Sailing out of NYC-Any tips?

emksb

We are sailing out of NYC on May 7th, aboard the Miracle. We are going to Half Moon Cay, Nassau, and Freeport.

This is our first time going out of NYC and on the Miracle, so I am looking for any tips to make our cruise more enjoyable.

Thanks ahead for all the replies:)

We are sailing out of NYC on May 7th, aboard the Miracle. We are going to Half Moon Cay, Nassau, and Freeport.

This is our first time going out of NYC and on the Miracle, so I am looking for any tips to make our cruise more enjoyable.

Great shots leaving and returning under the Veranzano Narrows bridge and the Statue of Liberty. The Miracle is a wonderful ship. Enjoy

Are you asking for something specific? I live on Long Island and have cruised out of NY 3 times. It's awesome!!

Just looking for tips.

ie. Cab vs Carnival transfer (From LGA). Wine store close to port, Don't go to the bathroom in the third stale from the left in the terminal.

Really anything would be great.

Just lloking for tips. ie. Cab vs Carnival transfer. Wine store close to port, Don't go to the bathroom in the third stale from the left in the terminal.

Carnival sails from the old pier next to the Intrepid (aircraft carrier) on Manhattan's west side on the Hudson River. If you are flying in, you should check out the East coast home port blog. Many things listed there.

We are sailing the sam Itinerary in July. This is our 3rd time on the Miracle. We love that ship. It has a great layout. We live in NJ and will be taking a limo into Manhattan. We are booked Midship on the 6th deck with an extended balcony. Have a great trip. I know the CD will be Malcom Burns whom I hear is great.;)

Depending on how many there are in your party, I would recommend renting a cabana at Half Moon Cay. They're pricey - we paid $225 last summer - but you get the shaded, air-conditioned cabana with four chairs/table, two padded loungers, snorkel gear/floats, a misting fan and a shower. They'll bring bottled water and sodas, fruit, chips/salsa/guacamole, veggies and dip. The price covers up to 4 people, and you can add two people for an extra charge. We had four people, and once we priced excursions we found that renting the cabana wasn't much more expensive than booking excursions for the four of us.

I have sailed out of the ny port many times. If you are taking public transportation to the port which is easy, find out which street the boat is docked at. There is at least 3 piers they run for 6 or 7 blocks.

There are no stores right next to the Piers, there are some on 10th ave and even more on 9 ave including a liquor store. (Not a fun walk with luggage)

If you are flying into NY the easiest way is to just take a cab. But there are many choices from a bus that goes right into the city for around $10 pp or even a city bus (M60) from LaGuardia that goes to the upper west side. (There should be a liquor store nearby, they are all over the city) From there you can transfer to a bus going downtown. If you take the city bus you will need to pick up a metro card which is sold at the main terminal.

What other information are you looking for?

Bring bonine as well;)

We are doing the Miracle the next week May 15th please do not tell me that the waters are rough that time of year! I take Bonine anyway ( never get seaick, I lose my equilibrium when the seas are rough) please tell me it is not that bad. The last time I cruised out of NY was with my parents on the Michaelangelo about 45 years ago! We live right across the Hudson River and thought it would be nice not to fly for a change. Only 10 minutes and we are at the port. Am I going to regret this decision??

Welcome aboard.. Come visit our roll call..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038239

Bulldog

My daughter and I sailed out of NYC a few years ago on the Carnival Triumph. Our only problem was when we returned and found 3 other ships in port at the same time. Catching a cab was extremely difficult as there was no organization or prioritization. We nearly missed our flight out of Newark at 1pm.

David

Cruising the next week 5/15 to eastern caribe...Garnd Turk,HMC and nassua, i did not know Miracle is going to Freeport....Any time you leave the North East and into the North Atlantic you have to be prepared for at least one night of rough seas...did this on legend about 6 years ago ....has rough seas leaving NYC till about the next afternoon....take sea sick meds..just in case....watch for Ellis island and staue of Liberty, it is moving to see ground zero....staten island ferry...verrazano narrows bridge...all the ships anchored off the city waiting there turn....the intrepid......have fun and take care of here for the next set of cruisers....:cool:

Bring wrist bands or ear patches as the Atlantic seas can be rough before you get south of Florida at that time of year. As long as you have that you'll have a great time.

Depending on how many there are in your party, I would recommend renting a cabana at Half Moon Cay. They're pricey - we paid $225 last summer - but you get the shaded, air-conditioned cabana with four chairs/table, two padded loungers, snorkel gear/floats, a misting fan and a shower. They'll bring bottled water and sodas, fruit, chips/salsa/guacamole, veggies and dip. The price covers up to 4 people, and you can add two people for an extra charge. We had four people, and once we priced excursions we found that renting the cabana wasn't much more expensive than booking excursions for the four of us.

Why rent all of that at a hefty price when you have been freezing up north and you want to be in the sun? Unless of course the sun is not an option due to other circumstances?

We are doing the Miracle the next week May 15th please do not tell me that the waters are rough that time of year! I take Bonine anyway ( never get seaick, I lose my equilibrium when the seas are rough) please tell me it is not that bad. The last time I cruised out of NY was with my parents on the Michaelangelo about 45 years ago! We live right across the Hudson River and thought it would be nice not to fly for a change. Only 10 minutes and we are at the port. Am I going to regret this decision??

We have done three cruises out of NY. On each one the first and last days at sea were a bit rough as you go around the Outer Banks. Sailing out of NY it was better by like 3-4 pm on the first sea day.

Why rent all of that at a hefty price when you have been freezing up north and you want to be in the sun? Unless of course the sun is not an option due to other circumstances?

Irish heritage + family history of skin cancer = stay out of the sun. Love being outside and swimming, though!:)

We have done three cruises out of NY. On each one the first and last days at sea were a bit rough as you go around the Outer Banks. Sailing out of NY it was better by like 3-4 pm on the first sea day.

Thanks..I will have plenty of Bonine in case anyone needs any!

Just looking for tips.

ie. Cab vs Carnival transfer (From LGA). Wine store close to port, Don't go to the bathroom in the third stale from the left in the terminal.

Without a doubt .....CAB CAB CAB....you will be waiting forever for the bus to fill up. When we went in 2007 from NYC we booked the Carnival transfer and we waited on the bus for hours wating for a total of 20 ppl.

I've been reading this thread and the responses made me wonder...how rough are the seas on the first/last day of that itinerary in July?

I don't get seasick that much and neither does my soon-to-be-DW; we're just curious what the seas will be like.

Thanks!

My tip would be to go a day early and stay at the Best Western conventions center. You are just a few blocks from the pier. I got a good rate in November before I went on the Dream (now that was a rough cruise).

If you fly into JFK you can take the airport shuttle and the A train for like $ 7.00 vs $ 50 cab fare. I made sure I only had one bag.

The Intrepid is a fun few hours for the family for the day of sailing.

Have to agree about it rough on the Atlantic. I love rough weather. We even had some in June on the Queen Mary 2 in 2004 8 days to the caribbean.

Tom in Long Beach

Archived