3 day and 5 day pre and post land tour that RCCL offers for an Alaska Cruise,anyone every taken one?

They offer a 3 day and 5 day one, what does it include and what was the cost? It can be taken before the 7 day cruise or after, is one better then the other(pre or post)?

Can you do the same thing on your own for less money?

Anyone have any thoughts about this, good or bad?

Jimbo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/3/04 Legend of the Seas

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2/13/05 Carnival "Miracle"

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;8;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

8/28/05 Serenade of the Seas

Alaska Bound

Sorry,no thoughts on this subject.........just wanted to add my 2 cents12_8_6.gif 12_8_6.gif in....(where it doesnt belong) icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000  RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

Thanks Parrothead8 for "NOTHING" LOL icon_smile.gif

Jimbo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;10;3;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Panama Canal 14-Nights

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;8;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Alaska Bound

We did a four day land tour with Carnival a few years ago. Denali was awesome...a definite must do in Alaska.

We did the tour post cruise and I would do it the other way if I had it to do over. The land tour can get hectic and I would rather have the cruise last to be able to have relaxation time.

Also, we flew into Vancouver and home from Anchorage (an all night flight to the east coast). I would rather get the longest flight over with first.

5/2 Miracle cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;2;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi Jimbo, boy, you are really "Getting Out There", lol.

I actually want to know also as we are thinking of Alaska for next June.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93,11/95

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99,11/00,06/01,02/02,05/04

Navigator of the Seas 12/02,11/04

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

We did a pre-tour and they are known as Royal Celebrity Tours( both the coaches and trains). We flew into Fairbanks and picked up out ship in Seward. Would do it again, howver this time (GULP GULP) I might do Princess. Now I am NOT a fan of Princess cruises (we have done 3 - comparared to 12 with RCCL and Celebrity) But they do own Alaska. While Royal/Celebrity trains our newer. Lodges own by Princess seemed much nicer than the Lodges used by Celebrity, neared the areas you might want to go. If you do It on your own, you must stop at Denali and make sure you take the long sightseeing tour of it. Anything elese feel free to ask -- we did booked most excursions on our own and they were outstanding

norm

bar10er421

Yes I like your suggestion of doing the land tour pre rather then post. Sounds like alot after you been on the ship for a week to do, then after all that a long flight home to top it off with. If we do it, it will be pre.

Gambler,

Hi Helen, yeah it does seem like it doesn't it? Just thought it was time for some different cruises besides the Caribbean, so figured we would do the Panama and Alaska.

jezzdog

Sounds like Denali is a must see but I don't see it listed anywhere below. I have copied and pasted the 2 different itineraries for the 3 day and 5 day. As you can see one is $670 per person and the 5 day is $2720 per person. Can that price be right? I know the 3 day tour doesn't show food being included but $2000 different? Also the 5 day tour looks like more activities and excursions are included.

TOURING ITINERARY for the 3 day pre land tour. Cost on the RCCL site is $670.00 per person additional to the cruise price.

Date City Description

25-Aug Whistler, British Columbia Upon arrival at Vancouver International Airport, you'll be met by a Royal Caribbean International representative. You'll board a motorcoach for your three-hour transfer along the Sea to Sky Highway to the town of Whistler§. Whistler is situated at the base of the Whistler and Blackcomb mountains with many amenities within walking distance. After arrival at your hotel, the remainder of the evening is free. Overnight in Whistler.

26-Aug Whistler, British Columbia This morning enjoy a gondola ride to the top of Whistler mountain. The rest of the day is free for independent activities. Whistler offers hiking, sightseeing, a championship golf course, watersports, tennis, biking, horseback riding, heli-hiking, fishing and summer skiing. Stay a second night in Whistler.

27-Aug Whistler, British Columbia /

Vancouver, British Columbia You are free in the morning for independent activities before boarding a motorcoach to Vancouver. After being taken to your hotel you have the remainder of the day to explore at your leisure. Independent sightseeing options include the Vancouver Aquarium, the Lookout Tower and shopping on Robson Street. Overnight in Vancouver.

28-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia Enjoy a Vancouver City Tour* this morning, including a drive through historic Gastown, bustling Chinatown and the 1000-acre Stanley Park. Additional highlights include Prospect Point, the English Bay Beaches and Queen Elizabeth Park. This afternoon, you'll be transferred to the cruise ship terminal to board your ship.

*Included in the cruisetour.

§Note: Guests making their own air arrangements must arrive into Vancouver International Airport no later than 7:00 pm on the tour start date to receive complimentary arrival transfers to Whistler.

TOURING ITINERARY for the 5 day pre land tour offered by RCCL. Cost is $2720.00 additional to the cruise price.

Date City Description

23-Aug Lake Louise, Alberta Upon Arrival at Calgary International Airport relax on a three-hour shuttle as you travel to Lake Louise§. The rest of the day is free. Overnight at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

24-Aug Banff, Alberta Spend the morning exploring beautiful Lake Louise at your leisure. This afternoon, enjoy a tour of Yoho National Park*, including the Spiral Tunnels and Emerald Lake. You'll then be transferred to Banff. Overnight at the Fairmont Banff Springs or the Rimrock Resort.

25-Aug Banff, Alberta /

Kamloops, British Columbia Depart via Rocky Mountaineer Railtours® with RedLeaf Service® to Kamloops. As the train crosses the Continental Divide you'll pass through the Spiral Tunnels in Yoho National Park. Marvel at the glaciers, numerous tunnels and snow-capped mountains of Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park. Pass historic Craigellachie, where the "last spike" was driven to complete the Canadian Pacific Railway. Dinner in Kamloops is included this evening at Two River Junction® Dinner & Musical Revue*. Overnight in Kamloops. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.

26-Aug Kamloops, British Columbia /

Vancouver, British Columbia Continue your train journey westward along the Thompson River to Fraser Canyon. At Hell's Gate watch water rush past the canyon walls at its narrowest point. The train then journeys through Fraser Valley to Vancouver. Overnight in Vancouver at the Sheraton Wall Centre or similar. Breakfast and lunch are included.

27-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia Today explore Vancouver as you wish. Receive a complimentary admission to the Vancouver Lookout at the Harbor Centre Tower. Enjoy optional excursions such as a trip to Whistler, British Columbia's premier resort. Overnight in Vancouver.

28-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia Enjoy a Vancouver City Tour* before departing on your cruise adventure.

§Note: Guests making their own air arrangements must arrive into Calgary International Airport no later than 8:00 pm on the tour start date to receive complimentary arrival transfers to Lake Louise.

I guess I'm confused a little bit also because neither is an Alaska Land tour. Both options are in Canada I guess.

Anyone know if Denali can be toured from one of the ports we stop at during the cruise? Here are the stops?

28-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia 5:00 PM Boarding

29-Aug Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

30-Aug Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 1:00 PM 5:00 PM Cruising

31-Aug Skagway, Alaska 7:30 AM 8:30 PM Docked

01-Sep Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

02-Sep Ketchikan, Alaska 8:00 AM 3:00 PM Docked

02-Sep Misty Fjords (Cruising) 6:00 PM 8:00 PM Cruising

03-Sep Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

04-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia 8:00 AM Departure

Jimbo icon_smile.gif

Panama Canal 14-Nights

Alaska Bound

Your above tours are out of Vancouver NOT Alaska. I would always do Whistler myself, but if going out of Vancouver it is easy to see it on your own, I highly recommend adding a couple days to ferry over to Victoria- just a supurb touring area. IF You change your mind and decide to add on from Anchorage- then Denali Park is a must do. icon_smile.gif But I strongly encourage you to consider adding 7 days- any less has more time in transit. BUT the best way for me to go is independent- superior to any tour- you see and do what YOU want and not be tied to a fixed group schedule. Can be significantly cheaper too.

Jimbo,

You're planning on doing an inside passage cruise w/additional add-on for Vancouver.. not the "usually" cruise-tour options when considering an Alaskan cruise (meaning interior Alaska pre-post from a one-way cruise). I believe you can do most of the excursions you see in the options listed on your own via rental car. You'll LOVE the sail... it's awesome

Carolyn

We did a seven day land tour pre-cruise on Princess and Princess really does own Alaska. highly recommend the land portion, actually preferred it to the cruise portion, a definite first. Getting into the interior like that is just amazing. Practically 24 hours of sunlight in Fairbanks. Definitely do land portion first as it will indeed wipe you out and it's nice to have a week of r&r to look forward too. Cannot say enough good things about Alaska! Enjoy!

Unfortuatley with a round-trip cruise, (i.e. Vancouver to Vancouver) you will be unable to do the interior of Alaska. Both tours you posted were of Canada, not Alaska. if you rent a car you can do most, if not all of it yourself for less than the RCCL wants t9 charge. Also sigtseeing tours for Vancouver are available from the hotels. We did Priceline(the first time ever, everyone on this board were highly rec, last year-- they were right we snagged the Hyatt not far from the pier for 55 a night) Try to go to biddinf for travel and see what hotels the people are getting this year. Marriot, Rennaisce, Hyatt are all get locations.

norm

• 1 month later...

Jimbo posted that the cruise he was going on was 8/28/04 Serenade of the Seas. I think 8/28 is the Radiance of the Seas and 8/29 is Serenade!

bar10er421

Yes I like your suggestion of doing the land tour pre rather then post. Sounds like alot after you been on the ship for a week to do, then after all that a long flight home to top it off with. If we do it, it will be pre.

Gambler,

Hi Helen, yeah it does seem like it doesn't it? Just thought it was time for some different cruises besides the Caribbean, so figured we would do the Panama and Alaska.

jezzdog

Sounds like Denali is a must see but I don't see it listed anywhere below. I have copied and pasted the 2 different itineraries for the 3 day and 5 day. As you can see one is $670 per person and the 5 day is $2720 per person. Can that price be right? I know the 3 day tour doesn't show food being included but $2000 different? Also the 5 day tour looks like more activities and excursions are included.

TOURING ITINERARY for the 3 day pre land tour. Cost on the RCCL site is $670.00 per person additional to the cruise price.

Date City Description

25-Aug Whistler, British Columbia Upon arrival at Vancouver International Airport, you'll be met by a Royal Caribbean International representative. You'll board a motorcoach for your three-hour transfer along the Sea to Sky Highway to the town of Whistler§. Whistler is situated at the base of the Whistler and Blackcomb mountains with many amenities within walking distance. After arrival at your hotel, the remainder of the evening is free. Overnight in Whistler.

26-Aug Whistler, British Columbia This morning enjoy a gondola ride to the top of Whistler mountain. The rest of the day is free for independent activities. Whistler offers hiking, sightseeing, a championship golf course, watersports, tennis, biking, horseback riding, heli-hiking, fishing and summer skiing. Stay a second night in Whistler.

27-Aug Whistler, British Columbia /

Vancouver, British Columbia You are free in the morning for independent activities before boarding a motorcoach to Vancouver. After being taken to your hotel you have the remainder of the day to explore at your leisure. Independent sightseeing options include the Vancouver Aquarium, the Lookout Tower and shopping on Robson Street. Overnight in Vancouver.

28-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia Enjoy a Vancouver City Tour* this morning, including a drive through historic Gastown, bustling Chinatown and the 1000-acre Stanley Park. Additional highlights include Prospect Point, the English Bay Beaches and Queen Elizabeth Park. This afternoon, you'll be transferred to the cruise ship terminal to board your ship.

§Note: Guests making their own air arrangements must arrive into Vancouver International Airport no later than 7:00 pm on the tour start date to receive complimentary arrival transfers to Whistler.

TOURING ITINERARY for the 5 day pre land tour offered by RCCL. Cost is $2720.00 additional to the cruise price.

Date City Description

23-Aug Lake Louise, Alberta Upon Arrival at Calgary International Airport relax on a three-hour shuttle as you travel to Lake Louise§. The rest of the day is free. Overnight at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

24-Aug Banff, Alberta Spend the morning exploring beautiful Lake Louise at your leisure. This afternoon, enjoy a tour of Yoho National Park*, including the Spiral Tunnels and Emerald Lake. You'll then be transferred to Banff. Overnight at the Fairmont Banff Springs or the Rimrock Resort.

25-Aug Banff, Alberta /

Kamloops, British Columbia Depart via Rocky Mountaineer Railtours® with RedLeaf Service® to Kamloops. As the train crosses the Continental Divide you'll pass through the Spiral Tunnels in Yoho National Park. Marvel at the glaciers, numerous tunnels and snow-capped mountains of Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park. Pass historic Craigellachie, where the "last spike" was driven to complete the Canadian Pacific Railway. Dinner in Kamloops is included this evening at Two River Junction® Dinner & Musical Revue*. Overnight in Kamloops. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included.

26-Aug Kamloops, British Columbia /

Vancouver, British Columbia Continue your train journey westward along the Thompson River to Fraser Canyon. At Hell's Gate watch water rush past the canyon walls at its narrowest point. The train then journeys through Fraser Valley to Vancouver. Overnight in Vancouver at the Sheraton Wall Centre or similar. Breakfast and lunch are included.

27-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia Today explore Vancouver as you wish. Receive a complimentary admission to the Vancouver Lookout at the Harbor Centre Tower. Enjoy optional excursions such as a trip to Whistler, British Columbia's premier resort. Overnight in Vancouver.

28-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia Enjoy a Vancouver City Tour* before departing on your cruise adventure.

§Note: Guests making their own air arrangements must arrive into Calgary International Airport no later than 8:00 pm on the tour start date to receive complimentary arrival transfers to Lake Louise.

I guess I'm confused a little bit also because neither is an Alaska Land tour. Both options are in Canada I guess.

Anyone know if Denali can be toured from one of the ports we stop at during the cruise? Here are the stops?

28-Aug Vancouver, British Columbia 5:00 PM Boarding

29-Aug Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

30-Aug Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 1:00 PM 5:00 PM Cruising

31-Aug Skagway, Alaska 7:30 AM 8:30 PM Docked

01-Sep Juneau, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:00 PM Docked

02-Sep Ketchikan, Alaska 8:00 AM 3:00 PM Docked

02-Sep Misty Fjords (Cruising) 6:00 PM 8:00 PM Cruising

03-Sep Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

04-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia 8:00 AM Departure

Jimbo icon_smile.gif

Panama Canal 14-Nights

Alaska Bound

Does anyone know what the weather is like in Alaska at the end of August. We may go on the 8/28 Radiance of the Seas. We were offered two connecting cabins on the 7th deck port and aft . Is anyone familiar with this ship? We are used to much larger cabins on higher decks. Alaska sounds so great and we want to surprise our 3 children with this trip when they come home from overnight summer camp and at this point we would take anything as long as it has a balcony!

We are booked on the 5 day pre-cruise tour that leaves 9/14. I too have been looking for someone who has been on it but cannot find a soul. If you do end up going on this one, I would be interested in your review of it. If not, I'll give a review of my own when we get back.

Archived