Transportation from Rome to port

maggie12345ab

Well, there is the best way and also the cheapest way. The best way is to arrange for a private car/driver or book with a reputable limo company (there are plenty in Rome including the oft recommended Romelimo company). The cheap way is to simply take the regional train from Rome (you can catch it at the Termini or some other stations) to Civitavecchia, than walk the 4 blocks to the port entrance (it is a flat walk on a decent sidewalk) where you can get the free shuttle bus directly to your ship.

Hank

We did the train last year and was easy. We checked out of our hotel in the morning and dropped our bags off at the luggage storage area in the basement of the train station. If interested, you can get the information from the US Embassy's website. The fee is a couple of euros per bag. We then toured Rome one last morning.

I did some research on the Italia train web site to get the schedules. We used the kiosk at the station to purchase our tickets (about 15 euros for first class each). I wouldn't do this if I had more than one suitcase per person. We took the express train which was about 1 hour. The walk from the station to the port was very easy based upon previous posts on this site.

Maddog, what hotel did you stay in? Your idea sounds good so would try to do the same.

Can you give more detailed explanation on the train though. What station did you use? Last experience with train in Italy was a "nightmare" even with my mom-in-law who speaks fluent Italian and was in fact born in Rome.

While waiting for Maddog to come back with specifics on their trip, we can tell from the post that they left from Roma Termini station (left luggage office in basement). On the current schedule, there are three fast trains each afternoon from Termini to Civitavecchia.

The first two are ES City trains, which travel non-stop from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia at 12:10 and 2:10 PM. The trip takes 41 minutes and costs Euro 17,50 in first class and Euro 12,50 in second class.

There is also an IC train at 3:46 PM from Roma Termini. This train makes one stop at Roma Ostiense, then goes non-stop to Civitavecchia. The trip takes 49 minutes and costs Euro 11,50 in first class and Euro 9,00 in second class.

Maddog, what hotel did you stay in? Your idea sounds good so would try to do the same.

Can you give more detailed explanation on the train though. What station did you use? Last experience with train in Italy was a "nightmare" even with my mom-in-law who speaks fluent Italian and was in fact born in Rome.

What is your specific concern? I have used the train at various times from Termini (even before I could speak much Italian) with no problems.

If you have a hotel by Termini, btw, most hotels will hold your luggage even after you check out, so if you didn't want to use the "left luggage" option, you could pick it up from your hotel later when you're ready to leave.

We are going to be staying in Rome pre cruise for 2 nights and then taking some type of transportation to Civitavecchia for our cruise with HAL on Wednesday May 19. Since there are 5 of us (kids ages 19, 17, 10) how does train fare compare with a limo or taxi service? We are not opposed to walking the distance from the train station to the port. My husband has decided we are traveling very light!;)

Diane

We are going to be staying in Rome pre cruise for 2 nights and then taking some type of transportation to Civitavecchia for our cruise with HAL on Wednesday May 19. Since there are 5 of us (kids ages 19, 17, 10) how does train fare compare with a limo or taxi service? We are not opposed to walking the distance from the train station to the port. My husband has decided we are traveling very light!;)

Diane

A private transfer (limo or car) will run you 130 to 150 euro for a party of 5.

If you look at GSPLover's excellent train website, you'll see that the cost per ticket from Rome to Civitavecchia is 4.50 euro per person for the regular (not express) train. So....for 22.50 euro you can all take the train for a savings of over 100 euro. And if you travel light it is easy.

Where do you place your luggage on the train? I take it you need to get all your luggage on the train in one trip and keep it with you at all times. You probably don't want much over 30 pounds per person?

What to do with the luggage on the train is always an issue. On the regional trains, there are small overhead racks that can handle smaller pieces, but the larger ones need to stay on the floor with you. I wind up taking up at least two seats between me and my stuff, but the train doesn't offer other options. It's good to keep the weight down to that which you can lift over your head, but for many cruisers that's just not realistic.

We agree with the last poster regarding luggage. We have used the train when we had lots of luggage and it was only practical to keep the luggage at the end of the car. In that case, we kept a close eye on our stuff and made sure nobody had an opportunity to snatch the stuff when we pulled into stations.

Hank

What to do with the luggage on the train is always an issue. On the regional trains, there are small overhead racks that can handle smaller pieces, but the larger ones need to stay on the floor with you. I wind up taking up at least two seats between me and my stuff, but the train doesn't offer other options. It's good to keep the weight down to that which you can lift over your head, but for many cruisers that's just not realistic.

We tend to travel very light. Since we are a family of 5 we each take one suitcase, the small size that can also be considered carry on. Since they are wheeled it is easy to walk with them. Then the children (ages 19, 17 and 10)will each have a backpack for whatever they want to take with them such as books, games, snacks, etc. I figure since this is the Mediterranean the weather will be decent so we won't have to pack heavy clothes so that should help. Having a small suitcase also helps in not going overweight on the scales at the airport. We tried once buying a very large suitcase when our children were smaller thinking that way only my husband would have the suitcase and I could take care of the kids without worrying about extra bags. It just doesn't work anymore with all the airline regulations! My husband regularly travels for work with just a laptop bag and the small carryon suitcase. He often doesn't check in his luggage because airports aggravate him so much and that is one less thing to wait for at the end of the flight!

diane

GSPLover or CruiseMom42,

I'll be arriving on the 13th in Rome and will be staying overnight in a Rome Hotel. My cruise is not till the 14th. If I were to take the train, what area in Rome should I stay in? I heard that it is better to take the train from Travestere than Termini? I've been in Rome before twice so not going to go to the major tourist spots. A nice stroll in Piazza Narvona with a good meal will suffice for us on the 13th. Just savoring the local atmosphere...

Any thoughts? thanks

If I were to take the train, what area in Rome should I stay in? I heard that it is better to take the train from Travestere than Termini?

If you want a non-stop (or nearly non-stop) train, Termini is your primary option. There is one express train a day that makes one stop at Roma Ostiense before going directly to Civitavecchia.

If you are okay with the regional train, you can depart from Ostiense, Trastevere or San Pietro.

I find the tram easier to use with luggage than either a bus or the metro, so I usually go to the Trastevere station, which you can reach from Largo Argentina via the #8 tram. A hotel right in the Largo Argentina area would be easy for transportation as well as be within close walking distance to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

Will you also be arriving in Rome from the airport via train? If so, the local train from the airport (rather than the Leonardo Express) to Trastevere, then the #8 tram to the end of the line at Largo Argentina, is an easy way to arrive in the city.

We stayed in the Termini area last November. We went out at night and did not find it at all uncomfortable. We walked with our rolling suitcases and small backpacks to the station. We took a regional train that ended in Civitavecchia (Thanks to GSPlover for the help figuring this out!) This cost 4.50 Euros and the train was almost empty. We had no problem therefore with space for suitcases.

We did have to go down and up the stairs at the port end but that was the only part that was at all difficult. It is an easy walk to the shuttle busses.

Sorry for the delay. I was in Hawaii last week visiting my DH at college and avoiding the Tsunami. We stayed at the Hilton hotel by the airport. There were a few benefits for me by staying there. The first was that I was able to walk to the hotel from the airport and avoided getting a taxi. The walk is about 400 yards. The hotel had a free shuttle to downtown that left every two hours and dropped you off near the center of town. We only had one night in Rome so this was the best logistical solution for us.

The next morning, we checked out and walked back toward the airport to get to the train station. This station runs trains called the Leonardo Express between the airport and the main train station in Rome called Termini. We bought our tickets at the station and waited about 30 minutes for the train.

The train ride was about 30 minutes. When we got to Termini, found the left luggage area and dropped off our bags. It took us two laps of the station to find the area but that is part of travel.

We bought our tickets for the express train to Civativecchia at one of the self service kiosks in the station lobby the day before while we toured Rome. We got first class tickets.

I read someone's post about luggage storage on the train. I heaved the bags on the overhead bins but felt like a fool when we got to the port station. All of the locals placed their heavier luggage in the space provided between the seats. The seats on the train in first class have four seats that face each other with a little table in the middle. This means that there are seats that are back to back between sections. There is enough room to place two 21 inch bags.

At the port station, you get about two to four minutes to get off the train with your luggage. I saw some people struggle because they had too much luggage and were not in the best of health to move quickly. You will most likely be dropped off on a middle platform. This will require walking down a flight of stairs, in a tunnel under the tracks and up a flight of stairs. I estimate that there are 30-40 stairs each.

We then crossed the street and got on the sidewalk by the water. The walk was about 10 minutes to the port gate where a cruise line bus awaited. Keep the water to your left and you can't miss it.

I hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
What is the best way to get from Rome to Civitavecchia to board our cruise? I see there are several private cars companies online...does anyone have experience with a reputable one. Also, how much money and how much time should it take from downtown Rome?

HI

to answer your specific question. We just did this last week, with RomePickup,and good thing we booked, because the trains were on strike.

It was 150 euro for 6 of us with luggage in an AC van. It took 1 hr on a Sunday morning no traffic, we were near the Trevi Fountain, on Via Venezia,at the Hotel Italia (thats another thread) email them for a quote.We also used them from the port back to the airport(FCO) 150 euro also on a sunday morning , no traffic, and it took again about an hour.

have fun!

Archived