Newbie Flight Question

Carmenjames865

I have never been on a cruise before but have wanted to ever since DH and I went to Fort Lauderdale last year and I got to see the cruise ships in person!!! WOW!!! They are huge!!! :o

We are looking at doing the Freedom 10/03/10 cruise. There will be 7 of us going. Myself, DH, and our 5 year old twins, and another couple and there daughter!

My question is this: Allegiant Air is only booking right now through September 30th so I have no way of knowing what their flight schedule is for October. The September flight schedule flies into FLL on Saturday night and departs on the following Saturday afternoon. This schedule is exactly what we need.

I was wanting to book the cruise in the next two weeks but Allegiant has advised that it may be late March or early April before they open up October. Since we have no idea what the flight schedule is for Allegiant do you think we should just hold off on booking until we know?

Yes we have other airlines out of Knoxville but I hate to think of paying 1500.00 for 4 people to fly. That isnt really in our budget.

Any advice?? I would really appreciate it!! Thank You in advance!!!

You have awhile before you would be cruising so I would hold off on the air for now - you can book that later and you can research other airlines or do a price search. If the date for your cruise is pretty well set due to holidays, convenience to all of you etc then book it now. If I can make one recommendation to you, if you can afford it, get a balcony cabin. It is so nice to have when you have children that young, they may need a nap or down time and you will really enjoy having some quiet time for yourself and the balcony is ideal. You can even take them back there for lunch, pick it up on Lido and take back to your room.. Have a wonderful cruise - just a word of warning - you will be hooked. Ask away, this board is awesome. I also recommend you go on the rollcall for this particular sailing and you can talk to others who will be sailing with you.

You have time. You can book early saver 5 months before I think. Wait until the flight schedule comes out before booking.. Is there a reason you have to book in the next couple weeks? FYI, I like Allegiant. They fly into St Pete-Clearwater and do have good rates. I'd hold out and make sure the airfare is in place.

Also, Dont know if this will apply, but this last summer Allegiant flew out of our home town to LA & Las Vegas on Fri. & Mon., starting last Oct., they changed that to Thurs & Sun. I dont know if they do that sort of change every summer/winter season or not, but that could mess with your schedule.

Good Luck

If possible... try to plan your vacation time from work for leaving a day earlier than the cruise. That way, if you get a late flight you can still make the boat and pay for the cheap air. Most discounted air lines offer mainly later flights anyway, so you shouldn't have a problem getting home the same day of the cruise.

I would personally fly in a day early anyway (we are 2 days this time) just because of delays and such.

Then again, you may even find it cheaper to drive down. It's a 13 hr drive or so? Not too bad when you factor in the costs... if the flight was a deal breaker I would totally drive if possible.

How far are you from another airport (sorry- my US geography is horrible:o)... it could end up possibly saving you money if you had to drive an hour or so to another airport to take a different airline.

Having said that- if there is a particular cabin you have your eye on- I would book it now, but if you were just planning on seeing what is available/prices- you could wait another month or so to book. Should be fine...

Here in my area there are 3 airports that are pretty close (within an hour or so)- not including if I wanted to drive to Philly or somewhere like that. So, we always check the flights from all airports around us...sometimes driving 45 minutes can save you over $200 pp...

Sounds like you'll have a fun group to travel with- do you plan on flying with your friend and their family? If so, you'll want to cooridinate flight schedule with them too, right?

Have a great time!!!

Take care,

Diana:)

You have time. You can book early saver 5 months before I think. Wait until the flight schedule comes out before booking.. Is there a reason you have to book in the next couple weeks? FYI, I like Allegiant. They fly into St Pete-Clearwater and do have good rates. I'd hold out and make sure the airfare is in place.

I dont have to book in the next two weeks just wanted to get the ball rolling!!! DH and I flew on Allegiant last year for 186 TOTAL for both of us roundtrip. :D We love them plus the direct flight is great to.

Everything is falling into place for this trip perfectly! All of the kids are on the same Fall Break Schedules, adults vacation times have been approved, decided on which cruise, and now I am fearful that the flight schedule will change and I am fearful that we cannot afford another carrier and I could never talk my DH into driving 13 hours to FLL. :(

How far are you from another airport (sorry- my US geography is horrible:o)... it could end up possibly saving you money if you had to drive an hour or so to another airport to take a different airline.

Having said that- if there is a particular cabin you have your eye on- I would book it now, but if you were just planning on seeing what is available/prices- you could wait another month or so to book. Should be fine...

Here in my area there are 3 airports that are pretty close (within an hour or so)- not including if I wanted to drive to Philly or somewhere like that. So, we always check the flights from all airports around us...sometimes driving 45 minutes can save you over $200 pp...

Sounds like you'll have a fun group to travel with- do you plan on flying with your friend and their family? If so, you'll want to cooridinate flight schedule with them too, right?

Have a great time!!!

Take care,

Diana:)

Yes we are all wanting to fly together. Other area cities would be Nashville and Chattanooga. I guess I will try those if Allegiant changes their fall schedule on me! :mad:

It is fall break for almost all of Tennessee the first week in October so I am hoping that they dont change the schedule. Person can hope I guess!

I love Allegiant's business plan, flying to and from smaller markets at good rates. Anyways, I don't think an October cruise fare will change much in a month or two. I'd wait it out. Get the air figured out then book the cruise.

Also remember Nashville is only about 2 -3 hrs from Knoxville depending on your location. From Nashville, AA has 2-3 flights to Miami per day and Southwest has direct flights to FLL. I also remember reading that AA started flying to MIA from Knoxville (although I am sure it is quite a bit more than Allegiant or Southwest).

Does anyone have any tips for finding good airfare? I have only flown twice once in the late 90's for my Honeymoon and last year via Allegiant so I really dont know how to look for good deals.

I would like to spend less than $1000 for airfare. Right now rates are showing about $320 to 359 per person round trip!

Will they come down or are the prices more likely to go up instead? Thank You!

Does anyone have any tips for finding good airfare? I have only flown twice once in the late 90's for my Honeymoon and last year via Allegiant so I really dont know how to look for good deals.

I would like to spend less than $1000 for airfare. Right now rates are showing about $320 to 359 per person round trip!

Will they come down or are the prices more likely to go up instead? Thank You!

Don't be hung up on round trip itineraries. I routinely find cheaper airfare by booking one ways on different airlines. Last year, we flew Airtran from PIT-FLL for $69/person and then Continental from MIA-PIT for $49/person.

Archived