AA Advantage/frequent miles question

cruzegirl

Hi,

I'm looking for some info. I've only recently started traveling enough to have frequent flyer miles with AA. I currently have 48000 miles. Yet, this frequent flyer miles/awards and such are confusing to me.

I know that AA charges for checked baggage unless your Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status. How do I get to Gold status? This is confusing to me. And another exception for paying for checked luggage is:

Exceptions to these policies include customers who purchase First or Business Class tickets, AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members as well as customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class.

I purchase my airfare via AA. How do I know if I meet the "full fare tickets in economy class" exception? I don't believe there are any restrictions on my fare. Thanks for any info. anyone can give.

Gold status on AA comes from 25,000 elite qualifying miles in a calendar year. You have that status for the balance of the year, then the next 14 months as well.

Full-fare economy is a "B" or "Y" class ticket on AA. These are the fully-refundable, walk-up fares. There's a fare basis for your ticket...if it starts with B or Y, you have a "full-fare". Another tip off....if you can't get a full cash refund for your ticket without a fee, then you don't have a full-fare. I would highly doubt that you have any full-fare tickets - they are often 5 to 10 times more expensive than the highly discounted fares.

For more details on elite status with AA, you can look it up directly in the AAdvantage section of their website.

I know that AA charges for checked baggage unless your Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status. How do I get to Gold status?
If you have frequent flyer status with another oneworld airline (ie you have reached a level that is equivalent to oneworld Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald), AA also allows you the exemption.

Archived