Noordam/Dominican Republic

sail7seas

We're looking at a Seafarer Cruise on Noordam and it has 'scenic cruising' and gives hours for Santa Barbara a de Samana, Dominican Republic. Does the ship actually dock there or is it only 'scenic cruising'?

Thanks.

Great. I just wanted to verify we didn't just sail on by. I got a pamphlet from HAL including Seafarer/Wayfarer cruises on Noordam. We are choosing which we'll book and I hoped the ship actually stops at that port. I wasn't clear about that from looking at the Americas Brochure and the pamphlet I received.

Thanks.

Sail,

I am currently on Noordam (or actually this instant at the wi-fi spot in the Aruba terminal). We visited Samana earlier this week. We anchored offshore in deeper water, as the shallow shelf extends a ways. The tender ride to the pier was about 20 minutes. It's a pretty place.

I described our visit in more detail in the "live" (sort of) blog I've been doing.

Dave

Samana was a pleasant surprise for my traveling companion and me. I had not expected much. We took the shore excursion Panoramic Samana and found that it allowed us to see a large part of the peninsula with a couple of stops in villages for shopping/people watching. Our guide was very informative. The area is lush. One has to remind oneself just to the west is Haiti. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.

We tendered there the end of this past Jan on Noordam. We did the sail/snorkel and were sorely disappointed. The snorkeling was lame and the beach we went to was dirty and limited. However, that having been said, those onboard who took other excursions that ventured away from the area we were at seemed to feel that the beaches were very nice and they got a tour of the island.

Hope you and DH have a great time (did you get across from neptune?)

harry

We tendered there the end of this past Jan on Noordam. We did the sail/snorkel and were sorely disappointed. The snorkeling was lame and the beach we went to was dirty and limited. However, that having been said, those onboard who took other excursions that ventured away from the area we were at seemed to feel that the beaches were very nice and they got a tour of the island.

Hope you and DH have a great time (did you get across from neptune?)

harry

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Always, Harry. :) That's our favorite location, as you know. :D

Yes, I thought of you when I walked down the hall each morning to get that great coffee for DW and me. We actually were in the quietest room of all the 20-something cruises we have had. It was just behind the PH ... amazed us. It was a little bit of a trek to Neptune, but that was no big deal.

Hope you guys have a great cruise!

harry

There always seems to be a lot of discussion about the DR-- I would like to offer the following based on our personal experience over the last several years--- this was originally posted on our Noordam 05/04/10 roll call

Good evening from Texas

I would like to weigh-in on the Dominican Republic. We have been in the DR on several extended non-cruise vacations that ranged from Santa Domingo to the North Coast of Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.

Without exception the country side is beautiful and the people warm and welcoming.

This will be our first exposure to the east coast and we are looking forward to the stop, but wish it would be longer.

If you tour the country side (we hope you will), yes you will see poverty, but you will also see hardworking, happy people living a life they are comfortable with. Take some trinkets, candy, etc to give to the children you will encounter--their smiles will be a lasting memory.

See if your tour will stop at a school and if so, take as many basic school supplies as you can jam into your luggage. Many times the kids will put on a short dance for you or the teachers will show you what they are learning. Both the adults and the kids will try to speak English, German, etc. to you. (if you get surrounded by a group of older kids, be alert as the art of pickpocketing seems to be a required subject in school. If you have been at the beach first, put a few sand crabs or crawdads in an easily accessible pocket and enjoy the reactions ) :D:D

Stop at a bodega and buy a couple of Presidente's and you will be thanked profusely.

Seriously consider a private tour so all the money goes to the local economy.

See y'all in May

PS: here are some photos and a map;

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Cen...mana/page1.htm

http://us.las-galeras-divers.com/tourism-samana.html

Archived