got home and somehow a reminder came up linking me to their customer relations so I emailed them about our nice cruise, and to my suprise they mailed me a response thanking me, mentioning they would send my comments to the ship and gave me a number to call when we book our next Norwegian cruise for a "special welcome aboard gift", boy that really made my day, it's the little things that put the biggest smile on my face.

I can't get the water problems out of my head yet, but they really didn't take away from the quality cruise vacation we experienced at all.

They were working on the plumbing on deck 11 when we were aboard in November. What deck were they working on when you were there?

PE

And I'm on Deck 4 in 3 days! Yikes!

in November and the drips were around the gang planks, I didn't have any problems inside my cabin next to gangway. Also I highly recommend eating in Aqua, service there is much better than MDR and eat a little later after 7:30, the restaurants catch up then.Barb:D

We were on the 1/29 Dawn. The overhead pipes are being replaced throughout the ship during cruises so as not to have an extended dry dock. Saw buckets, plastic sheeting everywhere on upper floors but not sure what the impact was to guests. We were on 9 and knew where to head to our aft cabin by spying the bucket in the hallway. We actually looked forward to seeing it so we knew we were close to home.

OP writes a nice review that seems based in realistic expectations, a total go with the flow attitude and an understanding about what a cruise can provide. We loved our 9 day and can highly recommend the Dawn.

Hmmm, maybe that's where all the good cheese went! You made me recall a cheese story from our trip on the Dawn last November. One night, in Le Bistro, for dessert we asked for the cheese trolley to select cheeses to have with the rest of our wine. Our server said she would make up a plate for each us. Boy, did she! It was fantastic! So, since we enjoyed it so much, we asked for the trolley again the next night in Cagneys (which did not seem particularly crowded that night). Our server said that they were out of a bunch of the cheeses, but he would ask the chef to put something together. Well, it ended up being a few slices of basic cheeses including - and I am not kidding - some cut up American cheese, as in Kraft wrapped slices!! :eek: I am not sure why they bothered. It was quite a let down after the night before.

The wine and cheese really sounds like a Hugo touch to me.

PE

Hi PE,

Ever since 2.0 started, Latitudes has been putting this on for silver and above repeaters.

It's really nice. On the Dawn we had it in the Star Bar once and in Dazzles another time, on the Jade it was in Medusa and on the Gem we had a large crowd up in Spinnakers.

The cruise consultant team organizes it and sends out the invitations but the officers regularly attend & mingle. I've even seen the Captain there.

Plenty of wine flowing & cheese set out, some settings better than others but all quite nice.

Surprised you haven't yet experienced this but I'm sure you will.:)

Hi PE' date='

Ever since 2.0 started, Latitudes has been putting this on for silver and above repeaters.

It's really nice. On the Dawn we had it in the Star Bar once and in Dazzles another time, on the Jade it was in Medusa and on the Gem we had a large crowd up in Spinnakers.

The cruise consultant team organizes it and sends out the invitations but the officers regularly attend & mingle. I've even seen the Captain there.

Plenty of wine flowing & cheese set out, some settings better than others but all quite nice.

Surprised you haven't yet experienced this but I'm sure you will.:)[/quote']

I've been on four NCL cruises since 2.0 and have yet to be invited to a wine and cheese gathering. In fact we were just on the Dawn in November for two weeks and there was no wine and cheese gathering.

PE

The Dawn is moving to BOSTON ???? REALLY ??? Doing Boston to Bermuda itinerary ?

Yep:

7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Boston

Ship: Norwegian Dawn

Departs: Boston

Departure Dates: 2011: Aug 5, Aug 12, Aug 19, Aug 26, Sep 2, Sep 9, Sep 16, Sep 23, Sep 30, Oct 7, Oct 14

Ports of call:Boston; King's Wharf

Yep:

7-Day Bermuda Round-trip Boston

Ship: Norwegian Dawn

Departs: Boston

Departure Dates: 2011: Aug 5, Aug 12, Aug 19, Aug 26, Sep 2, Sep 9, Sep 16, Sep 23, Sep 30, Oct 7, Oct 14

Ports of call:Boston; King's Wharf

I'm sure the Dawn will be a big hit in Boston with all her NYC hull art..:rolleyes:

I've been on four NCL cruises since 2.0 and have yet to be invited to a wine and cheese gathering. In fact we were just on the Dawn in November for two weeks and there was no wine and cheese gathering.

PE

I too never experienced this until last September on the Spirit. (Since 2.0 there has been a "silver and up" gathering, but those were more traditional cocktail parties, with ships officers in attendance.)

I have to say the party on the Spirit was a disappointment. The gathering was held in the Galaxy of the Stars and the cheese table was tucked into a far corner...almost as if they didn't want you to find it. The wine was just base house white or red and no officers attended. To be honest, we were so disappointed with this party that we didn't bother to attend the wine and cheese party held on the Gem last month (and we do love good wine and cheese!).

Perhaps on our next cruise, if it's offered, we'll give it another try...

To the OP, thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the Dawn. We can't wait to sail her again!

Archived