Golf Clubs

tkwbear

I am thinking of taking an extended cruise next fall, and I would like to bring my golf clubs with me. I don't want the baggage handlers to load them, as I've already had too much damage to my regular luggage.

Is it possible to bring those through security on the ship? I have a rolling hard-side travel bag, but it may be hard to fit through the scanner.

Has anyone brought their clubs on a cruise?

I am thinking of taking an extended cruise next fall, and I would like to bring my golf clubs with me. I don't want the baggage handlers to load them, as I've already had too much damage to my regular luggage.

Is it possible to bring those through security on the ship? I have a rolling hard-side travel bag, but it may be hard to fit through the scanner.

Has anyone brought their clubs on a cruise?

Yes, but they went through as luggage, but I'm thinking that you could take them through security. Even if they can't scan them, they could do a physical check. We once brought a TV (fairly large TV) on board to give to a friend that was working on one of Hal's cruise ship, and they didn't even blink an eye over that weird carry on. I would check with Hal though, don't want to give you bad info. We were just to stupid to check ourselves, never entered our mind that Hal might object to us bringing on a TV.

The case is hard plastic, but the way they load those baggage containers, if your bag is at the bottom, it will not fare well. I've had luggage for many years, but once I take it on a cruise it gets damaged.

Besides, when I get into port, I will want to take the clubs out to play, I will have to get used to getting them back on board. I think it's doable, though tenders would probably not be.

The case is hard plastic, but the way they load those baggage containers, if your bag is at the bottom, it will not fare well. I've had luggage for many years, but once I take it on a cruise it gets damaged.

Besides, when I get into port, I will want to take the clubs out to play, I will have to get used to getting them back on board. I think it's doable, though tenders would probably not be.

Hey tenders are no problem, those guys know how to handled a myriad of items. They take everything on them, wheelchairs, walker, strollers, and golf clubs.

We have taken our golf clubs on several cruises and different cruise lines before the airlines started their luggage pricing. We loaded them as regular luggage - soft travel bags - and had no problem. Taking them off and back on after golfing was no problem. The regular golf bag goes through the scanner with no problem.

DH took his soft bag thru' the scanner twice before he bought the hard case.

Now he just locks it and sends it with the luggage. Have never had any damage.

He also carries the soft bag on and off the ship himself.

As you can see below, we are booked for 2 golf cruises.

Pat

That should be a great golfing adventure. We did Australia and New Zealand in 2008 and had a great time. If you get the chance, play The Coast Golf Club in Little Bay just outside Sydney. Like the name says, it's right on the coast and could put Pebble to shame for the vistas (but the course conditions can't compare - in both countries, water is very precious and you can expect to see some brown grass). Wish we could go along but were doing the Med in November (plan to play in Cairo) and Oceania's new ship, Marina, in March 2011. Good golfing.

Thanks for the tip. I played previously in Christchurch, NZ. It was a strange public course, 12 holes, with people walking across the fairways with babies and dogs. The city park was large, with a golf course in the middle of it.

Do you recall what the green fees were at Little Bay?

Sorry, I don't remember but as I recall it was quite reasonable. We had an experience in New Zealand as well. There was no one in the pro shop but a little note on the window asked that you leave the greens fee in a box. We paid but there were several who didn't. And there were people walking all over the course. I know we have some honor system courses here but that one surprised us.

Archived