Patch for Seasickness?

2boyshere

Has anyone ever used a patch that goes behind your ear for seasickness on a cruise. Will it make me groggy? Going on my first cruise ever next week and am a tad nervous about sea sickness. I tend to get a bit sick in the back seat on cars and on rides. Would love to hear from someone with experience on this one! Thanks!

We cruise all the time, and I get woozy every so often, I have never used the patch though. I perfer Bonine. Dramamine works well to but you have to get the less drowsy (which still makes me drowsy but the regular kind knocks me out)... Bonine has been the best for me. They also have stuff at the Purser's desk which works well. The only thing I have found that did not work for me was the pressure bracelets.

I also get motion sickness easily. I can't even be a passenger in the front without getting queasy. On our first cruise, I just took Bonine (generic name is Meclizine). It worked pretty good, but the seas were fairly smooth also. On our second cruise in December, the seas were very rough. No matter how much Bonine, dramamine or ginger I took, nothing helped. We are going on the Wonder in two weeks. I have the scop patches this time. Hope we have smooth seas to go with it.

As mentioned, Bonine is meclizine, the same drug found in less-drowsy Dramamine. I take meclizine before I go out on boats and before I go to amusement parks with my boys. I'll even take it if I'm going to be a passenger in a car. I get sick easily but I'm fortunate that meclizine has only slight side-effects with me. Meclizine is unique that it will still work to some degree if it is taken after the first onset of symptoms. It won't be as effective, but anything helps.

The patches are scopolomine. Scop will make most people a litle drowsy. Some people have problems with dry mouth and blurred vision.

If you have a new sea-sickness medicine it's a good idea to try it out on dry land before you cruise to see what side effects it will have.

I had NO side effects. I was pleased. I was a bit queasy on the day we had moderate waves, but not bad--just stuck w/ ginger ale.

I might have had "dry mouth"--I just remember late in the cruise that I didn't know what to order to drink. I just thought I was sick of alcohol all day....

Happy cruising!

Kristin

I did the patch on advice from my mom. She said Dramamine makes her feel weird, and she was happy w/ the patches. But admittedly she uses them sometimes, and sometimes not. DH used nothing!

Thank you to everyone for their insight. I am hoping for calm seas and a good experience for my first time. I will wear the patch and have the non-drowsy dramamine for back up! 4 days to go! We had a foot of snow yesterday so really really looking forward to nice weather!

• 2 weeks later...

My adult dtr and I used the patch on our 1st cruise and it made us so sleepy we literally slept our trip away. We'd go to dinner and go back to our room to change and wake up still dressed in dinner attire,sprawled across our beds or the sofa. My granddtr. was only 8 at the time and she was talking about shows she saw, movies she watched, deck parties,etc. long after we got home. Apparently she couldn't get us to wake up so while my dtr. and I slept she just did her thing and enjoyed her vacation. Kind of scary thinking about it now. Luckily it was a short cruise. Also patch made me so sensitive to light I wore my sun glasses everywhere. My eyeballs looked like red cherries. We both get motion sickness easily, but now we take bonine starting a couple hrs. before boarding. We've had no problems and we don't sleep 12 hrs. at a time! LOL.

Archived