What do you think of the PARADISE?

wizard-of-roz

The Paradise is good for those type of trips exactly. For someone who is going on their first cruise, the Paradise is not a good ship. Doesn't give a true representation. The ship itself is just fine for a "filler" trip though. My husband and I use it for that purpose all the time. It's small, but everything that matters is the same - good food, good staff, good entertainment, has the serenity area... And Catalina and Ensanada are good ports for a quick short cruise. Sometimes, you may find yourself a little bored on a sea day because the ship is so small, but if you tend to stick by the pool most of the time it won't be an issue.

The Paradise was the first ship I went on and made me fall in love with cruising. I felt so well attended to and cared for by all the staff, loved all the shows we saw and had a great time hanging out around the pool. Our porthole room was very nice, plenty roomy and well kept.

The Paradise was the first ship I went on and made me fall in love with cruising. I felt so well attended to and cared for by all the staff, loved all the shows we saw and had a great time hanging out around the pool. Our porthole room was very nice, plenty roomy and well kept.

Same here. That was our first cruise back when it was a non-smoking ship. Compared to the mega-ships of today, it doesnt really stack up. But, it would do fine for a filler.

Same here. That was our first cruise back when it was a non-smoking ship. Compared to the mega-ships of today, it doesnt really stack up. But, it would do fine for a filler.

Our very first ship was the Sun Viking [RCCL]. It was so much fun, there was no "lost" or "can't find my way around" or "I didn't see it all" feeling.

The mega-ships of today are filled with lots to do and lots of places to be but they're also overwhelming, at times.

Again, thanks for the input.

Limited cruise experience here compared to quite a few; but some worthy experience!!

Just loved Star Princess, for instance when it was new.

My Paradise experience was last June and fairly recent. Have found that quite a few here love the Fantasy Class; due to size issue you mentioned. It was a "filler" for me until can afford a longer cruise. I was very satisfied at the quality and product for the age of ship etc. Had a wonderful time. The food, spa (massage), and shows offered were above average to very good in my opinion. I can not wait to do both a longer cruise on another Carnival class as well as repeat a 4 or 5 day Fantasy class...loved it. Spa was updated, had Serenity area, regular older TV's, new carpet and drapes in cabin. Had the "tea service" on sea day. Sushi bar and specialty coffee bar.

One Casual Elegant lobster dinner on 4-day...etc. Try for 2 plates on lobster dinner if you like and tiny...mine was and did not know that trick.

We also went on the Paradise on our first cruise, it was great, felt warm and fuzzy, they made you feel special, and welcome. Not that you dont on the other bigger ships, but it was great.

I wish it went on longer cruises we would go again, but to fly in and cruise it is to short of a trip.

I'm glad to read the happy repsonses as I will be on her in less then 3 weeks. This is my first CCL cruise but I have been on four HAL cruises. This is exactly what I want it for, a filler cruise until I can afford a better one. I am taking a frined and his wife as thier first cruise but they will get a bigger picture from me.

There have been a lot of negative reviews lately in the review section of this board,,but I can't as that I believe some of the things that were stated. Some seem really angry about the ship and I suspect they are not at all truthfull, or just see things different then most. Or one thing really got to them and that made them see the entire trip as ruined,,rather then just one thing that went wrong.

I have been on her once, last year with my DH and kids. We had cruised RCCL several times prior on teh same itinerary when it was here. Paradise was a great time for my kids, and a good time for me as well. I tend to enjoy the party of this cruise more than most on this board, so my perspective is a little different.

The weekender (Fri-Mon) is a party cruise, plain and simple. If you are looking for a more chill environment, the Mon-Fri would be a much better bet. Catalina is nice for a day. Ensenada is okay, not much to do, but I spend my day at Papa's and Beer anyways.

I am going on her again on March 5th, this time with a ton of friends. We are going to have a great time. I would be surprised if the waterslide is still standing when we are done.

Have fun!

Judging from my upcoming cruises signature and 3 other cruises on the Paradise, I can give a hearty thumbs up! As others stated, good layout, cozy feeling and just the right size for 3-4 night cruises. My first cruise was on the Ecstasy when she was out of LA, and been in love with the Fantasy class ever since. When I can take the full week off of work I like the larger ships, depending on price.

Just got back from our 8th Paradise cruise this past January. We like the ship. It's very easy to get around and I never feel crowded on it.

The only thing I dislike about the layout of the Fantasy Class ships is that I can never figure out which staircase/elevator to take to the aft dining room.:confused:

If you are in the assigned the aft dining room be warned that at the front tables-the ones near the staircase- will at times get the smoke from the Cigar Bar upstairs.

Our cabin on the Riviera deck had a new, flat panel TV. The others that I saw did not. They must be replacing them as they give out.

You guys are getting me more and more excited about my decision.

I'm not a big fan of all the trouble of packing and shlepping and then only spending 4 days on the ship but I'm actually looking forward to this one.

I'll be smarter and pack much lighter and make this trip a truly relaxing vacation.

When you travel with a Service Dog, as I do, traveling without "stuff" can be a bit daunting! Afterall, there are her fancy collars for formal night and then all those different colored scarves for daywear. And, of course, her play equipment! :rolleyes:

Hi Roz, I have enjoyed the Paradise several times. It is one of the older ships but is in good shape. Easy to get around on. I have always had good service on her. It beats driving the 4 hours to Vegas. I have gone with just a carry on. Light and easy. You won't need much. Parking is easy also. Parking structure is next to the dome and embarkation. If you go Early you could have brunch at the Queen Mary. It is a straight shot down the 710 FWY.

When are you going?

Pet Brenny for me and say Hi to Morey!

Have a great cruise.

Robin:D

I'm glad to read the happy repsonses as I will be on her in less then 3 weeks. This is my first CCL cruise but I have been on four HAL cruises. This is exactly what I want it for, a filler cruise until I can afford a better one. I am taking a frined and his wife as thier first cruise but they will get a bigger picture from me.

There have been a lot of negative reviews lately in the review section of this board,,but I can't as that I believe some of the things that were stated. Some seem really angry about the ship and I suspect they are not at all truthfull, or just see things different then most. Or one thing really got to them and that made them see the entire trip as ruined,,rather then just one thing that went wrong.

I have enjoyed your posts and what you have shared on CC..think I happened upon some salient ones..not sure how to spell that at this hour:)...back pain at moment...at any rate...I think you and yours will just love it..there is an intangible about the less fancy and smaller ships..and Carnival's style that really come together on this ship IMHO.

We got home two hours ago from our Paradise Cruise. This was DH's 50th birthday cruise and it was perfect for our group of family and friends. I will write a review as soon as I can. Overall, we had a blast and everyone was thrilled with the ship and the service.

How sweet. I had my "50TH" 1 week cruise planned and decided to wait a year or so to be better with finances/move economy etc. This was a 49.11 compromise that was fantastic..isn't it fun to share what is GOOD about things sometimes...looking forward to your review..it woud be perfect for a Birthday with folks like you have shared. As I just had my last birthday, I'll be re-celebrating with longer cruise for the 50th again in a year or so:).

You guys are getting me more and more excited about my decision.

I'm not a big fan of all the trouble of packing and shlepping and then only spending 4 days on the ship but I'm actually looking forward to this one.

I'll be smarter and pack much lighter and make this trip a truly relaxing vacation.

When you travel with a Service Dog, as I do, traveling without "stuff" can be a bit daunting! Afterall, there are her fancy collars for formal night and then all those different colored scarves for daywear. And, of course, her play equipment! :rolleyes:

Great..because it introduced me and sold me on Carnival as an option I will choose again!!! And I took too much!!:) Mine was 4 day last June again.

Some folks say I was lucky on dining with "presentable" in the dress category...but honestly..no one was scruffy in dining room....yet there was flexible code...formal had dressy to nice pants/top and necklace etc. for dressy nite. Yes...that wonderful dog does need that scarf change:D.

PS It is fun to have close to home opions that are good. It was even worth it to me to fly and all..enjoyed a night at each end in LA to ease everything...sjn

Hi Roz, I have enjoyed the Paradise several times. It is one of the older ships but is in good shape. Easy to get around on. I have always had good service on her. It beats driving the 4 hours to Vegas. I have gone with just a carry on. Light and easy. You won't need much. Parking is easy also. Parking structure is next to the dome and embarkation. If you go Early you could have brunch at the Queen Mary. It is a straight shot down the 710 FWY.

When are you going?

Pet Brenny for me and say Hi to Morey!

Have a great cruise.

Robin:D

Hi Robin, good to hear from you. We'll be going on September 6th. Morey's birthday is September 7th, I thought this would be a good way to celebrate.

I hope we'll see you again on another cruise.

We may just try the Queen Mary. Thanks for the info.

Roz

I have enjoyed your posts and what you have shared on CC..think I happened upon some salient ones..not sure how to spell that at this hour:)...back pain at moment...at any rate...I think you and yours will just love it..there is an intangible about the less fancy and smaller ships..and Carnival's style that really come together on this ship IMHO.

Thank you for the good info. about the Paradise, it helps when you're sailing a ship that you're not familiar with to have some good input to help in making the decision to sail her!

And, you're right, at times I do get a bit - for lack of better words........"tough to take!" I'm an "alpha" woman, raised with 5 brothers and sisters and it seemed, at times, that we had to be tough to survive in the pack!

I hope you can take me with a grain of salt and in the spirit of all that an "alpha" woman has to offer.......I have lots to say and am very exuberant about saying it......I just need a nice pat on the head and a "down girl" and, I become calm again. ;)

Thank you for this thread. We are sailing on Paradise on April 5th. Didn't care about the ports of call. Just wanted something for a quick trip. Didn't want the three night as didn't want the party atmosphere. It's me and my two kids.

To the OP - how does Carnival treat you with your service dog? I have always wondered as I know animals are not ok but service animals would have to be per the ADA, but I have never seen a dog on a ship yet...

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CarnivalParadiseCruise.html

We are trying this local cruise and Carnival for the first time also. We are really looking forward to a local cruise. I found this review while checking out the Serenity area of Paradise. Adult only sounds good. We have taken this cruise twice on the Monarch. I am looking forward to Carnival. This will be our first time to have a window cabin. We have always had an inside room before. We love Avalon and Ensenada is okay in my book. Just looking forward to R&R and good food. Hope this cruise supplies that.

We also went on the Paradise on our first cruise, it was great, felt warm and fuzzy, they made you feel special, and welcome. Not that you dont on the other bigger ships, but it was great.

I wish it went on longer cruises we would go again, but to fly in and cruise it is to short of a trip.

There's always the Back-to-Back thing to try. Makes the flight in and out a bit more cost-effective! :D

Archived